Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Developer Help Center

Xero Developer Community

Community > API Authentication >

Demo company consumer key reset

Started by Sinisa Louc -   in API Authentication

Hi,

I am testing my app against the demo company. I know that demo company has its mock data reset after 28 days, and that's fine. However, the consumer key/secret is also reset, which means that I either have to:

a) make sure to refresh the credentials manually within the 28-day period, otherwise tests will start failing

b) create my own private app and make up tons of data for testing (demo company is nice because it already has all this data)

Is there a way to prevent this reset, or perhaps a way to get the consumer key via an API instead of manual c/p from app dashboard? Or should I simply stop using the demo company and create my own private app just for testing purposes?

Thanks,

Sinisa
Hi Sinisa,

When the Demo Company resets the old company is deleted and a new one takes its place. This is why your integration loses its connection and you have to register a new Private app and get new credentials. There isn't a way to extend the time to reset. However, you can connect the same app you'd been using to the new Demo Company. You just need to update the app with the new consumer key and secret.

If you don't want to register a new app and update the credentials every 28 days, you can always subscribe to a Xero organisation. The first 30 days are free, and then you'll need to pay for the subscription. If you do this you will need to populate the organisation with your own sample data. You can find a list of the pros and cons of using a trial company vs the Demo company in our Developer Center.

Thanks,
Angela

Angela Marshall (Xero Staff)  

Hi Angela,

OK, everything you said was my understanding too. I was just wondering if there's some way around it. I have the subscription (that is, my company) and we will be using the partner app, but I need something just for testing, and demo company is great except for the fact that someone needs to manually update the app with new consumer key. I guess I will either keep a separate private company or build a mock using something like WireMock by recording the requests/responses made in current test scenarios. I hope you don't change the API that often :)

Cheers,
Sinisa

Sinisa Louc  

Hi Sinisa,

If you're in the process of being certified for a Partner app you'll want to contact your Developer Relations team member and they can go over what the best practices for incoming partners are. Otherwise, if you're developing Private apps you will need to schedule a roughly once a month task to register a new app and update the keys.

Thanks
Angela

Angela Marshall (Xero Staff)  

So if we don't want our integration tests to break every 28 days we have to pay for an additional organisation?

That seems a little disingenuous. It would be trivially easy to just not reset the authentication credentials, and the only reason there is to reset them in the first place would be to contrive the inconvenience of forcing a human into the loop once a month.

James De Vries  

The above is spot on the money, it really does seem incredulous that if you had a demo company attached to a test/staging instance of an application it requires a human to go and reset things every month to keep it working.

Matthew Hillman  

+1 for the above. Please don't reset the API credentials for the Demo company. It's not practical to have to do this every 28 days for a staging environment or to have to pay for an organisation that's just used for testing.

Evan Williams  

+1

We just integrated with Xero a month ago and today our entire staging environment fell over.

The "documentation" states data is reset but what it doesn't tell you is that:

1. Your webhooks you set up also disappear into oblivion.
2. Your access tokens become un-usable.

This makes it extremely hard to have more than just a production environment running.

The proposed solution to pay for a full account is absolutely insane and we would have been better off keeping everything inside Stripe.

Stripe gives you an always-on sandbox for free, because, ya know, you're already a paying customer with them...

Ash Connell