Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Developer Help Center

Xero Developer Community

Community > API Authentication >

You have reached the limit of invoices you can approve.

Started by abhishek patel -   in API Authentication

Hi i get this error while inserting approved invoice "You have reached the limit of invoices you can approve." how to solve this.
Hi there

There could be two possible reasons for this:
- If you are on a trial of Xero, there is a limit of 10 accounts receivable and 10 accounts payable invoices that can be set to approved
- If you have the Small business edition of Xero, there are also limits to the number of invoices you can approve: http://www.xero.com/pricing/

If you are using a trial of Xero for development, I recommend you activate the Demo company instead as this has no limits on it (the data just expires after 28 days).

Thanks

Ronan

Ronan Quirke (Community Manager)  

I'm sorry for re-opening old thread, I think this is better than open same question in the new thread.

Anyway, the problem with Demo company is that it's only 28 days and I need to create another company if I want to extend the time limit (or create another account).

On the other hand, development phrase need very a lot of data (including invoices) and testing.

@Ronan, do you have any suggestion for this? Of course my clients own their paid Xero accounts (I believe they have medium subscription), but since they using it in real business, they can't just give the accounts to me and let me break they financial transaction ;). Is it possible to create separated company account in Xero (for paid account) or there's special configuration for paid account to create unlimited data in Xero for development/testing purpose?

Thanks,
xsalefter

xsa lefter  

Hi,

Another option is to open a Xero trial account which you can use for up to 180 days. However there is a limitation on the amount of approved invoices you can create within the trial account.

If you want to create more than 5 invoices then you need to purchase the trial account by entering a payment information.

W. Abdullah (Community Manager)  

Hi, We are working with a client to develop a solution using Xero, the client is currently testing the solution and cannot make the decision to approve the purchase of Xero until the testing phase ends. Is there anyway to extend the trial period beyond the 180 day limit to allow for our testing phase?
Thanks

David Karl  

@David - we feel the 180 day trial is fairly generous compared to the usual 30 days for most apps. I'm afraid we can't do better than that.

@Ronan, thanks for your response. That's pretty much as we had expected but needed to know for sure so we can sort the situation out.

David Karl  

We have a developer who has hit this limit - he has posted 30 test invoices through the API (he's had a test account for 30 days). We're extremely confused by the limitation and how to continue testing (and the fact that he's hit a limit at 30 doesn't seem to match any published trial numbers). We have a couple of paid accounts but aren't ready to move off of testing on the development side.

Rich Brandwein  

@Rich since this thread we have written up a more comprehensive guide on development account options.

To your point, if you are using a trial organisation, our documentation states a limit on the number of approved (AUTHORISED) invoices. There is no limit to the amount of invoices that can be created at DRAFT status, which probably explains what you are seeing.

Thanks - that was indeed the issue.

Rich Brandwein  

I just created an invoice (1st for this month) without any problem, I have a draft invoice from a couple of days ago prior to the end of the month, however I'm unable to approve it, (approve button is greyed out).
Should I delete it and recreate the invoice? is this normal behaviour?

edit: I'm on a paid account

Adam Anderson  

Sending it via email as a draft invoice, then allowed me to approve the invoice and send it as a normal invoice.
I think this is a legitimate bug.

Adam Anderson  

@Adam our developer forums are not the best place to get customer support on using the Xero application itself, but we have a number of ways we can figure it out with you: https://www.xero.com/support/