Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Developer Help Center

Xero Developer Community

Community > API Authentication >

Asked for 'Enter export password' in openssl after third and final command. What password?!

Started by Bob Burgher -   in API Authentication

Attempting to set up Xact for Xero and apparently I need to become a geek in order to achieve this. The instructions on the Xero site are bloody useless. I've typed in all this stuff into openssl:
1.openssl genrsa -out privatekey.pem 1024
2.openssl req -newkey rsa:1024 -x509 -key privatekey.pem -out publickey.cer -days 365
3.openssl pkcs12 -export -out public_privatekey.pfx -inkey privatekey.pem -in publickey.cer
Took a while to figure out that 'openssl' is not part of the command line (at least I know what a command line is - pretty certain most Xero users won't).
After third line and return, asked for a number of details (country, company etc)... and now the damn thing wants a password.
Help! I've got a business to run!
Hi Bob

The password is either one you decide on you set yourself, or indeed you could just hit enter and no password will be set for the generated certificate.

I think for the Xact link, it may be better to not set a password. This will not effect the overall security of the application.

Sorry this is a bit tricky to navigate. This sort of thing was only really envisaged to be used by developers, and not end users, but a number of applications such as Xact need to generate a custom application for each end user.

I will see what we can do to make more easy to follow instructions.

Ronan

Ronan Quirke (Community Manager)  

I am having the same problem and so I can see that 9 years later it has not been made easier. I am trying to install the Woo commerce xero plugin to my website and I have tried entering passwords as suggested above and just pressing enter and neither work on my Max. Any ideas please - this is hopeless.

Shayla Strapps