Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > Using Xero >

Sending Invoices

Started by Daniel Lewis -   in Using Xero

Should be able to batch send out invoices.
Hi Daniel,

You certainly can do this. I presume that you mean batch send by email.

From the Sales, Invoices, Awaiting Payment screen, simply select all the invoices that you want to send using the checkboxes on the left, then click email. You can edit/select the email message, verify that all contacts have a valid email address, and then send.

Peter.
Xero Certified Advisor, CPA & Chartered Accountant and Canada's ONLY Xero award winning accountant (Most Valuable Professional). I also give implementation advice to clients all over the globe. Get a Xero MVP on your team! Visit my blog for various Xero articles.

You can book a live remote Xero support session with me or self-paced Xero training for a very reasonable price.

Peter McCarroll  

I love the above solution.... .just click on the invoices you want to send and voila! I have hundreds of invoices on my current list, some of which have been sent and some have not. So I have to go through the whole list and check the unsent ones in order to send them, or visa versa check the whole lot and uncheck the sent ones! I am new to Xero and am finding so many clunky and time-consuming features that I am seriously considering going back to MYOB - at least you can do things like select unsent invoices only..... and receive cash to undeposited funds! I have pages and pages of things that just don't work for me sadly. :(

Margo Leggott  

Margo - try clicking on the column header to sort all the unsent ones to the top. Then click the box beside the first one, scroll down to find the last one, hold shift, and click the box for the last one. All unsent invoices selected in a few seconds. If you prefer MYOB's approach then you an always go back! It would take to twice as long to do my books that way, but it's your call.

Peter McCarroll  

Thanks! Great tip! Can you suggest anything for my banking problem??? I receive cash in dribs and drabs and never know when I am going to be going to the bank. I used to receipt the cash to an undeposited funds account and then when I was ready to go to the bank I would deposit it to the bank account and then go and bank the money. It is quite important for my business that my customers receive a receipt that shows the actual day that they paid the money. The only way I can see to do this is to receipt the cash to the bank account and then void it and re-receipt (batch deposit) when I am going to the bank. Just seems convoluted and difficult to track? Any suggestions?? Also, I find receipting multiple receipts (like 50 at a time) to be time consuming as I seemingly have to go into each invoice, click on the payment (in blue) and then click "print receipt" and then select the receipt template and then and then and then..... doing my head in!

Margo Leggott  

P.S. Sorry if I was a bit sarcastic in my previous post! You know how it is when you don't seem to be able to get technology to do what you expect?! ..... I'll try harder to be more pleasant next time!! LOL...

Margo Leggott  

Yes Margo - I resisted the urge to write a scathing comment!!

You certainly can use the Undeposited Funds method in Xero as well. Please see my article Working with Petty Cash in Xero which may help.

For receipting, don't forget the Batch Receipt option as well. You may have to do them in small batches, but if you combine this withe the Undeposited Funds/Petty Cash approach you should find less stress.

Xero Certified Advisor, Canadian CPA & New Zealand CA and Xero's award winning Most Valuable Professional. I give implementation advice to clients all over the globe. Get a Xero MVP on your team! Visit my blog for various Xero articles.

You can book a live remote Xero support session with me or self-paced Xero training for a very reasonable price.

Peter McCarroll  

As the Office Manager, I am in only twice a week and the other staff have to handle payments on those other days.
I created two fake bank accounts. One is Petty Cash, which I use to record payments in and out made in actual cash. We keep a small cash float to make change and buy small things, and when there is too much in the tin for day to day, we bank it. The banked amount does not always match the recently paid invoice amount - it's simply whatever amount we are actually banking.
The other is an Undeposited Funds account. We still accept cheques from our customers and there is no simple way to record these in Xero. Sometimes the cheques sit in a drawer waiting to be deposited and I do not want them to be ignored, so I had to create this account. It's not the same as the cash one, so I needed separate accounts.
The other function I use this account for is when a customer pays on EFTPOS but needs a written record (e.g. invoice with the balance owing after the payment). Usually, the EFTPOS transactions can only be recorded via the reconciliation process the following day (when I'm not there - so the next time I am in) and this delay can cause problems when a customer really needs to be able to see their actual zero balance, or how much they still owe.
I have to create transfers between accounts to make sure it all matches up with the bank reconciliation.
If I deposit a combination of cheques and cash, I create a transfer from Petty Cash to Undeposited Funds, then a transfer from Undeposited Funds to the bank account. This figure will be the total deposit amount, including both cheques and cash deposited.
It is much clumsier than the system I used in Reckon, but it does work.

Catherine Matthys  

I have exactly the same problem and find it very annoying! I also am not in the office every day and find that the lack of an undeposited funds bank account which automatically calculates and transfers funds over to the bank account once you have asked to "deposit to account" along with a bank deposit slip with all the cheque numbers etc on it is VERY FRUSTRATING and relies on a lot of manual calculations and me not making an error. Only today I went to do the banking and I had $30 too much actual cash in my bank folder, but now no idea why. As with you Catherine, if I was going to the bank every day it might be different, but with fewer people paying by cash or cheque, this feature (or lack of) makes life difficult and just a bit stressful. Hopefully Xero will address this issue soon as I believe that there are quite a few who feel the same.

Margo Leggott  

Catherine, with regards to your cheques and Eftpos payments received, is there a reason why the amounts can't be marked as paid into the actual bank account using the receive a payment section at the bottom of the sales invoice screen or the batch deposit if multiple invoices are being paid at once. Then when the amounts are actually deposited (or you are back in to office to complete the bank reconciliation) matching the deposit with the payments received. This would still allow you or the other staff to mark the invoice as paid when the cheque or eftpos amount was received so they can print an invoice showing a nil balance or current amount owing the same day the payment is received and you don't have to record transfers between accounts.
You can still record a payment against an invoice even if the money isn't deposited into the bank account till a later point. You just need to make sure you match the deposit to the correct payments received when the amount is finally cleared in the bank account.
Hope this helps.

Tamara Black