Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > Feature Requests >
Vote

Custom GL lines on invoices and bills

Started by Russell Kallman in Feature Requests | Idea

Hi Guys. One of the very few good features of NetSuite (and in general there are not many) is that it allows there to be custom GL entries associated with existing document types such as bills, invoices, payments etc.

Right now every external addon is extremely cumbersome. They need to post manual journals separately to the bill or invoice to account for costs or other accounting specific needs for their context.

Imagine how much easier the reporting and analysis for your customers would be if those external addons could simply add additional non-standard journal lines to bills and invoices. You can start by only allowing certified addons to do this.

From your perspective you just need to do one trick. Expose some signal to the user that there are additional journal impacts associated with the document and then allow then to see the full GL impacts related to the document.

This kind of journal link/preview is table stakes for your competition if you want to play in the mid-tier world and climb up the ladder from very small businesses.
Can see where you're going here, however quite different to the current way in which Xero works, Russell.
Do get it's not perhaps the solution you're asking, however in Xero quotes and purchase order transactions won't hit the general ledger until turned into an invoice or bill.
So, you could log non journal affecting information within the body of a quote or purchase order and once ready, turn this into an invoice or bill.

Not to say that this'll never happen however being open it's not something we're looking to develop atm, and like you've noted I'd recommend looking into connected apps that can currently house the data you're looking to store for these transactions.

Kelly M (Community Manager)

I'm not sure you do understand where I am going. I will try and be clearer in my communication. This is not a problem that a connected app can solve. In fact, the way Xero works today makes life tougher for connected apps.

Let me illustrate an example. I use DEAR inventory, one of your leading inventory addons. It is forced to generate hundreds of manual journals to account for inventory costs in the general ledger. All those manual journals are directly related to invoices.

There are two problems with this.

1)The accounting entries related to the invoices are in two different places and it is hard to compare and contrast with a lot of clicking and searching.
2)Our accountant gets swamped by hundreds of manual journal entries that aren't really manual journals - it is just that connected apps are forced to generate manual journals.

The ability to add additional journal lines on invoices and bills (that are not shown during printout or email to customers/suppliers) would solve this problem.

At a minimum you should add a filter condition for manual journals that allows you to differentiate between partner generated journal entries and genuine manual journals entered into the system.

Russell Kallman