Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > Using Xero Connected Apps >

Seeking good project management add on app for the (UK) construction industry

Started by Cate Ratcliffe -   in Using Xero Connected Apps

Are there any accountants or bookkeepers out there who could recommend a good app for the construction industry for valuations, sub contracting, project management, invoicing etc? At the moment we are working with Xero for invoicing and bills, plus excel spreadsheets for the valuations and Project Management. We need to integrate the two.
Hello Cate,

You my check on this link for the list of Project management apps that you can use. The list is ranked based on their popularity,also, you can see the reviews for each app to help you decide on which one would be best suit your needs.

Hope that helps.

Kriesel Gaspar  

Thank you Kriesel - looked at these but was wondering if anyone out there has actually tried and tested any - we project many subcontractors on many jobs so involves complicated quoting / valuations, subcontractor percentages, self billing, time management, invoicing etc etc - some of these apps are good for sole traders but not for more complex accounting. Thinking of trialling Work Flow Max but need to know if we can upload bespoke valuation templates for each construction project - which could then link to any sales invoicing and purchasing, etc for that particular job.....

Cate Ratcliffe  

Hi, I'm joining the thread as I also run a UK construction company using Xero for our accounts and am looking for exactly the same solutions to the same issues.

Andrew Evans  

I'm going to trial Workflow Max - I'll let you know how I get on, Andrew!

Cate Ratcliffe  

Thanks Cate! The other pain I have with Xero is CIS reporting as the inbuilt functionality launched earlier this year doesn't work as we expected and we can't use it, see the thread I started here for more info: https://community.xero.com/business/discussion/72028198

I'm interested to know if you have a similar problem and how do you work around it?

Andrew Evans  

Ah yes - we project manage and then subcontract out to other building companies who incorporate all the different aspects of building - so no individual carpenters, bricklayers, electricians etc - these are all employed through the subcontractor. We therefore only need the breakdown of Materials and Labour for CIS purposes, but I can see your problem. Be good if Tracking could be expanded to more than 2 categories (I personally don't find tracking the easiest function to report on either - but then I haven't really tried yet!)

Cate Ratcliffe  

Hi Cate, OK so not paying all the individual subcontractors does simply things in your setup quite a bit, but I still wonder how you marry up your live accounts to your project budget / contract sum analysis in order to monitor costs and produce monthly valuations etc if you run everything through only two expense accounts (CIS Labour & CIS Materials) on your P&L in Xero? We have something like 100 expense accounts on our Xero chart of accounts that marry up with each cost item on our build budget so our QS can then simply run a P&L for each project (using tracking to filter by project) to extract live actual figures and therefore monitor expenditure against each budget item.

Andrew Evans  

yep - all on Excel: the budgeting and valuations etc - hence why we are looking for some software to tie it all in to the accounts!

Cate Ratcliffe