Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > AU Payroll >

Superannuation Guarantee amounts wrong

Started by Dan Power -   in AU Payroll

Hi there,

Currently we are paying super as 0.095*gross_pay and the advice I've been given from Workplace Assured is that this is incorrect.

Their advice was that we should be paying SGC on all hours worked up to 38hrs per week, based on the employee's ordinary hours rate. Our employees work very variable hours, so the advice I was given is that if someone works 20hrs of normal dayshift rate and 18hrs at overtime rate, they should be paid 0.095*38*dayshift_rate.

I can't just exempt all overtime payments as this does not allow for the above situation where an employee is paid overtime penalty rates for some hours, but works less than 38hrs per week.

Can anyone imagine how I would go about calculating this correctly? For this pay run I have tried to manually calculate the amounts, however Xero won't let me process a payslip that doesn't have a statutory rate line on it and the statutory rate line applies to the entire payslip.

Very confused!

Thanks
You can process with a percentage amount rather than the statutory amount. Set the percentage amount to zero then add a fixed amount and put your calculated super there.

The flinks below shows what hours you must pay super on. Basically it is the employees ordinary hours. The second link provides examples which you may find useful.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Super-for-employers/How-much-to-pay/Checklist--salary-or-wages-and-ordinary-time-earnings/

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Super-for-employers/In-detail/Ordinary-time-earnings/Ordinary-time-earnings-and-super-guarantee---examples/

Sarah Tolhurst