Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > Using Xero >

Depreciation before purchase date

Started by Christian Reksten-Monsen -   in Using Xero

In Singapore, fixed assets are depreciated over 3 years, where 1/3 is depreciated in the year of purchase, regardless of purchase date. So if I purchase a computer in July 2018, depreciation should be 1/3 for 2018. As I cannot set depreciation start date before the asset purchase date, I am at a loss of how to solve this.

Any suggestions?
When you add the new asset to the Fixed Asset register can you change the purchase date and depreciation start date to the first day of the financial year? With a straight line depreciation rate of 33.33 Xero will then provide for depreciation of 1/3 of cost.

John Knight