Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > US Payroll >

US Payroll - Void/Delete Unpaid Payroll Liabilities

Started by Brandon Scivolette -   in US Payroll

In 2017 I used Xero's payroll. In 2018, however, we began to use a 3rd party payroll provider. I still use Xero for accounting. As I am reconciling my payroll accounts I have found that there are unpaid payroll liabilities from 2017 that refer to accumulated time off/vacation hours. Since these unused/unpaid hours were moved to employee balances at the new payroll provider I want to zero the old ones out in Xero. But since they are attached to Xero payroll records I am unable to delete them. What would be the appropriate way to zero out the liability account?
Would it not be through a journal entry?

Shirley Antonucci  

Perhaps. But what would be the offsetting account?

Brandon Scivolette  

How about Wages/Salaries expense.

Shirley Antonucci  

I'm certainly not an accounting expert, but that doesn't seem correct to me. The unpaid time off liabilities I want to delete are a product of how Xero payroll tracked accrued time off/vacation. Since the accrued time off balances are now tracked by my current payroll company, they will be correctly reflected in Wages/Salaries when they are actually applied to the employee's paycheck.

Bottom line, I am not tracking accrued paid time off (that has not been taken) as a payroll liability in Xero anymore. The current liability balance is a product of how Xero recorded these records when I used their payroll.

Brandon Scivolette