Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > Feature Requests >
Vote

Purchase Orders: Transfer reference number from order to Bill

Started by BR Store in Feature Requests | Idea

why not instead of using the purchase order number as the reference why can't the reference number
you use when receiving the order be transferred through to the bill then it would match your p/o receipt
Make sence?
Thanks Steve for the feedback - you may have noticed we only just made that change today!

Will pass onto the team, but make sure you add your vote here so we can get an indication of the demand - thanks.

Brittany H (Community Manager)

We're now having to edit the 'reference' on every converted bill, so that it shows the actual reference, and not the purchase order number. This is a real pain. Why on earth has this happened? If you wanted to 'improve' it, why didn't you add a 'purchase order' field, instead of messing up something that was working perfectly well?

Julie Roff

Any news on this? I'm hoping you're going to change this back, because it's unbelievably annoying and time-wasting.

Julie Roff

There MUST be a separate field for PO Number and Supplier Invoice Number.
This is plain stupid.

Mark Evans

I agree we put in a PO and then the site for the reference but when we convert to a bill we lose the site name. If what was on the PO transferred to a Bill it would be a lot easier to keep track as what job the PO is for. Why drop the reference when converting to a Bill. I agree keep PO then Reference and why not a separate box for Invoice number.

Janeene Mansey

One section leave the purchase order number and another for a reference number

BR Store

Steve I agree should be three boxes 1. PO
2. Reference
3. Invoice number.

Janeene Mansey

I Agree

BR Store

agree we need both purchase order numbers, we need these for both customers and suppliers.if you choose to put customer purchase order in as reference when they accept a quote then you you lose it when you convert it to an invoice so need to re key.
Frustrating.
why cant customers add their purchase order number when they use the online link and this be kept as a separate item on confirmed quote. this also needs to transfer to their invocie so they can track jobs.

Laurie Pincini

I think we are all discussing the same problem, i will give you my angle on this. Step 1.) I send quote to customer, 2.) Customer accepts and sends PO, 3.) I then upload customer PO to the Quote I sent, 4.) Production ships products. From here i lose the information, i want to convert the original Quote with the attached customer PO to an Invoice and send to customer with the original Quote and PO attached. This way there is no confusion, all the paperwork is together for Supplier & Customer pertaining to the specific PO. Maybe i have completely missed it, can someone please guide me to this, at the moment i am inputing extra information i would have thought could be picked up by the system. Thanks

Greg Hunting

Yes Greg that would be normal. Currently though when 'copying' a PO to an Invoice it doesn't even bring through the delivery address.
I have already made my voice known earlier in this thread but the more I think about it and the more I see others with the same issue the more disappointed I become at Xero's apathy.
We have customers wanting their project reference and I can't even give them a their clean PO number.
This really shouldn't be this difficult.

Mark Evans

Please don't mistake our silence with apathy. There are so many great ideas on Community, but we really can't do everything at once, and have to prioritise. We try to be as upfront as we can, when we aren't going to release a feature in the short-term, to set the right expectations. If anything changes, you’ll be the first to know here.

We have been trialling Xero for 9 months and are finding to many short falls in what it has to offer. At this point we will be using another system from the end of year. its the little things that are frustrating and take time for admin to redo/ retype as the system does not carry info thru from quote to invoice.

Laurie Pincini

I absolutely agree a real pain and causing a lot of grief through duplication of bills as bills can not be searched using the PO or Invoice No. Please Fix

Cheryl Pollock

over 12 months on and still silence on this issue.
Do the Xero team actually look at post or just cast them aside.
wouldn't be a hard fix.

Laurie Pincini

I wouldn't have thought it would be that hard to transfer the PO number to the invoice (when copying to a bill), as well as including a reference and invoice number. Currently wastes a lot of time for one of my new clients. No dates on these previous comments so I am not sure how long this discussion has been going on?

Mary Glanfield

I agree with the above comments, there should be three fields:
1. PO
2. Reference
3. Invoice number
I asked Xero about this and they said I need to put that detail in the description section. This is not a good system for tracking and searching.

Jenny Mentz

Heya - if this is something you'd like to see, please do add your vote. There isn't too much demand, relative to some other requests, which is why it hasn't made the list as yet.

Hi Brittany, I've voted, hopefully Xero goes ahead with the changes we have requested. It would be very beneficial for most organisations.

Jenny Mentz

I agree with the above comments. We need separate fields for
1) PO number
2) Reference/Invoice number

This would aid greatly in project reporting so we can see which invoices have been linked to which PO's

Tracie McGrath

I would also like the attached file information to transfer through to the bill

Rachel Rowland

I also agree with the above comments, there should be three fields:
1. PO
2. Reference
3. Invoice number

Lenore Sanders

Separate PO number on quotes and invoices please. Right now I add in a line item called Order Number.

Fuze Graphics

I also agree with the above comments, there should be three fields:
1. PO
2. Reference
3. Invoice number

Owen Brown

I agree it would be useful to have this, as clients need PO's marked on all invoices for these to be paid swiftly. At the moment I am using the Reference Number to do this. Freeagent had this :(

Giles Taylor

Agree, shouldn't default over ride the Reference# with the PO is copied to Bill...

Matt Murdoch

Xero is a bit crazy and offputting with a lot of features. One is not having the PO number on the invoice. Brittany H says above that theres no demand... not sure what world she actually lives in but in the NORMAL world PO numbers have to be on the invoice. i think people arent posting because it takes years to get a reply and then nothing gets done.

Robyn Jacob

For my business there should be 4 fields as follows; 1.) Quote, 2.) PO/Reference, 3.) Invoice, 4.) Packing Slip / Shipping document - this field should have Part ID, Description and Quantity being Shipped. #4 To be printed out and attached to the goods being shipped.

Greg Hunting

Maybe this will be a clearer. The quote now is converted to an Invoice, why can't it also be converted to a Packing Slip / Shipping document without prices (just Part ID, Description and Quantity being shipped) so it then can be printed out and attached to the goods being shipped. I'm thinking this would be a very quick fix, just add another option to the quote options. I look forward to your feedback. Cheers

Greg Hunting

Greg are you talking about Purchasing or sales?

Tracie McGrath

Using the PO number as the reference number was originally changed by Xero on 24/01/2015 - it is now 21/09/2020. How hard is it for Xero to change back something that was clearly done by mistake by people who don't know how businesses work in the real world? The reference on a bill should be the invoice number that the supplier supplied you, not the PO number that you have ordered the goods on. No business that I know of in the world looks for a customers' purchase order number when applying a payment that they have received. Imagine a customer who orders 50-60 times a month sending you a remittance advice with all of their PO numbers on it - not paying all of their invoices as there are some under dispute. How are you supposed to receipt the payment without spending a great deal of time looking up each individual purchase order to find out which one of your invoices to apply the payment to?

And yes, it is vey confusing for people that we now have bills and invoices. Debtors invoices and creditors invoices or purchase invoices and sales invoices are much easier to deal with.

Alison Langdon