Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > UK Payroll >

Running Payroll First Time Query

Started by Robert Davies -   in UK Payroll

I'm running payroll for the first time. It's taken me a while to get here as I've had to wait for my PAYEE, and business bank account to come through, so what I had done was manually do payroll and workout deductions based on the Gov.UK tax and NI calculator and using a spreadsheet. I also paid employees an advance. Now I have Xero hooked up to HMRC and my bank, I have come across some discrepancies between my spreadsheet and Xero.

My employee worked 206.45 hours at £8.90/h, giving me a gross of 1,775.61. My spreadsheet and Xero agreed.

NI/Tax deductions for the employee were £286.23 according to Xero. My spreadsheet was £264 (this is due to my estimates using the calculator). An underpayment of £22.23 for taxes. No problem. I put in -£22.23 into Xero to correct this.

When it comes to the net, my spreadsheet and Xero disagree.

Xero tells me I need to pay £1,511.61 but I worked out using the spreadsheet £1,530.47 giving me a discrepancy of £18.86.

And when I put in Xero that I gave that staff an advance of £390, it changes the tax payable. I don't want it to change the tax!

Hope someone can help.
No one have any ideas?

Robert Davies  

I figured out what was wrong. I had actually added their tax up wrong.

Robert Davies  

Hiya Robert, glad to see you were able to nut this one out :)

Lauren C (Community Manager)