Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > AU Payroll >

Unscheduled pay run for last financial year

Started by Melanie Lister -   in AU Payroll

I am trying to do an unscheduled pay run for last financial year to add an expense claim that was missed. I have tried to add a new calendar in the payroll settings and change the calendar in the employee employment tab.

When I try to do a pay run with the new calendar, the employee does not show up in the pay run. If I try to do an unscheduled payrun using the new calendar it only gives me the dates of the last 8 pay runs from this financial year.

How can I process this unscheduled pay run for the previous financial year?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
You shouldn't be trying to do a pay run in a previous financial year once the year is finished (especially once the EOFY information has gone to the ATO). You can simply include the expense payment in their next pay period or do an uncheduled payment for the last pay period, whichever is closer, and make a note that it's a back-payment for a previous period.

Zosia Romanowski  

I have the same problem but no info as gone anywhere.

I need to enter an unscheduled pay run for 15 July 2017 but system won't allow me to go back further than 8 pay runs. How do I get this pay run?
thanks.
Jen

Jennifer Spanbroek  

The question is why are you trying to change a pay run in a prior period? Is it simply an adjustment you can make in the current/next pay period?

Zosia Romanowski  

To add an employee that was not in the system at the time.

Jennifer Spanbroek  

It's a bit hard to provide advice with little information - it depends of why you are you trying to add an employee a year after the fact.

If they were were previously paid but not put through payroll, it also depends on how the payments were recorded at the time.

If they hadn't previously been paid and you're going to backpay them now for the missed time-period, you don't need to (and probably shouldn't) go back and create inaccurate payroll records - you can record it as what it actually is: a backpay in the current or next pay period (or in the last period of the financial year if they want a group certificate for the correct year). If you want their wages to be recorded in the accounts for the relevant time period, you can take up a wages accrual journal for each month (debit wages expense account, credit wages accrual liability account).

Zosia Romanowski  

Thanks, Zosia.
I have sought advice elsewhere and it has been completely different to yours and a lot easier.

Jennifer Spanbroek  

Cool, no worries. I'd be interested to know what that advice was - it's always useful to hear about different ways of doing things.

Zosia Romanowski  

Of course. Let's recall; pay run posted and greater than 8 pays back to enter an unscheduled pay run. Employee not in the system so no time sheet entered.
Steps:
Enter missed employee in the system and ensure their start date prior to pay period.
Then change their payroll calendar to reflect a different name but same pay period being paid for. Make sure you save it.
Create a pay run using the new calendar, and process it.

By the way, the missed employee was paid from another system in error.
Interested to read your comments on this.

Jennifer Spanbroek  

Ah, ok that makes sense - as I said, the answer depended entirely on if the employee was paid back then or if this was a backpay being made now. If you're just transferring information from a different system so that your current system reflects what actually happened, then it should be fine to go back.

The main thing to think about when changing back payroll data (if you haven't already) is, if he was paid from a different system, what happened with PAYG and super? If reports from the two systems weren't combined at the time to produce accurate reporting and payment amounts, then you might need to make corrections in your June BAS and super.

Thanks for providing the steps - it's good to know that there is an option to go back that far if it's ever needed.

Zosia Romanowski  

No problem and thanks for the reminder regarding PAYG, super and BAS. However, this has all been addressed. Jen

Jennifer Spanbroek  

Hi
I am trying post an negative unscheduled pay run to correct a pay greater than 8 pays back and last financial year. the employee's payroll calendar is updated to reflect the unscheduled payrun however the time sheet does not flow through.
any help on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Colleen Murphy