Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Help Center

Xero Business Community

Community > Small Business >

A Xero series on how to market & grow your small business.

Started by Catherine Walker (Community Manager) -   in Small Business

The Xero marketing team often get asked marketing-related questions when we’re out and about so we thought we’d capture some ideas and share them with everyone in a little web series.
What are your thoughts, ideas and questions on marketing and growing your small business?
Full details on our blog here - Can I ask you a few questions about marketing? - post your questions on the blog or here on the community and follow the series as we seek to unfold and answer all things marketing.
Sounds like a good idea. Good luck with it.

Judith Peiroten  

Hi Dan,

I've just put a new post up on blog.xero.com with some discussion questions. Take a look here and feel free to ask any questions :)

Courtney Lambert (Xero Staff)  

Hi Courtney, great article. Not sure about redirecting the discussion to this forum - I think that most people who read the blog article expect any resulting discussion to be part of the blog. It also restricts people who are not currently Xero customers from contributing to the discussion. So I'll post my comment on both this forum and the blog.

I thought it was a great overview article of the marketing mix, and your observation that most people fail to put enough thought into Product and Place is an interesting one. I'd be interested though to hear some of your Xero marketing mix thoughts around this. For example, the 'Place' part of the mix is significantly different for Xero than it is for the incumbent competition. Your channels through accountants and online partners is a completely different strategy to the incumbents. What is your thinking about 'Place' for Xero and what other channels do you think are important? And how does that affect the other elements of the marketing mix for Xero? In summary, would love to hear some of your thoughts about Xero and the marketing mix.

Kelvin Hartnall  

Hi Kelvin,

I've posted over on the blog but I'll post here too if anyone else is following along at home :)

You’re right that being an online product we don’t follow a ‘boxed software’ retail distribution model as some software companies do. We have two main markets: accountants and then direct to small business owners. To market to small business owners, we have an online strategy e.g. SEO. SEM. We have less of a reliance on traditional, paid advertising which is often a requirement to get retail support in a bricks and mortar store. Hope that answers your question and keep an eye out on the blog. Thanks.

Courtney Lambert (Xero Staff)  

The latest post in the series now up on our blog - Small business marketing: differentiation and positioning. Love you comments there or here!

Catherine Walker (Community Manager)