Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > Small Business >

Charity with staff claiming Expenses - should give Xero access?

Started by Michelle Easterbrook -   in Small Business

We are a small Charity with 8 members of staff - all whom claim expenses. Should I give them all access to xero so they can do their expenses? Anybody had any previous experience of this - it would be great to hear from you!
I find the expenses bit a tad tedious and long-winded. Could just raise a purchase invoice under their name with the breakdown of what they're to be reimbursed?

Melissa North  

Thanks Melissa - Out of interest how many expense claiming staff do you have?
Our team on the road are loving the idea of the iphone app!

Michelle Easterbrook  

I have no staff personally but am a bronze partner. I think it's a great product but frustrated with how long it can take to process expense claims. I'm pretty happy with every other component so far. :)

Maybe with 8 staff and definitely more out on the road it could be awesome as they can take a snapshot of the receipt and submit whilst out and about, but with clients who only have 1 or even as soloists, they can use their time more efficiently elsewhere.

Melissa North  

Thanks Melissa - That is great advice! I think I might trial it with a couple of office based staff before letting loose on the masses!

Michelle Easterbrook  

No worries. The Help section will be able to guide you through it step by step. It's an amazing help section! :)

Melissa North  

@Melissa Thanks for the Help Centre shout-out (I have a soft spot for it!) - here's the main overview for creating an expense claim.
@Michelle Xero offers unlimited users and a user role/permission for just entering expense claims so I suggest this is the right way for you to use it. As well as staff being able to enter their own receipts from phones or out of the office, the entry into Xero and payment of expenses back to them is more easily managed against their own names if they own the expense claim. Hope you've had a play with this by now and it suits your staff.

EDIT: The Invoice Only + Draft user role allows you create Expense Claims and create draft invoices, purchase orders, Contacts, and view some other information - have a look here for more details. As there isn't a specific user role just for the entry of Expense Claims, add your support here. Sorry for the miscommunication! - Brittany

Catherine Walker (Community Manager)  

No worries Catherine. I use it if I'm not sure about things myself. I might be a wizzkid, but I still admit defeat when I need to. hehe

Melissa North  

Thanks Melissa and Catherine - we have decided to trial it with a couple of members of staff and then roll it out to all in April. I think its really good - just need to sell it to the rest of the team!

Michelle Easterbrook  

Just to add our experience with this section - it is a bit time consuming - but not too bad when staff manage each ones own expenses through the limited access login. All of our team members use it and it makes an easy job for admin to process payments to them. Also helps with control as the option of approving or declining each expense means things don't slip through the cracks.

Tina Kaye  

We have been using this for all staff bar one and it has made my life a lot easier! However, I have a member of staff that needs to see reports (the others don't!) how can I get round him entering expenses and seeing reports but not being able to do anything else! Help.........

Michelle Easterbrook  

Hey Michelle, I presume you mean the expense claims report? I just had a quick look at this and it seems that you can always run your own expense claims report (once you have submitted for approval), but unless your one staff member had a higher level of access I can't see a way that he could see everyone else's expense claim reports (without their logins). If you mean reports in general - he will need standard user access to see these. Let me know if you need to talk it through!

Tina Kaye  

Hi Tina - I mean actually inputting your own expenses. I have most staff set up as Invoice Only-Draft as they only need to do their expenses and don't need access to all of the other reports but I have one member of staff who needs access to all reports (not just expenses!) and I want him to be able to do his expenses as well. However, he currently has Read Only access and this doesn't allow him to do his own expenses.

Michelle Easterbrook  

I see - I think that Standard User is the closest fit to what you are looking for - it provides similar info to read only and still allows access to the expense claims area. However he would be able to reconcile data etc. on this profile. What about two logins for him? The one he is on now (Read only) and another email address so that he login to expense claims (Invoice, draft only)...

Tina Kaye  

This may well sound like a dumb question, but i'm new to Xero and accounting software in general. I have a number of staff who submit their own expenses via a paper claim form but I'd like them to now submit their claims via the iphone app.
When you click on the expense tab in the app it asks who the claim is from; is this the employee's name as this then creates them as a contact in Xero in amongst our clients and suppliers?

Mick Gerrard  

Hi Mick,
I think the field you are talking about is requesting the Supplier details - which would be Officeworks, Telstra etc. There's a funny quirk with Expense Claims where you must be logged in as the person in order to enter expense claims for that person. It's meant to be specific to each user and then they 'submit' their claims for approval when they are finalised. Feel free to contact me if you need more info. Cheers, Tina.

Tina Kaye  

@Mick - thanks to Tina, you should be on the right track. You do need to invite each of your staff into Xero so they have their own login to enter their own receipts onto their expense claim. Then you can approve and arrange payments for their expense claims.

Catherine Walker (Community Manager)  

@Catherine,

You said on the 29th of Feb 2012: "Xero offers unlimited users and a user role/permission for just entering expense claims so I suggest this is the right way for you to use it."

However I can't see a function that offers employees expense claim only access? I want to enable multiple roaming sales staff access to their expense claim function ONLY via iphone app, don't want them being able to view account balances, invoices etc as is currently the case

Look forward to your reply

David Booth  

As David stated I am also looking forward a "exemple claim" only role. When would that be available?

Maxime Jattiot  

Hi, I am looking also for the option to add users with "just expense claim" option. I can´t see this in the users options.

Maria Morales  

For those wanting an 'Expense Claims only' User Role - there's a Feature Request that you can vote on here. No immediate plans to do this, but we'll keep an eye on demand!

Brittany H (Community Manager)  

I would love the ability to enter expenses claims for others, We have people I do not want to set up in the system as would constantly be changing them, but we pay some expenses. I currently add them as purchase invoices. Would be good if the system was like invoices enter an expense claim for employee a or b or c etc.

JOSEPHINE JONES  

Hi Josephine, adding a bill is the way to go at the moment. In the meantime, add your vote here for Expense Claims on behalf of others. Thanks!

Brittany H (Community Manager)