Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Help Center

Xero Business Community

Community > Feature Requests >
Vote

Keyboard shortcuts in xero

Started by Angus Calder -   in Feature Requests | Submitted

I am new to xero and still finding out what it can and can not do.

Are there any keyboard shortcuts when entering a new payable invoice? I know there are some for the date but are there others?

Ideally I would like to be able to:
- add a new line without having to use the mouse - the tab key does not seem to take me to the "add new line" button.
- Copy the line above.
- Copy the field above.

These few features would save me loads of time when entering data.
+1
keyboard shortcuts will take xero to the next level of efficency!

Michael Merlin  

I agree, when editing an invoice I would like to be able to add a new line without having to use the mouse. Overall, I am really enjoying using Xero so far :0)

Rachel Ervine  

@Rachel hmmmm, yes that's a little clumsy now - if you just keep tabbing through the last line of the invoice details the cursor pops onto the Add new line button which is high-lighted and you can hit enter to add a new line - however the cursor returns to the top of the grid and you need use tab and down arrows to get to the new line and once the cell you want is highlighted you can hit enter again to get it into edit mode. I'll raise this with the development team.

Catherine Walker (Community Manager)  

How about a shortcut for +30 on the due date of invoices payable? Currently I have to calculate the due date for payment terms like Net30 etc. manually which is a bit tedious.

Eva Kaupp  

+1.
In Cash Coding, they have already functioned quite good short-cuts as Web based system.
So I wonder if they can replicate this system to AP/AR?
That would make our world more sexy :)

Toshio Ishikura  

+1. I'm coming from Sage which had some nice single-key shortcuts for copying from above, and for copying from above and incrementing by 1.

Trevor Jobling  

I would love shortcut keys too. Specifically for me, I'd like a key command for 'Approve and view next' when approving draft invoices (sales invoices)

Sharron Betts  

A shortcut key for approve and add another whilst inputting purchase invoices would be excellent as I am often inputting many invoices at a time :-)

Anna Lucas  

I agree... a shortcut (similar to MYOB - Alt O) where you can save an invoice would be excellent as having to use the mouse all the time is painful.

Rebecca Low  

I have been looking around for a keyboard shortcut to use after entering a bill rather than having to click the approve button. Haven't found one yet.

But I did find these calendar shortcuts that you might find useful.

http://help.xero.com/help/howto/DateShortcuts.htm

Ashley Knight  

My wife and I do our books in tandem and were trying to get past our issue with Xero and the inability to import sheets with item codes when we thought we'd be smart and pre-fabricate an invoice and then just modify it. However we have about 10-15% of our business which is always changing. Inserting / copy / move (blocks) would be very nice to have. I slam my head one more time into a missing feature which could save time.

I haven't had votes in a while, so my psychic +1 to this. I'll add one if I ever get one of my other request returned. ;-)

Andy Ciordia  

+1
Would be great to have shortcut when reconciling bank or credit card transactions imported from sync. I get multiple deposits per day and it's a pain to have to grab my mousepad to click "OK" for each transaction. So far this is the one downfall that may make me go back to quickbooks where I can just hit the enter key...

Alex Furmansky  

+1

There needs to be an Approve and a Bill Options/Copy hotkey.

Kellee Christie  

I have set all my bills up as repeating bills that save themselves as drafts.
So after every new bill I enter, I go back to the draft bills screen.
I use Google Chrome as my browser and I find this shortcut really useful!
Once set up. I press cmd+L, then d enter. Takes me straight to draft bills.
Instructions here:
http://http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2011/03/02/add-a-keyboard-shortcut-to-a-chrome-bookmark-or-bookmarklet/

Ashley Knight  

+1
The app should have some customizable keyboard shortcuts.

Rustin Ross  

Not to rub salt on a wound... but Quickbooks Online let's you reconcile transactions by just hitting the Enter key. Makes reconciling much faster...

Alex Furmansky  

Hey everyone - thanks for all the great discussion here. Hopefully once some of the bigger features planned have been released, we’ll be able to look into these smaller (but very helpful!) additions.

In case you haven’t already seen, there’s a few Help Centre pages with hints on how to make getting around Xero as easy as possible: Xero Tips & Date Shortcuts

@Alex have you tried using Cash Coding? This makes reconciling cash transactions in Xero much faster.

Brittany H (Community Manager)  

@Brittany: Cash Coding is very helpful. That's all I needed. Thanks a lot!

Alex Furmansky  

@Alex +1
I need the ability to accept a downloaded transaction without having to click with the Mouse.
Appears pretty unprofessional to be clicking away at something...

Lyle Phipps  

Totally wish I could get through bank reconciliations with the keyboard and not have to click OK with the mouse. I can't even tab to the OK button!

Kevin Kaland  

In the next release, Manual Journals will automatically create a new line below when a field in the last line of the MJ is selected. May be a useful shortcut for those who use Manual Journals often!

Brittany H (Community Manager)  

With a keyboard shortcut for adding files I could do all expenses without the mouse - I thought I might be able to do it with Shirt Backspace but no joy - bit of a passion killer really. Also once one is in screen how difficult would it be for a cursor to already be blinking in the first box that requires entry??, then you could just enter and tab forward through the form.

Nigel Cowburn  

I'd like to vote for this as well. We still use Sage, QuickBooks and Quickfile for clients and all of them have keyboard shortcuts and it makes entering so much easier. I miss being able to do Alt + S to save.

Annamarie Angell  

I use Sage and QB and xero. I find xero the most time consuming. The mouse is used too much. I agree with all of the above, we should have shortcut keys on the keyboard. The rest of the system has some good features but so many silly time consuming things for the user. ...... I can do double the number of entries on my sage and QB clients as I can with my Xero clients. .... Getting around the screens and where xero return you to are unhelpful. So much use of the mouse is unhelpful. I could go on with specific examples for hours.......

Thanks for reading... bookkeeper having a rant!

Catherine Bishop