Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Help Center

Xero Business Community

Community > Add-on Reviews >

CrunchBoards

Started by Xero API -   in Add-on Reviews |Reporting

4.8 out of 5 stars

Based on 36 user ratings
If you are a user of Xero and CrunchBoards, tell us how you are getting on and your experience so far. Any tips?

About CrunchBoards

Financial Intelligence for accountants and businesses. Supercharge your accounts package into fast, effortless financial analysis and alerts. For more information, check out CrunchBoards.

Tip

Remember if you have questions or need assistance with CrunchBoards, this is not the best place to ask - this forum is for reviews and feedback only.

For general support, check out the CrunchBoards Support Center or this page for information on connecting CrunchBoards to Xero.

Crunchboards is an amazing package which is extremely easy to set up and links seamlessly into Xero, mitigating the time taken to put together performance reports.

The reporting dashboard is clear and concise and allows us to tailor the information provided to the client, but also offers the client the ability to filter out or report on information that they want to see.

The alerts function allows us to keep the entire team up to date with key events throughout the business year and flags up any discrepancies which may occur, allowing us to raise these issues with client sooner.

This has allowed us to have the opportunity to offer additional reporting functionality to clients and overall become more proactive with the service which we can provide going forward.

Scott Kennedy  

For months (no years) I have been looking for a reporting add on that gives me flexibility in the types of reports I can generate from Xero. Up until now I have multiple spreadsheets with my tailored reporting, which is time consuming and not "live". Crunchboards is changing that for me (spreadsheets will be a thing of the past). The ability to create multiple cards on the one dashboard, giving me live updates on how the business is travelling. Being able to create my own formulas, KPIs gives me complete ownership of the reporting process. Cant wait for scenarios (forecasting / cashflow) to come live, this will give me the complete package.

Craig Graham  

As soon I had a demo of crunchboards I could see how it can change our practice.It sould be part of any proactive accounting practice.

It makes it real. And real-time. We can create a Board to look at our hospitality clients' food GPs to explore trends; as easily as creating a Board for a client who's exploring a pending expansion. The team love creating Boards to monitor their personal clients, we have regular internal meetings and CrunchBoards is the tool at the heart of these discussions. CrunchBoards cleverly empowers your team and clients to embrace change as they have made adoption so easy... you don't need a training manual or certification!

Brad Golchin  

I have been very impressed with Crunchboards. It is now an essential part of our management accounting practice. The fact that it is so flexible means that dashboards can be built to meet each clients needs. A huge bonus is also the scenario planning.
The team is very excited at the potential Crunchboards offers our clients and even ourselves internally with the alert function

I have also found Amy and Hannah to be very approachable and are only too happy to help.
This is my favourite add-on without a doubt

Matt Sharwood  

Crunchboards is the product our business has been waiting for. After one Demo with Amy, I knew Crunchboards was going to have a considerable effect on not only our business, but on the entire hospitality industry.

One of the challenges that hospitality business owners face is that they rarely have accurate, up-to-date numbers to work with - Reports come, but they often come far too late. One month of poor performance can take many months, even a year for a business to claw back.

What Crunchboards allows us to do is give the industry up-to-date reports on a weekly basis. This has always been a possibility, but never with the efficiency, ease and aesthetically appealing design that Crunchboards provides.

Now our Clients have weekly P&Ls & KPI’s at their fingertips. It is rewarding for us when we have the opportunity to engage with our clients and talk about business benchmarks rather than just completing the mundane compliance work.

Once you have your Crunchboard setup, the data then flows from Xero automatically. No more exporting to Excel! It’s amazing that the service that is of the highest value to our Clients is now one of the easiest services for us to provide…

Nick Hazel  

I'm with Brad, as soon as you see CB you just love it and then every client name pops into your head and that's when the magic happens.

Thanks so much for helping pull out the brown cardigan and comb overs from the closet! Can't wait to see what's coming up (Dear CB Dev Team, break even's please).

Amy and Hannah not only cute and talented but you have rocked the accounting world by offering something different which these days is not easy.

Well done, Merry Merry Christmas from the Kiwis

Gayle Buchanan  

It's rare in business to have another " conversion on the road to Damascus moment." The first was with Xero and the Aha moment that followed. That same Aha moment was when I first saw the power of Crunch Boards! A truly revolutionary product that is easy to use. A truly passionate team at CB about such a revolutionary product. CB opened my eyes and put a spring back in my step and made me realise what an exciting time it is to be an accountant.

Paul Miller  

As a virtual CFO practice, we've been looking for a dashboard and forecasting platform to add to our product offering for several years now. We have explored other solutions, but they didn't provide anything that I couldn't already do in Excel.

That changed with Crunchboards. We are now able to deploy a high-value solution across our entire client base, and move from discussing what happened last month/year to understanding how today's decisions might impact the future of their business. It's always been our goal to provide a finance solution rather than just being an accountancy practice, and this does it for us.

We recently demoed the Xero/Crunchboards platform to a banker. His response - "if I could require every company in our loan portfolio to be on this platform, I would. Instead, I will just have to strongly suggest it." He is excited about the real-time analysis, and how it will allow him to proactively assist his client base, rather than reacting to months-old information. The alerting system in particular piqued his interest.

In short, paired with a solid education program and regular touchpoints from a trusted advisor, this is what small businesses and entrepreneurs have been needing to grow smarter and succeed faster.

Dan Schmidt  

Crunchboards has provided the perfect product to compliment Xero.

After spending numerous hours preparing management reports in Excel and Castaway (or Winforecast for the older folk), it has been a great experience to prepare the same information in only minutes!

The support and service providing by Amy and Hannah is brilliant.

If you are serious about getting the most out of your reporting, you need Crunchboards.

Craig Seddon  

Crunchboards is going to be (if it isn't already) a phenomenon in the accounting industry! It's as simple as that. I'm describing it to colleagues and clients as "live management information and accounts" because that is something they understand i.e. the analysis of a businesses performance by metrics way beyond P&L and Balance Sheet reports.

But it doesn't stop there. CB has a vast array of additional features that enable you to completely tailor the information you provide to clients and also enables them to monitor those metrics in real time with the ability to create alerts that allow a business owner to sleep at night.

Why did we move all of our clients in to the cloud with Xero in the first place? Lot's of reasons but a fundamental one was so that we could collaborate with business owners and provide proactive guidance and advice about business performance to enable strategic business decisions to be made. Extending that way of working with CB is the next natural step and will become the only way of making a real difference as an accountant as compliance services are eliminated by technology.

But then CB goes even further by allowing you to look forward and create scenarios and forecasts to help a business owner steer their ship in the right direction rather than according to where it's been. It's why the front windscreen on a car is bigger than the rear window, so you can see where you're going rather than where you've been. Try driving your car home tonight in reverse if you don't believe me!

Paul Meades  

I am still a bit in SHOCK!

I thought I would never find a day that my spreadsheets would be DEAD. I focus on 1 industry and our service is very specific - which meant I ploughed allot of resource on creating monthly Overview sheets, of course as soon as the data in Xero Updates.... the Spreadsheets don't.

I can see this being a massive assets to my business moving forward not only in cheaper labour costs but the marketing element too, My clients are very visual and the graphs just bring it home!

I have been looking for a solution for nearly 6 months and now I've found it.

Great work guys!

Chris Cheeney  

Fantastic Product!

Flexible and easy to use, great for use across a range of industries.

I completely agree with those who have written before me.... this product will have an impact on how accountants work, giving them (and other Business Advisors) the ability to really help their clients grow their business.

Being able to track in real time, using custom formulas, the insights gained are far more valuable then what has been available prior via other products and/or excel spreadsheets.

Great looking product, presents the data well.

Great work, looking forward to doing more and more with Crunchboards.

Garry Dukes  

Probably the most incredible application I have had the privilege of working with. Our current clients are absolutely blown away by the richness of the information and the ability to adapt in such a short space of time.

Gone are the days of sweating over pivot tables and charts using dated data.

This is a game changer!! We love it!!

Ryan Coates  

Real time financial intelligence, Crunchboards is the most exciting add on I have used with Xero. Our clients enjoy the graphical and exciting ways to clearly show the real time performance of there business, we have used it across a number of types of businesses including Hospitality and Pharmacy. Crunchboards creates conversation with our clients and allows us advisers to see visual real time KPI's.

The ease of use is one of the many reasons why Crunchboards is streets ahead of it's competitors.

Congratulations to Amy and Hannah for creating a real innovative game changer as a reporting Add on to Xero!!!

Tom Paine  

Just fantastic. I love the ease I can create a board and apply the same or similar board to another entity. Every client I've shown has gone "Wow". A weekly report for a restaurant now takes a minute instead of importing to an excel spreadsheet and checking data to ensure it is right.

Martin Tunley  

Often when you give a business owner any report - P&L / Balance Sheet etc they glaze over looking at a row of figures. CrunchBoards gives them the opportunity to see how their business in performing in a graphical way that they can understand. Clients are taking more of an interest.

Rosemary Wenham  

We're a business with a game plan. CrunchBoards is left field. For us, it's the answer to our 'I wish/dream team' moments. We genuinely didn't think client management existed in this way and the intelligence and experience we deliver on the ground is the home run. Don't get CrunchBoards confused with other reporting tools or spreadsheets, the platform they've built is insanely flexible so it works for our diverse range of clients. We have small businesses using CrunchBoards right up to multi-million turnover global entities. Due to our assorted client mix we are working with people who have varying skills sets and understanding of their financials. CrunchBoards can communicate to them all and at the appropriate levels. Get on-board...!

Carpenter Box Xero Admin  

After not believing that Crunchboards could be that good, I was nervous to begin with and kept asking what is the catch. I ca't see one yet. The amount of time it will remove in exporting data from accounting software and punching it through Excel to report and analyse will be huge; can't wait for all of my clients to see it, and to allow something I have always dreamed of to happen - to have real time data to discuss with my clients and what the plans look like for their future, this will be awesome; can't wait for non financial data to come into play soon as well.

Amy's follow up through the pre-sales process was first class.

Michael Harvey  

After working at Xero for the past few years. I decided to venture back to being an accountant. And so, when I made the move, I picked the Best of the Best Add-ons to use and Crunch Boards is one of those !!! I really appreciate the work the team has put into their product, training and service (which seems to be round the clock).

I am Very happy to be one of the founding accounting partners in Oz and have rolled out CB to every client I have.

Daniel Moore  

For me, it's simple. I want to give my clients the kind of service that they rave about. I've been in this game for over 30 years and I've worked with countless business owners (and I'm an accountant!) but that's the point - I've never witnessed anything like this. My clients are hooked. I genuinely love tech and finding newer and better ways to work and CrunchBoards delivers massively for my own practice here too. I would never go back to historical reporting apps or spreadsheets. CrunchBoards is the future.

Amanda Fisher  

This Add-on is a must if you are looking for intelligent reporting for your business.

It gives you the detail you need to see where you have been and also forecasts to see where you are going, this is invaluable if you are looking to approach banks for finance or give investors or decision makers the key data for the business.

The great thing with Crunchboards is that you can display the lists of numbers that us accountants love or display the results graphically so anyone without a financial understanding can still see trends etc.

There is functionality to allow certain users to see certain areas only. The example being a salesman can see targets for sales and how they have performed against those targets but they cannot see cash at bank or profits.

All in all a great addition if you are a Xero user.

Brian Mason  

I've always enjoyed budgeting and forecasting for clients and now CrunchBoards has made it even more fun. I'm looking forward to all the developments in their pipeline.

Bonita Cory  

CrunchBoards is a fantastic analytical tool allowing you to show a client the key metrics in a wonderfully visual way.

Superb integration with Xero. Forecasting tool is very easy for clients and accountants to build and understand. Granular permission rights allow various stakeholders of the business access to various boards. Utilises tracking codes within Xero to compare results between sales teams, geographic locations etc.

Its going to save allot of the old excel spreadsheet crunching while still retaining the power of excel to build KPI metrics and formulas.

And that's just the client focused side!

Linking all your top clients can allow you to set alerts to monitor key business indicators on one page and receive an email when one may reach a target or fall behind expected outcomes, allowing you to be proactive at contacting your clients with much greater ease.

Cant wait to see what extra features are released in the future of this add on.

Alex Pearce  

There are a lot of positive reviews for this add on but I'm not seeing it. I've been dying for a great visual reporting add on to Xero Sadly this one isn't it for me.

There is a ton of great information in there and the flexibility in creating the data you want to access is extensive, but the interface is just bad. The whole card concept doesn't work. You're limited to a little box for data/charts/graphs that should be taking up a full screen. You can't resize the cards to the size you need them to be. Because you're limited to these small cards the text is virtually unreadable unless you zoom in the browser page.

Things get even worse on an iPad.

The potential for this to be a great add on is there. They just need to rethink their entire design philosophy because it just doesn't work.

Additionally, as a small business $50 a month is a bit too much. If you're an accountant that is using this for multiple clients that is not much, but there should be a small business price of about $20 a month.

edit:
I guess I can't post in a review more than once. Makes sense..

WRT sizing, I see now that you can resize the windows as Amy mentions below. I missed that because it's only available when creating a card. Once a card has been created, even in edit mode, you can't change the size of it unless you "add a new card" which isn't intuitive. Once in "add a new card" mode then existing cards get the option to resize. Seems like that should be available when editing a card.

Jeff Singer  

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the message - it seems that you've missed a bit of the app as you can do exactly what you want to achieve with regards to re-sizing cards. You could have one huge Card to fill the entire screen for example.

Resizing and adjusting the layout of your Boards, including reordering the position of Cards is a really simple process in the "Edit" mode for Boards. Please see this video here: http://vimeopro.com/crunchboards/tv/video/113638206

Our support team is also on hand to give you a tour as well via our an in-app messenger, which is available in the top right of your screen under the help dropdown (that's also where the tutorials, videos and docs are).

We'll follow up with you personally now, so we can answer any more questions you have.

Speak soon!

Amy Harris  

I cannot praise the team at CrunchBoards highly enough especially Helen for her above and beyond call of duty! When they say you are hand held through the software you truly are.

The software is intuitive and easy to use. It integrates seamlessly with Xero and gives you the ability to analyse your data in a much more understandable way. Not everyone is an accountant, so it lets us accountants explain the bones of a business to a client in a format they "get". Real time really is real time with CrunchBoards.

Love it , love it love it!!!

Joanne Halsall  

I am so grateful that I was recommended CrunchBoards - to say I was blown away when I saw how easy it was to produce amazing management reports is an understatement!

I must say also they've been a joy to deal with and I am SO excited about making CrunchBoards an integral part of my service in the future!

Jason Blackman  

We have just signed up to Crunchboards and I am really looking forward to getting this out across our entire client base, enabling us to move up a few gears in terms of the services we provide for our clients. As finance directors and managers for our clients, I can see this being the key tool going forward for communicating effectively financial information to non finance people. I met the guys from Crunchboards at the Xerocon in February and really liked what I saw. Whilst I have found Sage Forecasting very useful over the years, this is clearly from the current century! The management accounts and KPI potential here is immense and clients will absolutely love it.

Gary White  

I have had a great experience with the product. For me, this has been my favorite add-on since discovering bill.com with Xero. I had some complex project reporting needs from data in Xero and their software handled it amazingly! Fathom/Spotlight both couldn't handle it but Crunchboards did. Now I can provide beautiful visualized reports to my larger clients and wow them with all the insights we can pull from it. Highly recommend them! Waiting for PDF exports of the dashboards and then I'll be one extremely satisfied customer.

Nicholas Bird  

We at Moore Stephens, an accounting firm in the Adelaide CBD, understand the value of real-time management information. My role is to keep our clients abreast of key industry developments, particularly with regard to the burgeoning trend towards cloud accounting and the many benefits that it provides.

As a Xero Gold Partner, we recently investigated a number of Xero add-ons in relation to dashboard management reporting and Crunchboards certainly stood out from the crowd.

Crunchboards allows us to provide real-time information and is customisable and scalable to suit business' needs, whether using monthly or quarterly dashboards.

Peppe Fusco  

CrunchBoards has become crucial to the way we operate Clear Business Dynamics. As a relatively new business it is important to understand our current position across a range of KPI's.

Before CrunchBoards we were using other tools which only showed us high level data and left out the context and relationships that we needed to make key growth decisions.
Having first seen the product in October last year i am impressed at the consistency of the products development and the commitment to creating a valuable knowledge base to help us get the most from the product.

By far the leading performance management tool in the Xero eco system.

Michael Macolino  

Fantastic product – so much so we have convinced all of BDO in NZ to adopt it! Seriously.
Like so many before us, we had been spending too much time, by too few people, drilling through client financial info to find those jewels of information that can be displayed in a meaningful set of Excel-based KPIs. Not anymore. I can now get grads preparing fantastic looking boards for our clients. It is that intuitive to use, even easier to replicate and spread across a practice.
But it gets better. People need to take some time and invest it in the Scenario functionality. So much easier to use than the others. Combine that with some well-thought out email alerts and you are dealing in real time, right alongside your client.
For us, it’s about harnessing the conversation opportunity with our clients. This is exactly what CrunchBoards allows you to do. With the live updates from Xero, you are dealing with live data, not static dashboards.
And I must add that the support from Amy & Hannah is an absolutely first-class. Thanks heaps, I think Xero and CrunchBoards just saved accounting. 

Andrew MacDonell  

Crunchboards is another exciting development in the accounting game. Combining the power of Xero data with the flexibility of Excel is true genius.
We use Crunchboards as a collaborative tool for our clients, easily bringing historical data to life rather than numbers of a printed page, and more importantly providing a great base to explore the future with clients.
Amy's support even with the disadvantages of Timezones has been amazing! It is truly a honour to be a Crunchboards partner.

Stephen Simpson  

I am LOVING the product - I am able to achieve stuff simply that I have been working on for years THANK YOU

Cate Harrison  

Crunchboards is amazing! This add-on has done wonders for our business and has really increased our profitability. Within a week of signing up as a partner we took an extra £700+vat of fee income. It really has paid for itself.

David Jones  

When I saw CrunchBoards at the recent Xero roadshow, I had that same feeling of utter excitement that I had when I first saw Xero. We invested in it straight away and are currently going through the onboarding process. So impressed with all the help we are receiving to make the best use of this very powerful package and so looking forward to rolling it out to all our clients. Really enjoying being an accountant these days!

Penny Rowden  

Paul Redmond from RDA Accountants and I usually do not write reviews, however CrunchBoards is the BEST add on that Xero has from an Accountants point of view. You can really get under the skin of a business and help the business owner increase profitability make instant business decisions, based on the most up to date information available.
Their cashflow modelling is the best that I have used in my 30 years in this business. The other consideration that I really like is if you suggest improvements or ask for something they will always take your recommendation seriously. Their training is great also.
But most important the team are nice people to work with and they love what they do

Paul Redmond  

We have been searching for a cloud based management accounting package for sometime. Following the demonstration of the Crunchboard package is was obvious we had found the crucial partner we had been looking for. The on boarding process was fantastic and ensured we were ready to launch the service to our clients. The service is now live and provided to every cloud based client as standard. They love the information and the fact we go the extra yard for them. A no brainer

Phil Ellerby  

CrunchBoards is a brilliant product. It has allowed us to deliver amazing analysis to clients effortlessly. I was downloading data and manipulating in Excel to produce management packs to clients which is just not sustainable. Boards are quick and easy to set up, and once set up update automatically. So, if we spot a trend to investigate further, we simply set up a new board.

Even better, I have secured new clients by demo-ing CrunchBoards. One specifically based on the forecasting and budgeting capabilities. So, as well as giving current clients a great service, it's helping me grow my own business.

Simon Lee