Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > Accounting >

Used Unreconcile instead of Remove/redo

Started by Gillian Baitson -   in Accounting

I was doing the bank reconciliation and I had used the create function on the right instead of Match as there was a bill sitting.
After the end of the month I noticed what I had done and I went in to fix this (I thought)
I went into the Bank account in question and I unreconciled the transaction in question. I then went back into reconcile the bank account and I used the Match feature to fix it.

I was then going through the bank and noticed the unreconciled transactions showing for the 11 transactions that I had done this with. I then went to watch tutorials to see what I did wrong and it mentioned my scenario and I should have used Remove/Undo instead,

How can I get rid of these extra transactions?
Thanks in advance and I hope I have explained myself right!
Remove and Redo, then don't redo.

Nancy Wauchope  

Thanks so much Nancy!

Gillian Baitson  

What is the difference between 'unreconcile' and 'remove and redo' re payemnts made against purchase invoices please? Remove and redo unhooks the payment and puts it back into the bank rec so that sounds very much like 'unreconcile'. Confusing.

Michael Welbourne  

Remove and Redo will remove the accounting transaction in Xero for the supplier payment and the purchase invoice will become “unpaid”. Hence the need to “Redo” the reconciliation of the bank statement line in order to recreate the supplier payment in Xero.

Unreconcile breaks the link between the bank statement line and the accounting transaction in Xero but does not remove it. The purchase invoice will still be listed as “paid”. The bank statement line will need to be reconciled again and this may cause duplication in Xero.

John Knight  

Hi John. Thanks for your reply. In what kind of situation would you want to use 'Unreconcile' then?

Michael Welbourne  

Hi
Unreconcile might be used to correct a bank reconciliation. Possibly where a bank statement line has been matched (reconciled) to the wrong transaction in Xero.

John Knight  

Perfect example, John. :)

More on unreconcile in our Help Centre, Michael. The main difference as John's suggested is Remove & Redo will delete the bank transaction, whether this be a Spend money, Transfer or Payment transaction on an invoice or bill. Where as Unreconcile will disconnect the transactions and statement line, but leave the bank transaction in the bank available to be matched with another statement line.

Kelly M (Community Manager)  

Does this mean that I am an unusual Xero user and I use the imported bank transactions as the source for creating my bank postings? You make it sound like it is common to do loads of bank account postings ahead of getting the bank transactions and then match the imported bank statement transactions to existing bank account postings. I'm still a bit confused by all this.

Michael Welbourne  

Not at all, Michael. We have businesses of all nature working in Xero. Some businesses may record transactions prior to receiving the payment while others may deal in payment at the time of delivery. Xero allows for these differing scenarios with the use of these two slightly different features.
It sounds like it might be beneficial to come into Support. Just reach out anytime with your questions. We can't give accounting advice, but are happy to discuss your business processes in more depth to get an idea of how Xero might work for your business.

OK. So, just to be clear. Remove and redo will take the payment off the purchase invoice putting back into creditors and removes the payment from the bank account, and will also put the payment back into unreconciled items if it had already been used to create the payment in the first place. It doesn't remove it from downloaded bank transactions, if anything it will reinstate it there.

Michael Welbourne  

I'd really recommend coming into Support if you want further detail on this, Michael. But, yes;
- Payment is removed from invoice/bill
- It is deleted from the account transactions tab of the bank account
- The bank statement line it was reconciled to, is returned to the Reconcile tab in the bank account to be reconciled with another transaction