Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > Tell us how we're doing >

Sales invoice: miscalculation of GST amount

Started by Margaret Knife -   in Tell us how we're doing

I raised an sales invoice, GST exclusive, which sub-totalled to $3,800 but Xero calculated the GST amount as $380.01 which is obviously incorrect. My husband, who is a very experienced programmer, has suggested that this looks like a 'floating point' calculation is being used in the background, rather than a 'decimal' calculation.

I worked around the problem by entering my invoice as GST inclusive, but I think this is a serious issue which needs investigating.
Official Xero Reply
Hi everyone, in case you haven't seen Mark's reasoning above on how we calculate tax, I've added it below:
---
At Xero we calculate tax on a line by line basis, because we offer tracking on lines and therefore each line needs to be able to create a balanced and correct journal. We do this so a tracked balance sheet or a tracked P&L will show the correct figures and your payables or receivables ledger will always balance to the general ledger.
---
Can appreciate that this may differ than it being calculated on a total (as by some other software programs), but there are reasons for this and it's not as simple as it may look.

One potential solution has been requested here - so you're welcome to take a look and subscribe to email updates so you can stay up to date on any changes.

Brittany H (Community Manager)