Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > Using Xero >

How to backup and restore

Started by Dashboard Queen -   in Using Xero

Can anyone tell me how the Xero data is backed up?

Also if we need to do a restore ie go back a week or two due to massive data misentry ... how do we do that ?

Thanks

Mike
Hi Mike!

Basically, since Xero is a cloud accounting application, all data is kept safe and secure without the need of back up in the same way you would have done on a desktop software. Here is a post of Xero defending this approach here.

https://community.xero.com/business/discussion/103661

Now, I understand you may be worried given the fact that it may seem like you no longer have full control over your data, but Xero makes some very good and valid points in that post.

What I will say is that you can export some information, such as your trial balance information in the Adviser>Export tab. Now if you set up your file yourself or if your accountant did it for you, you may not have access to that tab. However, if you are the subscriber you can activate it through the settings>general settings>users interface.

I will also say from my use of the Xero software, in particular fixing up mistakes of bad bookkeeping, I have never felt the need to restore a backup. This is due to the point that Xero makes of using bulk editing within Xero. To give an example I have encountered very often is the incorrect coding of wages payments to the wages expense account, you can simply search for all payments incorrectly coded in the year and recode them. Less than 5 minutes of work! Much faster than restoring a backup. Of course, if you are not experienced in accounting I would recommend against that, instead ask your adviser.

The main drive here of course is transparency in what has happened in your accounts. You can see who made any mistakes, when it happened and what has been done to fix it. Very useful if you have staff working on your books.

Last point, I will say that there are add-ons that can help you do automated backups, but as I have no experience with them as of yet, and the fact that they cost money I can not personally recommend any.

I covered a lot of things here, and if any of it didn't make sense feel free to ask, or alternatively contact your Xero adviser!

Chris.
chris@gardnerbooks.com.au

Chris Gardner  

Hi Mike,

Basically you would need to export everything from Xero get rid of all the transactions from the last 2 weeks then import into a new company. Drop me a email and we can add you to our beta test clients. We are currently developing a system for just this purpose.

Kind Regards

Remember we consult on a per hour basis. Contact us if your need us to fix the problem. $35 per hour.

We can do a 30 min free consultation via Skype.

Henzard Kruger
Certified Xero Advisor and Full Stack developer
Picahoo cc - 0711304241 - henzard@picahoo.co.za
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

I abide by the 3 message rule. After 3 messages we skype.

Henzard Kruger  

Some great points, and nicely worded - Thanks for the all the help team!

@Mike - Please do feel free to add your vote to the feature request (also linked above). This topic has been discussed in-depth there if you're after a bit more info, or else do reach out to Support if you have any other questions.

Kelly M (Community Manager)  

Kelly - The feature request to which you linked does not appear to request the ability to restore earlier versions of Xero, for example in the case of a massive data mis-entry, as mentioned in the OP.

Tom Trainer  

You're right, Tom - We have a separate request for the ability to restore or 'wind back' here. Let Support know if there's something in particular you're trying to 'undo' - They'll be able to explain the options available. :)

Thanks Kelly.

Tom Trainer  

We've been using Xero for a year or so now... and when we decided to properly rec the bank this weekend we accidentally and laboriously deleted loads of transactions (invoices, bank entires etc)... (a fair few hundred)... do we really have to identify and re-enter every entry ? ... or is there no way to reset our system to yesterday (that's all it would take !)... (or should we look to do what Henzard suggested above...?)

Wendy Wild  

Hi Wendy - There is no reset function, however there are often steps you can take to reverse actions you've made. I'd highly recommend contacting Support with detail of what happened, so they can jump on in for a look and give direction on how to fix this.

Thanks for the super speedy reply :)

Wendy Wild  

Merged: Can we have scheduled back up functionality?

I want the ability to have an offline copy of all my own data held in Xero. I'd like a simple back up data button and the ability to schedule these to my company's needs.

This is important because in Xero terms and conditions we're responsible for backing up our data.
The logical consequence of this is that Xero is not responsible for lost data.

Piece of mind, that we have a recent copy to revert to, is important - as is the portability of data.

I really don't want to faff with individual export commands for each type of data, VAT, Payroll, Sales, and so on.

I'm confident that many users would find this important too.

Ange D  

Similar conversation last year
https://community.xero.com/business/discussion/37778006

And I think there are third party apps available.

Margaret Haines  

http://www.controlc.co.nz/
This came from my IT consultant

Margaret Haines  

Totally agree, as advisers we should have the ability to setup auto backup of all our clients Xero Files , as the T&C clearly release Xero for any lose of data. And the fact that Xero user access controls are very limiting adds risk to accidental data deletion as noted above. We have being waiting since 2010 for user controls why is it taking so long I cannot understand

Anna Kyriacou  

I'm the co-founder of an online backup company called Rewind. We specialize in backing up online data. We're backing up over 1 billion items for Shopify and BigCommerce store owners.

We understand the importance of having control over your Xero data, and wanting to backup that data. We also understand that sometimes mistakes happen, and occasionally you need to rewind your changes to a previous version.

We're working on a backup app for Xero that will allow you to do just that. If you're interested in learning more, you can sign up to be notified when we launch at https://rewind.io/backup/xero/

Mike

Mike Potter  

Hi All,

I need to set up 10 new Xero GLs with similar COA, Payroll and contacts. In the past I would normally back up a master with all the metafile data and then recover into the new GLs. Does anyone know if a similar methodolgy is available for Xero?

Chris Batterham  

What if Xero no longer exists and collapses? Where can I get my back-up from?

Magdy Shamaly  

Rewind will allow customers to export their data from the backup in the Rewind Vault so you're in control of your own data.

Mike

Mike Potter  

I thought Rewind didn't do data Xero yet. That's what it says on their web site anyway.

Tom Trainer  

@Tom Trainer - Correct. I mis-spoke. When we backup Xero, we will allow you to export your data from the backup. (We do this now for our Shopify backups.)

I've edited my post to reflect that.

Mike

Mike Potter  

@ Mike can I can point the back up in rewing to a new GL if I have a new subscription of Xero?

Chris Batterham  

@Dean - are you looking to copy your existing Xero data from one account and then put it into another Xero account?
We do that now with our Shopify backups using another product we've built called Replay. We are planning to bring that same functionality to every platform we support, so yes it can be done for Xero.
Can I ask why you'd want to migrate data from one to another? (You can email me privately at mike at rewind dot io if you prefer).

Mike Potter  

Dear Dean,
Thanks for your response. My question is more about risk management rather than migrating data to another account. What if tomorrow there in no Xero for any reason (collapse, market crash, close down). Where do I retrieve my data from if your are no where?

Magdy Shamaly  

I would also want the ability to export all uploaded files.

If the T&C make it plain we are responsible for our data, it is incredible there is no backup mechanism within Xero. They can't have it both ways. If they don't provide the backup, their T&C can't stack up.

F C  

I've tried to find a clear answer but have not been able to find one. Hopefully the community can help or if an official response exists, please point me in the right direction.

If Xero doesn't provide a function to backup and I am sure in the Terms of Use the organisation has limited all the liabilities in an event of data loss... my question is, who can we then turn to? Does that mean everyone is just dead in the water?

Jek Tan  

Xero is still not able to tell users how to get their data back just in case Xero collapses and winds up operations. At that point of time, all users will have access to nothing.

Magdy Shamaly  

Is it yet possible to back up our company data? to a data file? In the unlikely event of some technical failure where the server is located.
Regards
Lawrence

Lawrence Montague  

I think their server is backed up elsewhere. For me, it is more a case of being able to restore to an earlier point in time.

Tom Trainer  

Not being able to have a backup copy of all your own data on the the system and drive of our own choice is an absolute deal killer. Need an Export data command.

Christopher Jacobs  

Hi,

If anyone needs a system that can download a copy of Xero, we have a system that can backup your Xero to XML. We are working on a DB backup (MSSQL) and csv backups. Please contact me or my team if you want to try out the system.

Kind Regards

Remember I consult on a per hour basis. Contact me if your need me to fix the problem. $45 per hour.

We can do a 30 min free consultation via Skype.

Henzard Kruger
Certified Advisor and Full Stack developer
Picahoo cc - 0711304241 - henzard@picahoo.co.za
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

I abide by the 3 message rule. After 3 messages we skype.

Henzard Kruger  

Hi Mike

We launched our backup and RESTORE service for Xero at Xerocon London. For more information see https://www.backupmybooks.com/

The service includes both the ability to restore from a previous point in time and to save backups locally in Excel format. Backups run daily, overnight in your time zone.

Happy to answer any questions.

Regards
Adrian

Adrian Pearson  

backupmybooks.com looks like the perfect solution.

Tom Trainer