Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Help Center

Xero Business Community

Community > Add-on Reviews >

Started by Xero API -   in Add-on Reviews |Bills + Expenses

4.4 out of 5 stars
Based on 61 user ratings
If you are a user of Xero and Expensify, tell us how you are getting on and your experience so far. Any tips?

About Expensify

Expense reports that don't suck! Simplified expense reporting your employees will love, seamlessly integrated with Xero. For more information, check out Expensify.

Remember if you have questions or need assistance with Expensify, this is not the best place to ask - this forum is for reviews and feedback only.

For general support, visit Expensify help or see this page for information on connecting Expensify to Xero.

I've just been speaking to a company that use Expensify and are setting up on multi currency Xero. How does the integration work, if expenses are logged in Expensify in a particular currency, say US Dollars, does this come through into Xero as a purchase invoice in US Dollars? Then US Dollars have to already have been set up in Xero, if the base currency is different?
Thank you

Nicola Wilson  

I use Expensify w/Xero for my practice. Works 98% perfectly (I'd like to be able to code the username to match the username I use in Xero ) - otherwise zero complaints.

I also did a trial run for a client (who hired a new CFO and went with a traditional accounting package for a lot more money (including features they will never use). The problem here is they used tracking info and that info (tags) did not transfer over. I'm told that's being solved in the next quarter or so.

Wayne Spivak  

Hi Jason,

Are you able to confirm whether there are plans to integrate the Tags/Tracking categories from Expensify into Xero? That is a big requirement for a potential client of mine.

Richard Britten-Kelly  

Ditto on the tracking/Tags integration. This is a pretty basic requirement. Any workarounds?

Mike Long  

We are looking at using expensify but really need the ability to use tags and other fields from expensify to map into the tracking categories in Xero. Any timeline on when this could be implemented? Any workarounds?

Actually, I have worked out that you can design an exported csv file in the Expensify export reports editor that works.

You design a CSV export report that EXACTLY matches the columns in the Xero bill csv import template. For tracking categories hard code the names and then link the data from expensify to the option columns.

Takes a bit of fiddling to get the VAT right and the timings but it works.

Not quite the completely automated solution but works fine for now

James Houlder  

James, any chance that you can elaborate on your solution with the CSV? Are you saying that you set up an export CSV in Expensify that matches the format for Xero import, and then manually export and import the CSV for each submitted report?

Rich Boltizar  

Hey just letting you know that as this is the review page for Expensify, you're only about to comment once (for the one review). If you'd like to continue this conversation and ask questions please head over to the Using Xero Add-ons page - thanks!

Brittany H (Community Manager)  

I've had a lot of difficulty with this add-on for my clients. The app itself is good, but it's integration and support with Xero is poor.

1. It was not developed to support "company credit cards". They blamed Xero's API team for not telling them too. They haven't made any efforts or developments on this in over a year.

2. I have been trying to get a question answered for a client for over a week with no response despite writing into support lead, Jonah; marketing lead Ryan; and twitter.

3. Was told I'm not getting support *because only the most profitable partners get priority*.

4. They have an affiliate program, but if they've already (even if only) talked to a company, they won't allow one to get any affiliate credit despite any work put in on affiliate's side.

Xero partners, I would not recommend this app for use with your clients due to their backwards attitude on customer service and their lack of interest in making it work with Xero.

Kirsten Barrie  

When importing from Expensify, how do you stop Xero taking out VAT of every expense?? We obviously do not want this to happen when there are a lot of zero rated transactions.

Nicole Coleman  

We have had very few issues with the Expensify/Xero integration. One suggestion - is it possible to set the date of the expense report in Xero based on a date in the report (e.g. the last date of a receipt) when it is exported from Expensify to Xero? It currently uses the date the report was submitted in Expensify.

Andy Meiers  

Expensify is an incredible tool to use with Xero. The submission process of an expense claim to Xero is so simple. There are very few steps required to the Expensify/ Xero method. It is such a time saving process. My experience has been positive thus far.

Amy Bush  

Not too impressed with the integration. Taken a long time to get expensify to match the categories, get the vat right etc and this only comes with a $5 per user charge from Expensify!
When transfer to Xero, all of the VAT rates etc either default to 20% or to no vat. This means still have to go through line by line. Pretty basic issue that I am very surprised is still in there.

Would be much better if Xero developed the expense entry using the app to allow for non standard vat amounts and also to input mileage claims.

Karl Douglas  

Expensify has been a great tool that we have added to our business! It is truly a pleasure and helps to automate expense reports

Brandon Wasser  

Expensify and Xero work perfect together. Expenify has made receipt management a breeze! We no longer fear losing or misplacing receipts, and our receipts are very easy to access as well. This is a match made in heaven, a true work of art!

Branden Guzzi  

Expensify has automated expense reports and has made receipt storage easy and organized. Not to mention how nicely it syncs with Xero. A++ Software

Alexis Schneider  

Great value added software to our business! Never again will we fear expense reimbursements. We loved that they offered ACH direct deposit reimbursement!

Nicholas Mitchell  

Managing receipts and reimbursable expenses has never been easier since utilizing Expensify!

Kerri Sallie  

The integration between Xero and Expenisfy is bar none one of the best. Handling receipt management, employee reimbursements, and billable items there is no other add-on that can further streamline a businesses' efficiencies with just one platform.

Steven Muller  

Currently the best expense reimbursement tool offered. Expensify emphasizes the importance of simplicity and functionality more-so than any other expense reporting solution available.

Matthew Manning  

Currently the only expense claim solution I recommend to my clients. Simple integration, user friendly, yet built out enough to support any company size. Not to mention the support is great!

Brian Haffey  

Expensify is my go-to for clients who have multiple corporate cardholders. Tracking down 15+ staff members to ask what they bought at Amazon is a huge time suck for any business. With Expensify you put the burden on your staff to ensure everything is coded correctly. You get the final control of approving the reports and expense coding. Once approved you click a button and the expenses are synced in to Xero - a huge time saver!

Catherine Fogarty  

Expensify gives us the ability to automate our clients' expense claims and document management. Best of all, it syncs seamlessly with Xero! Our clients love it and so do we.

Nick Pasquarosa  

I have used Expensify for 4 years now. Over that time, it has save my accounting team countless hours and our users (hundreds of employees) love using it.

The new integration with Xero is wonderful and I know they will continue to support it and make the integrations stronger in the coming months.

Seriously, if you are looking to manage a corporate card or employee expense reimbursement, use Expensify. You can thank me later.

If you think Expensify can't do something, just ask for a support coach to help set you up. Ive never seen a problem they can't solve or put on the roadmap.

David Wieseneck  

Realtime Expense Reports feels equally magical, but its trick is making the expense report itself... disappear! It works like this (and all of these are individually configurable, so you can have as much or as little automation as you like, and dial it up gradually over time):

1) It starts with "automatic report creation" and "auto-reporting". Before, you needed to create your expense report before you could put anything on it. However, reports are a construct for accounting -- they don't really mean anything to the individual submitter, who really thinks in terms of one receipt at a time. So now, we just create the report for you: just take a picture of the receipt (or make a purchase with your corporate card) and voila, the report appears exactly as your accountant wants, with the expense automatically placed on it.

Jordan Zoot  

Expensify is easy to use and makes expense accounts transparent.

Elizabeth Cotter  

Expensify is a great tool and works seamlessly with Xero, It helps to automate expense reports, the bane of our sales team, and has been a welcome addition to our organizational systems, giving our finance team all required records to adequately support company expense reporting.

Detroit Thomas  

Expensify has certainly saved myself and my team a great deal of time especially in dealing with expense claims involving multiple currencies and posting to Xero

Scott Witters  

Expensify has saved us time with expense reimbursements and credit card reconciliations. The only issue we have w/ credit card imports is that the vendors often do not pick up and match to the vendor in Xero and subsequently leave the vendor as "Expensify". This can be time consuming to go back in and edit all these transactions.

Lisa Barker  

Expensify has saved me tons of time when it comes to reconciling credit card statements, and processing expense reports. The sync process between Expensify and Xero has a couple minor bugs, but they are always working on making it better. It probably saves me 5-10 hours a week.

Kevin Kihlstrom  

Overall good though a bit confusing as expenses from expensify appear as "unpaid" bills even if the expense has been reimbursed through expensify.

Christa Preston  

I have been using expensify for a long time. Not sure it moves the direction I was hoping or is as intuitive as I would like, but overall it does make life a little easier. The pricing seem reasonable for what they provide. My biggest constructive criticism is I wish they prioritized the accountant and accountancy workflow higher than they currently do. A lot of there features, functionality, and UI is built around individuals instead of power users like accountants.

Tim Donohoue  

The 3xScreen team loves Expensify - it is quick and easy for staff to scan expenses and create reports, staff get expenses reimbursed as soon as they submit their reports and, now the Expensify App can also code expenses against Xero tracking categories, there is only a little effort required to update claims once they are in Xero to ensure VAT is/isn't included as appropriate.

Scott Robinson  

We use Expensify in all our operating companies across the globe and the best features are the FX and the tagging which now works really well with XERO.

Daniela Scarpa  

We started using Expensify several months ago and are wondering why we didn't do it sooner. Previously we had issues with employees taking way too long to submit expenses simply because they were avoiding the headache of the old spreadsheet and hardcopy receipt system. In my role as CFO it not only was having to hound employees painful, but then having to process manually the reports into Xero was me least favourite task.

Now our employees have the Expensify app installed on their devices allowing them to record expenses on the fly, photo capture the receipt then throw it away. As CFO I can see the progress of expenses through the month so by the time the expense reports are submitted I know what to expect.

And the ease of syncing with Xero, tracking approval and reimbursements is a god send, saving me and employees so much time each month to spend on value add tasks.

We have even started using Expensify to replace our old paper based/spreadsheet Petty Cash/Office expense system. All receipts are captured electronically, expense tracked throughout the month making end of month petty cash reporting much simpler.

Kendall Cordes  

Easy for employees to use and integrates well with Xero.

Teri Kelly  

I would love to see the Tags and Tracking integrated between Expensify and Xero. That is the one thing that would make my life so much easier!

Tanya Stephens  

Xero has been a great resource for leveraging integrations and automation with third party tools.

Brennan de Raad  

As a company with a large sales force, naturally we have a ton of expense claims to deal with - Expensify has made it simple for us a finance team, for the people claiming and the integration to Xero saves a ton of time by automating the accounts posting of these claims.

Paul Bone  

Expensify has just done an update and now I can't export the reports from Expensify to Xero - all the save information have been reset. The error message is "but some have expenses that are not categorized with a Xero account"

Under Categories, I have ticked the accounts 'enable' a couple days of ago, I have sync'd the connection and it still doesn't work.

Also Expensify doesn't not deal with VAT at all.

Their UI could be better as well, new users are confused with Expensify's process

But once it works, it does save time.

Sofia Kallin  

Good and improving. I've used expensify for 4 years and was very happy even without integration with our ledger. Now we use Xero it makes things simpler for everybody. The process of getting receipts into expensify, submitting claims, authorising claims and exporting to Xero is easy. Not everything is as clear as it should be and you can only break individual expenses down to one tracking category and then I have to re-input them in Xero but it's easier than the alternatives.
Apps, emails, dropbox, browser extensions, if you can think of a way of submitting expenses it is probably covered by expensify.

Rob Tìgeir  

Expensify has made reimbursing and keeping track of our team's expenses a breeze! Highly recommend!

Sofia Gracia  

Expensify is the easist expense system that I have come across and my team loves it.

It is simple, intuitive and so easy to learn.

Highly recommended

Elyse Jenkins  

Simple to use and easy to integrate with Xero. It's made a huge difference to our expenses process. Would highly recommend.

Only downside is a few bugs in the software. However, support are quick to resolve.

Craig Adams  

Big fan with a few small caveats.
I think they are improving the posting of tracking codes.
It also confuses people when they do their reimbursement setups. I can't see if they are setup, so I need to try to repay blindly. Annoying.
Other than that, braindead simple.

keith perry  

I use Expensify with Xero, I did have an issue with syncing my categories but emailed Expensify support and they were prompt and fantastic at dealing with / resolving the problem.

Allan Bowe  

Expensify synced to xero is a huge incremental value add.

Thomas Fasullo  

Hey All! My name is Matt and I was part of the team responsible for updating our Xero integration. We are so happy to see that Expensify has helped improved the processes of businesses everywhere.

It looks like some of the folks leaving us reviews might not be aware of some of the awesome functionality that we have recently released. This would include support for tracking categories, non-reimbursable expenses, and marking bills as paid for reimbursed reports. For those that would like to see more check out the following:

To upgrade to v2

Full Xero support page

If you have any additional questions always feel free to send them to help@expensify.com!

P.S. Look out for billable expenses coming soon...

Matt Donaldson  

Expensify is awesome. Unlike before, we now spend almost no time on expense reports and the Xero integration is seamless. Highly recommended.

Chad Harrington  

We're big fans of Expensify and it works great Xero. Straightforward, easy to use.

James Pace  

Being able to integrate Expensify into Xero with such ease has made a world of difference when it comes to reconciling expenses - an absolute breeze.

Kate Phibbs  

Expensify and xero work very well together, streamlining the entire process and minimising wasted time and excessive paperwork. Strongly support expensify.

Anne-Marie Ransby  

Expensify has changed the way we report on Expenses across the business. Managing three different global locations, this gives me greater transparency across all regions and allows for seamless synchronisation across all the different areas. The sync works greats. Terrific Xero add on.

Accounts Admin  

Expensify and Xero are both great programs which work well together. And they only get better as time goes on. Improvements are being made all the time, so if you have an issue or a change you would like see, just let the Expensify & Xero teams know and you may get your wish with upcoming releases.

Beverly Massey  

The combination of Expensified and Xero make business accounting and budgeting easier to manage. If Xero could implement auto-emails to notify an admin when a new bill has been posted and needs approval they would have a home run. This feature would greatly enhance the workflow.

Christa MacDonald  

For our small company, Expensify is very convenient. For our employees who travel, it eliminates the hassle of collecting paper receipts - the receipts are uploaded at the employee's convenience, and it's much easier to pass expense reports on to the approvers who can transfer the expenses into Xero with a single click.

David Eckmann  

Love the quick response from the expensify support team. Very easy and simple to use.expensify works well but it is quite annoying that I can't edit an invoice in xero that has pushed through from expensify, you have to find and recode. Also it would be a real time saver if items that are categorised in expensify could have those same tracking categories pushed through into xero.

Insaaf Kamedien  

If find Expensify very easy to use. It allows me an audit trail of expenses in various stages; pending, approved, and completed. This function makes it easier for me verify all expenses have been reimbursed.

Sandie Balash  

We have found using Expensify in Xero pretty seamless, though there have been a few challenges. Only having one super user able to export Expensify reports to Xero has caused problems, and the tagging system integration between Expensify and Xero is sometimes cumbersome. Overall we will definitely keep using the two tools together though.

Alix Dunn  

Expensify is a time saving product. Especially around integration and syncing. Highly recommended.

Walt Spevak  

From a pile of receipts and a haphazard way of reconciling expenses to a steam-lined, on the go process - Expensify is great. The integration with Xero allows for a pretty seamless integration with accounting software. Expensify makes it easy to track expenses, Xero makes it easy to account for them. Good work!

Scott Mueller  

I love telling my clients that there is a way throw away their paper receipts AND still have them in a safe place in the case of an audit. Now I can add in that they can be synced seamlessly into Xero. Thanks for helping me be their hero!

Dessina Storm  

This sync allows us to easily match our contractors expenses without the messy data entry. Grateful for this app!

bookkeeper ornot  

Once we got it set up properly it's been easy, just hit the export to Xero button and over it goes awaiting payment, already coded to the correct accounts and departments.

Ian Thorn  

I manage both Expensify and Xero, and their seamless integration has been a lifesaver. I do not remember any issues at all with setting it up. The expense categories from Xero show up for all our users, and Xero export takes a single click. I hope to see the same ease of user experience with other apps as well.

Abhishek Kashyap  

We found Expensify to be the ultimate expense report solution for our customers. Between standard expense reports to the new real-time reimbursements, we have the flexibility to offer our customers a solution that fits their needs. Although banking setup can be a chore due to compliance requirements, once it's up and running we have no complaints.

Rhett Molitor  

Expensify does well in keeping the accounting nice and simple. The account mapping works well, but the syncing of the expense reports can be a little more streamlined.

Robert Mah  

It's a great add-on!

Jennifer Robinson  

I've been using Xero now for the last six months and love it. I'm new to Expensify in the last two months and love how easy the transition to using it has been! Just awesome!

Lara O'Brien  

The integration is quite easy and makes the expense process simple

Eric Van Cleve  

I've been using Expensify for a few months now and I find the integration with Xero to be very great! I can export reports quite easily and Xero speaks well with Expensify in regards to categorizing expenses. :)

Dominique Tibbs  

So far so good. I have one client that Expensify has been especially good for. The company employs sales people that load up on personal expenses for reimbursement and travel. Its policy settings allow salespeople to be 'forced' into getting all of the reimbursement documentation right before they can get paid out. It saves a lot of administrative headaches.

Avery Dorland  

Expensify is a great tool to use with Xero. The submission process of an expense report to Xero is so easy. My experience has been a positive one. Their customer support team is very helpful too!

Adrienne Hart