Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Help Center

Xero Business Community

Community > Add-on Reviews >

MinuteDock

Started by Xero API -   in Add-on Reviews |Time tracking

4.9 out of 5 stars

Based on 51 user ratings
If you are a user of Xero and MinuteDock, tell us how you are getting on and your experience so far. Any tips?

About MinuteDock

MinuteDock is an online solution to help people who bill by the hour track and invoice their time. 14 day free trial (and then from $16/month), check out MinuteDock.

Tip

Remember if you have questions or need assistance with MinuteDock, this is not the best place to ask - this forum is for reviews and feedback only.

For general support, check out the MinuteDock frequently asked questions

54 Customer Reviews
We use MinuteDock at Southgate Labs for all our time tracking. It's the perfect tool for a high performance team.

The time-tracking functionality is completely painless and streamlined for our team. Because they don't have to fight with some horrible interface we know we're not having billable hours slip through the cracks.

The reporting and invoicing functionality is incredibly powerful too, our finance team can slice and dice the data as required and generate everything they need.

MinuteDock is the perfect balance of ease of use and power, we recommend it to everyone.

Michael Koziarski  

What can I say, MinuteDock enables me to track time so easily that I don't even think of it as a chore any more.

Customers like the breakdowns I can give them along with the details etc.

The ability to start and stop the timer whilst on the move is such a boon as I never have to try and remember how long was I at X's

Michael Tott  

We would be lost without this now - it's so simple and efficient.

As we provide book keeping and administrative support to other businesses, we perform a lot of different tasks for different customers throughout the day. Using Minute Dock means we don't have to waste time figuring out what we did for who.

We can easily itemise our charges, showing clients how much time we spent on different tasks which they love, as they know exactly how we're spending our time to assist them.

Definitely recommend this one!

Abby Porter  

I've been using Minute Dock for 2+ years and it's an integral part of my day. I track everything I do so I can review how I spend my time and make sure I'm capturing all the billable hours. Then at the end of the month it's a simple process to generate invoices and get them into Xero.

As my company grows we are planning to stick with Minute Doc.

Aaron Morton  

MD is simple and extremely effective. There is no messy interface or learning curve involved, and the fact that it is mobile is awesome. Great data breakdowns too.

Well recommended.

Blair Aickin  

Does exactly what it says on the box. Pricing model is fair. Reporting is quite straightforward.

Cal Wilson  

Have used for one year & would not give it up. The amount of value it has added to my business is far in excess of its monthly cost.

Jonathan Brewer  

Minutedock is simple to use, works exactly as advertised and is value for money. I use it to keep track of time for multiple clients every day without any issues.

Scott Muller  

Brilliant time tracking tool, so easy to navigate and use. Logging time used to be a tedious chore, now it's simple, easy and quick. My clients have been thrilled that my invoices show exactly what I have been doing and the time spent on each task. Thank you MinuetDock and Xero.

Adrienne Booth  

MinuteDock is great. Being able to generate invoices directly from MinuteDock to Xero is a huge time saver.

Richard Bourne  

We have been using MinuteDock for 3 years now and it is fantastic! It is super easy to use - which means our whole team remains diligent about logging our time. The project and task tags gives us the granularity we need for our business and our customers. The goals and reporting functionality makes it simple to keen a handle on things. We also give some customers direct access - which is great for transparency.

Integration with Xero is the pièce de résistance - invoicing time is a dream. The combination of MinuteDock and Xero makes our time recording and invoicing incredibly efficient.

We rely on MinuteDock and it has never let us down - I totally endorse this service!

Carl Penwarden  

Best Time Tracking Software I have used as I like simple and it paid for it self in the first week with recording lost time that I may not have normally recorded.

2 year user and would not change it.

Great Export to xlsx, and I love the goals as it reminds my to record lost time.

Integration with Xero is great (8/10), but needs improving as I would like to add:
Product Code and Tracking ID into the Minutedock to Xero upload, so I can better analysis my time in Xero.

Tim Brown  

We use MinuteDock every day and find it excellent. Its interface with Xero is seamless and allows our invoices to be created on Xero without fuss or complication. Our clients often complement the narrative we add to their invoices using MinuteDock. Since using it we have never had a customer question the time we spend on their assignments.

Max Whitehead  

We use minutedock to track all our time - its great, simple and intuitive. It enables us to quickly record time on projects specific to task codes, and save lots of data entry. we export draft invoices to Xero and edit when required. Enabling us to track the difference between all time spent and what we were able to invoice so know if on track re: budgets etc. And of course the regular use of reports as the month progresses helps lots.

But best of all we LOVE the daily encouraging notes on the lighter side of life - bringing a smile.

have been using it for over 2 years now.

Tracy Ogden-Cork  

Memia has been using Minutedock since 2010 and we put all our internal and customer-billable time tracking through it. End-of-month billing goes straight through to Xero and is now a streamlined process that now only takes 30 mins, if that! Nice.

The real-time reporting is great, the time tracking painless and easy to learn and it's been reliable too - I've only ever noticed a couple of minor downtime moments in over 3 years.

The transparency of realtime customer-viewable timesheets is also a differentiator for us and helps us build 360 degree trust with customers on what they are paying for.

Absolutely recommended.

Ben Reid  

Time is money and money is made using MinuteDock.

It allows us to easily track our time across the team, per project, per task, however we want to breakdown our reporting and QUICKLY output invoices through to Xero.

MinuteDock is superb, it just makes our lives so simple!

Priceless and highly recommend.

Josh Reid  

Love Minute Dock! It's a very simple and effective way to track your time and, essentially, where and how your money is being made (or not).

I recommend it.

Hannah Iranon  

This is a great app. The short cuts require a small investment of time and patience in the initial hours of docking your time but the payback is outrageously good.

Once you get used to the very very well thought out interface all other time logging software will seem like its from the 80's.

Great app by some smart people.

Stop your search for a time logging tool and get going with Minutedock.

Patrick O'Connor  

I've used MinuteDock for several years now, I'm a sole trader but work with Associates as well. I love the integration between MinuteDock and Xero and the ease of using the system.

It's rare I have any issues I need to speak to the guys at MinuteDock about but when I do they are friendly and helpful.

I'd be more than happy to recommend them and their service.

Helen Stothard  

Minutedock has saved me hours a month. I am a sole trader providing mobile computer support services. I charge for my time & ancillary parts etc.

Invoicing used to be my most hated time of the month. Now with Minutedock - as long as I faithfully record stuff AS I DO IT, it is a breeze.

So much easier than trying to create a keep invoices open, or cutting and pasting data from my calendar.

Love it!

Bob Southwell  

Perfect Combination of systems. Makes tracking time, logging and more importantly converting this time in to a Xero invoice a breeze. If you provide time billed services and use Xero, MinuteDock is the most value you can add to your business for $120 NZD a year!

Laurie Barker  

I use MinuteDock for my one man software consulting business and it is a life saver. I used to do this complicated Excel spreedsheet for tracking time and it took more time to fill out than it was worth.

Switched to minutedock and never looked back.

Xero is so good about being fast to enter data and being very keyboard focused. MinuteDock follows the same approach and this is a big selling point me.

Time entry needs to be quick and out of the way. That is exactly what Minute dock is. At the end of the week pushing invoices to Xero couldn't be easier.

If you working on an hourly rate basis or need to track project time on an hourly basis you can't get much better than this combination of MinuteDock and Xero. Well worth the money.

Brad Cunningham  

I've been using MinuteDock with Xero since I started working for myself over 2 years ago. It's excellent for someone like myself because it's very easy to use, and invoicing is a dream. End of month billing is an absolute breeze.

I also manage a company using Harvest and Xero, and I always dread billing time with that setup, but with MinuteDock I'm in and out in 10 minutes.

Robin Marshall  

I've used MinuteDock for the past four months. It is very easy to set up and use, can be used from anywhere, and the support is excellent. End of month billing is quick and easy.

Andrew Burnet  

What a breeze to use. Natural language and style for time entry, and use online anywhere - makes it easy for staff. Along with the good price, it's a painless investment to cover time logging. End of month billing is incredibly easy - shift all time across to the invoice then edit as necessary.

Mark Blackham  

I've been working as a contractor for the past two years and have been using MinuteDock to track my time and create my monthly invoices.

I also use it to prepare a client's monthly invoices which can be complicated, but MinuteDock takes all of the stress out.

It's a simple but powerful tool and I love how my invoices magically appear in Xero - it's super quick and super easy to use.

It is a pleasure to use so nice work MinuteDock guys :)

Ange Travers-Jones  

We're architects so we basically sell time (spent on all the esoteric design stuff but time nonetheless). Minutedock is a great way to track that time and we can easily log job, stage, client etc... to as much detail as we can handle. Cost is good - simply because we use it so much. It's part of how we work now - highly recommended

John Durkin  

We use MinuteDock for all our time tracking at elucidcode. It provides an easy way to record and report on time spent on a project. Integration with Xero is brilliant and has saved so much time creating invoices. We are able to provide our clients with a read-only link so they can view how much time has been spent on a project. No more time-sheets!

Awesome product, highly recommended!

Tim Ross  

Minute Dock is a powerful yet simple to use program that provides us and our customers some great reporting on many levels. I love its intuitive use short cuts like time, tasks and projects.

Its integration with Xero is faultless and makes weekly billing of clients a breeze. This program truly deserves 5 stars.

Graham Miles  

Minutedock is excellent. Contacts, projects, tasks, budgets. Different ways to slice up your time, report on it, and invoice.

Entries are a breeze too - use a form if you prefer, or get to know the shortcuts, and enter everthing in one go into a twitter-like interface. Or just use twitter itself!

The only downside comes from Xero, rather than minutedock. You cannot force a contact to be a customer in Xero, and a contact won't sync to minutedock until they are a customer. So you have to step through a silly workaround of creating and deleting an invoice in Xero just to convert a contact to a a customer so it ends up in minutedock.

Paul Murphy  

nuff said.

Agustin Musi  

Finally, an easy to use Time Tracking system! Great reports as well.

Nigel Fish  

Awesome app, simply the best.

Geoff Hunter  

I do the book keeping for our business and the Minutedock/Xero partnership is perfect for us. The invoicing system for clients is quick and simple, the reconciling of accounts through the automatic bank feed system is SO handy, the help centre is easy to navigate (and very helpful) if we ever hit a wall so there is minimal time spent trying to understand the software, and when tax time comes around everything is organised for you with a few clicks! Any business will find this system easy to adopt and so economical. 5 stars :)

Godel Accountant  

We've used Minutedock for about 3 years now. Very solid app and the UI makes actually docking time just work. It's not a swiss army knife but ultimately you need everyone able to record what they're doing and we've found it excellent at capturing that. Minutedock ftw

Josh Forde  

It's great! I love the smart parsing of your time entries, e.g. "@client worked on X, Y and Z for an hour and a half"

Nick Malcolm  

Didn't have to think twice about recommending MinuteDock! Have seen it work in all sorts of different businesses (we are bookkeepers) and it is exceptional - simple to dock, easy to report and invoice from, and the support team are efficient and comical. Homegrown goodness right there! :)

Katie Le Roux  

I love MinuteDock's integration with Xero. Creating an invoice is quick and simple and takes Xero's next invoice number. I wish some other tools I use that integrate with Xero had the same level of sophistication in their integration. Well done guys.

Joseph Hanna  

I used to spend half an hour entering time into Xero invoices on the previous time-tracking tool. With MinuteDock, I only need 5 minutes.

The best part is being able to use natural language to enter time.

Su Yin Khoo  

As a bookkeeper with a number of clients, MinuteDock is a great time, project, and task time-recording system. It is simple to use, and the invoicing integrates perfectly with Xero. Clear interface with just the essentials on the screen. Easy to setup too. Prompt responses to any queries, and support are very helpful.

There will be suggestions, and I'm sure it will develop more over time - but provides me with everything I need to track time for clients.

Diane Chisholm  

We (Novo Group) are a professional services consulting firm and have been using MinuteDock for over a year and find it great. Its simple and intuitive for staff to use and makes accurate and detailed recording of time incredibly easy.
The responsiveness and support by the MinuteDock team is also fantastic, with quick responses to any questions big or small and suggestions on feedback.
There's some room for improvement with customising views and sorting of contacts/projects and standardising or simplifying invoicing before it gets to Xero, but this will inevitably happen over time and certainly shouldn't put you off getting on board!

Jeremy Phillips  

Use this product everyday, has enabled me and my staff to more accurately bill our customers.

We would be lost without it.

Nathan Dunn  

I have used minute dock for almost 2 years - makes time recording simple and quick.
Links with Xero smoothly and when I have had the occasional question or suggestion I have always had a prompt response

Peter McLean  

Minutedock used to drive me crazy because I have to log all my time with my clients timetracking system, and I had to manually copy and paste over the entries into Minutedock every month. Then I discovered their awesome, easy to use and very powerful API. Now I have a tiny script that I run each month and it autopopulates minutedock. Really awesome tool and a great team. Definitely worth trying it out.

Ben Nolan  

Minutedock has made a great difference to our business. We get all our timesheets lodged quicker, which means invoices get sent sooner, which means we get paid faster and nothing is forgotten. Now we also use it to track coffee intake!

Tony Miller  

MD is easy to use and has allowed me to get a better understanding of how I am allocating my time.
As well as customer tasks I also log my internal admin, travel, promotional activities etc.
This has meant that i can better track all my un-billable activities.
It is also great for tracking those tiny 5-10 minute tasks that you do for clients but may not remember to bill. Great product.

Hugh Bowman  

MinuteDock is great. It does everything we need. I just use it in a Fluid app so it's like a native app. One of these days they'll make a native app with menubar start/stop and it will be time tracking nirvana.

Jason Garber  

After trying a variety of alternatives, I found minutedock to be by far the best option for simple time tracking. It's realistically priced, unobtrusive, no learning curve, and "just works".

Levi Wheatcroft  

MinuteDock and Xero are a great combination for freelance workers like me. Definitely the best option I've found.

Ben Allfree  

I am new to both Xero and Minutedock and I am trying to integrate Minutedock with Xero - can any one help please. I also want to change the hourly rate to £20.00 within Minutedock, but I am having some difficulty - any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Danielle Millar  

@Danielle it’s great to hear that you’re getting set-up with Xero and MinuteDock!

Any specific questions about integrating this Add-on with Xero are best directed to the Community page: Using Add-Ons - as this thread is for the review of Add-On Partners.

You might also want to have a look at the MinuteDock’s FAQ section of their website the answer to your question appears to be here: How can I change the default hourly rate for a Contact?
Thanks.

Brittany H (Community Manager)  

We've been using Minutedock for a few months now to manage a small professional services IT consulting team. The interface is very easy to use and the price is great. As the business owner, I no longer fear we aren't recording all of our billable hours. The reporting interface gives me what I need to check on employee billable performance throughout the week and the invoicing is simple.

The only downside so far is that I didn't find this sooner!

Nathan Scott  

MinuteDock has worked great in our transition from Freshbooks to Xero. Their staff has been very helpful and responsive also.

Brian Wilson  

I am a great bookkeeper, but was never great at sending invoices to my clients. I have been using MinuteDock for a couple of months now and I am sending out invoices on a regular basis and receiving payment which is nice. Dont have to sit down with the diary once a month (or in my case, once every few months and go thru each client and bill them, can now just create invoice in MinuteDock and pick it up in xero, make any changes I want and out it goes to my clients.

Debbie Garchow