Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Help Center

Xero Business Community

Community > Add-on Reviews >

Started by Xero API -   in Add-on Reviews |Payments

1.7 out of 5 stars
Based on 20 user ratings
If you are a user of Xero and PayPal, tell us how you are getting on and your experience so far. Any tips?

About PayPal

PayPal is a safe, easy way to pay and get paid online. You can accept credit card payments and automatically view and reconcile transactions within Xero. For more information, check out PayPal.

For integration support, contact Xero, or for issues relating to PayPal service, contact PayPal. Please also see this guide on integrating PayPal and Xero.

My experience of Paypal and Xero is terrible. There is a bug between the two that duplicates all payment transfers to my nominated bank account. I have had to manually go through the last 6 months and remove the offending line items in bank statements. What angered me to begin with is that you KNOWINGLY knew the bug existed however nowhere did I receive a communication to this effect. Can you please be so kind and inform me when this is actually going to be fixed. I cannot be the only one that is unhappy.

Ruth Benjamin-Thomas  

Initially I found Paypal fiddly to set up the bank feeds to Xero, I've had no experience with bugs. In fact I find it a great add on.

Ivana Dryland  

Im in NZ there is no way that I can create an account as my IP is not from America, this is one of the lousiest links I have ever seen.
WIth the current link there is no way I can create an account as I dont have a zip code or a relevant american phone number, well fancy that, im in NZ!!!

Dan Pollard  

They don't have business payments enabled, so I was charged 2.9% of the entire transaction. That's $183! With business payments, any U.S. B2B non-credit card transaction only costs $0.50. We need that.

Nathan Tate  

This very badly needs to have Business Payments enabled. As currently designed, all payments through this integration are charged a 2.9% processing fee - killer for large invoices.

Paypal's "Business Payments" feature has already been implemented by Freshbooks, and allows payments of any size for $0.50 flat. Need it.

Bill DAlessandro  

I'm having real problems manually uploading the PayPal Bank Statements into Xero. I think I have followed the instructions in the Business Help Centre exactly, and am able to get the initial data for a month uploaded fine, but then once I change the columns in the csv to enable the PayPal fees for that month to come across into Xero, the template will thereafter assume, when I want to import the next month’s main transaction information, that it merely wants to upload the fees. I have tried using “Edit Account Details” to no avail. Can anyone help!

Philip Naylor-Leyland  

Very bad paypal-Xero integration experience with many clients. Switched to manual csv integration in many cases. Just dropped the paypal account in Xero in others after losing many hours.

Daniel Vézina  

No problems at all with Paypal and its feeds into Xero. No problems with uploading the CSV past transactions either. Just to give readers an update; maybe the negativity from others on this forum is justified from their point of view but I'm not having any issues. Note that you have to use only those headings that appear in the upload mapping when uploading CSV's - most of the information in the Paypal CSV must be discarded. Hope thats helpful.

Dianne Jewell  

I agree with Dianne Jewell's comments. I found the config and set up very straightforward.
I am investigating whether or not I can set it up for Paypals "Business Payments" Like others I would love to see fees of 50c and 2.9%.
The only issue I have is when Paypal occasionally take a transaction to one side to "investigate" I have to pull that from Payapl as a csv file and upload manually.

Dave Hume  

tried to set it up today- Im in NZ can't seem to do it sick of wasting time so won't bother

Miles Nathan  

Is Paypal a Merchant Gateway, A Bank or My Auditor.

At 1703 Friday I received an email from PayPal saying that my account was limited. (Paypals AU merchant services close at AEST 1700 and don't open until Monday.

I had a PayPal link on my Xero invoice until today. I have used the link for the past year with no problems.

My Payments via Paypal increase and they insist I provide, details of my suppliers, details of my sales, tracking details, proof delivery and the list goes on.

Three months ago I seek to use Paypal GO and then thud needing the 100 points of ID etc.

But then

They have limited my account and held on to $3200 until I provide the following;

I am stunned at the incredulity of their requirements

21 May 2014 Proof of name and date of birthTo help us confirm your identity, we require a document that contains your full name and date of birth. Click the Resolve button for a list of acceptable documents. Information Received-Accepted task complete Complete
21 May 2014 Proof of AddressTo help us confirm your address, we require a document that contains your full name and residential address. Click the Resolve button for a list of acceptable documents. Information Received-Not Accepted please resubmit Reason: Document did not contain Requested information Resolve
15 Aug 2014 Provide InvoicesPlease confirm that you own the merchandise you're selling. Valid documents are copies of sales receipts and original bills of sale referencing where you purchased or acquired the item(s) you are selling. Invoices must also show date of purchase, name of wholesaler or supplier, a description of the items sold, quantity of items purchased and the amount you paid for the merchandise. We will handle your information in accordance with our privacy policy. Waiting for your response Resolve

I tried to call but as I said the Paypal merchant support closes at 5 pm three minutes before they sent the email.

I would like other feedback about whether anyone has experienced the same.

Please see all in my next post

Phil Brumby  

Paypal is appalling - so far we have lost $1600 with them. They cancel transactions for no reason which is an absolute pain after the client has happily paid and then left. Just now they have reversed $600 payment to us that they deemed suspicious - The reason appeared to be that the payer was a "non US resident" -- all our payers are! It would have been far far cheaper to have installed an eftpos machine.
Don't bother trying to contact them - they don't respond.

SBA Whangaparaoa  

I am in the same position as Phil. We had been using paypal and then applied to use paypal go - now they want information on our business that not even the bank who we have been trading with for 15+ years, requires!

I've placed them in the too hard basket which is a pity because for many years they have been easy to deal with...

Emma Vercoe  

Everything was working fine till we decided to inform all our customers that we were accepting Paypal.

Our sales transaction with Paypal more than double on the next month. What did they do? They blocked my account because our volume increased too fast, WTH???

Integration works fine, but I we have more than 15,000 USD held by Paypal for almost 20 days after we send all the info they need (even contacting each customer that bought recently and ask them to write english emails to Paypal saying that they received what they paid).

I don't recommend to anyone.

Lincoln Fracari  

My paypal account just disappeared from xero with no one deleting it.

Cedric Pilard  

Removed it after 1 transaction as it the fee PP took was astronomical. I see that others have problems with it not linking to business seller fee's also. Trying GoCardless now...

David Wilde  

Stay away, Paypal is a risk to any business. Phil was right about them overstepping with regard to information. Use stripe - they know their place!

Murray Leach  

This is typical of customer service from Xero it seems. Lots of complaints and no response from Xero at all Come on guys, respond!! I have PayPal business account but after reading these comments there's no way I'm bringing it across. I also have an Ecwid account that is waiting to be connected by Xero.

Andy Spence  

Hi again Andy, this a section just for the review of our third party Add-ons - which is why we don't usally comment on these. If you have any issues with PayPal, you'll need to contact them directly or our Support team.

Matt O (Community Manager)  

Need the ability to add a surcharge, PayPal's fees are just to high to justify.
Sticking with eWAY for the time being.

Chris Holman  

Yep I have, and my clients all have had issues with Paypal and their method of doing 'business'.

Stick with local, reliable vendors who do this.

I have had good experiences with DPS and SwipeHQ in NZ.

Ed Adams  

Just deleted PayPal from my Xero account, I don't think this is a Xero fault but Paypal keeps adding on postage on top of the customers invoice, I know I could remove that element in Paypal but it would affect all my customers even those who are purchasing off the web site

Alan Caulfield