Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Help Center

Xero Business Community

Community > Add-on Reviews >

Spanner Planner

Started by Xero API -   in Add-on Reviews |Invoicing + Jobs

3.8 out of 5 stars
Based on 6 user ratings
If you are a user of Xero and Spanner Planner, tell us how you are getting on and your experience so far. Any tips?

About Spanner Planner

A complete, online, workshop management system designed to simplify the running of your business - for cars, boats, bikes and planes. For more information, check out Spanner Planner.

Remember if you have questions or need assistance with Spanner Planner, this is not the best place to ask - this forum is for reviews and feedback only.

For general support, check out the Spanner Planner support centre or this page for information on connecting Spanner Planner to Xero.

A breath of fresh air for Sam users. Walk to your vehicles with an ipad, order parts, check on registration plates and book in the next service, quotes just released - will go from strength to strength. Nice and easy interface

Gayle Buchanan  

Just converted a motor mechanic to Spanner Planner - The owner is happy, with reduced administration time and a user friendly interface.

Michael McCook  

Fantastic system for mechanical workshops - have been working with the team for sometime now. They have just rolled out some new features over the past 24 hrs. The support is fantastic nothing is too hard for them, taking on suggestions from end users. I am really impressed with the simplicity and richness of functionality. Say goodbye to paper jobs come in Spanner Planner and Xero perfect combo

Gillian Rossouw  

Spanner planner is great to use, but the support centre is not contactable by phone. This is frustrating when your email is not returned.

Katrina Picard  

Spanner planner was not up to the task - we tried it for some time but went to Workshop software - this is promising however not good enough yet sadly, this needs work before its right too and still feels beta, and for the money should be better. Looks like mechanic desk is next for a trial - I will let you know.....

Dom Sullivan  

Hi Dom Sullivan, just wondered how you're getting on with Mechanic Desk???
We're currently looking for software to run an auto electrical business. Wondering also what it was that you didn't like about Spanner Planner and Workshop Software?

Katherine Beeton  

We have just joined Spanner Planner set ready for training session with workshop Manager and website is down. Rather frustrating not being able to phone support emails take to long.

Karen Roper  

I'm done with Spanner Planner. I have tried to use it for a few days and its just not up to the standard I would expect from a paid add-on. Its not very intuitive either, I have been trying to delete a job for about 20 mins now and there is no option. Also, If I put a job in the planner starting at 8am (with the working day set at 8-5) and put the hours for the job in at 12 hours the planner says my mechanic finishes work on the job at 8pm.....seems like a fairly simple missing feature to carry the job on to the next day once we reach 5pm?? Ok he can clock in and out of the job, but when I am trying to see the week plan I need to remember that there are 3 hours carrying over from the day before, or put it in as a separate job.

Help at Spanner Planner say they have a new add-on coming out in July called Worksnap which seems much better. I am going to give that a go.

Edit: I worked out how to cancel/delete a job.....You need to remove all labour items, remove all parts, then a cancel button appears which you can use to remove a job.....see what I mean about not being intuitive.

Adam Jackson  

I love Spanner Planner and so does my client. It's clean and easy to use (once you receive the right training)!

From a Xero sync perspective however, if you have more than one revenue stream and purchase nominal code, then you'll be stuck. Spanner Planner only has a facility to use one of each which doesn't help my client ascertain which area of his business is succeeding or not doing so well. i.e. refurbishment, servicing or just new parts. There is a way around it but it's a little tedious every time you carry out a sync!

Also, if you use the live bank feed option within your Xero, ensure you don't make any payment allocations on Spanner Planner to the invoices. They will be sync'd 'Paid' and therefore you won't be able to reconcile your bank account.

Hopefully some improvements will be made in the near future.

Abby Crane