Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Help Center

Xero Business Community

Community > Add-on Reviews >

DEAR Inventory

Started by Xero API -   in Add-on Reviews |Inventory

4.8 out of 5 stars

Based on 13 user ratings
If you are a user of Xero and DEAR Inventory, tell us how you are getting on and your experience so far. Any tips?

About DEAR Inventory

Enables you and your team to manage all products, customers, suppliers, contacts, purchases and sales in one easy-to-use system, check out DEAR Inventory.

Tip

Remember if you have questions or need assistance with DEAR Inventory, this is not the best place to ask - this forum is for reviews and feedback only.

For general support, check out the DEAR Inventory support centre

19 Customer Reviews
This is a great product. Software works logically and a lot faster than other add on's we used such as Unleashed which we found very slow. It addresses some of the weaknesses that unleashed has such as a logical process that tracks a shipment in each step of it's process. We have found the software support to be excellent and any adjustments that were required to improve the software have been made after an in depth discussion.

Tim Bloy  

I've had great experience with DEAR's support. They are moving ahead at a great pace, and adding a lot of features that benefit my food manufacturing business: batch/lot tracking, ingredients aging, product expiration. We are just getting up to 100% speed in DEAR, and I'm very happy with it.

FWIW, we are located in the US and working in DEAR is very snappy.

Ross Williams  

Tim and Ross -- are either of you using DEAR's support for serial # tracking? I run a cellphone trade-in company, and we need to track each item uniquely. Right now DEAR is the only inventory Add-On for Xero that supports this. I'd love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Brennan

Brennan Zelener  

Definitely an improvement on Unleashed as unleashed has to record and lock in the cost of goods on receipt and even though you may pay a different amount for those goods with forex etc , the value cannot be changed so actual cog figure is incorrect and therefore so is the GP .
Therefore also the inventory value in xero is different to unleashed value. DEAR solves that very nicely by recording the initial receipt at COG zero value and it is only finalised when you decide all costs are in and correct and then updates all previous sales invoices with the new cog so your GP is correct.

Tina Thorowgood  

Dear Inventory is new to us but was chosen because it could offer us more than any of the other inventory programs and is proving fantastic. Customer support is wonderful and each email we send is answered immediately making the change over in our programing systems fast and easy. Thanks Dear Inventory

Louise Pagnozzi  

DEAR Inventory was chosen by us for its ability to produce invoices with information that we required that Xero could not supply. We do not actually require the inventory management as we do not stock our product.

DEAR's most important features to us are multi-currency, Multi-user access, volume of information that can be added to each product and the ability to manipulate invoices to show the information that we require. Coming from MYOB, its taking a bit of time to get used to the new flow, but I am enjoying what the system can give us.

Support has been absolutely amazing, super quick to reply and even making changes to the system to make it more suitable for us!

Nicola Hajncl  

Wow - amazing solution - amazing support - fast - what more can I say.
Just moved from Unleashed and took a day to move everything over and could not be happier.

Keep up the good work!

Matthew Smith  

After reviewing multiple solutions DEAR was the easy winner. Their system is easy to use, fast and integrates well with Magento/Xero. What really sets DEAR apart is their customer service. We ran into a few issues (our fault) and their team worked with us until everything was resolved. Props to everyone at DEAR!

Bryan O'Malley  

I was looking for an inventory management solution that integrated with Xero. I tried every solution available and found them all frustrating for various reasons.

I am quite happy to have tried Dear. The simplicity, speed, and cost made it easy the and obvious choice. Other solutions charged too much money for very little value. I think you have found the right balance between features and price.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks

Timothy Christensen  

Easy and user Friendly !! very well designed inventory system , + Easy and Excellent integration with XERO without problems, tried few similar other softwares , this is the best out of all !!

DEAR's Customer SERVICE is Awesome !!
support team help me setup everything from the beginning, answer all my questions ! fixed up all my issues.

Thank you DEAR inventory Support Team

matthew tsai  

Dear inventory is a fantastic system that is ahead of many in its field, as other users have mentioned their support team are sensational!

As a clothing, footwear and accessory wholesaler/distributor, our main requirement is the ability to create multiple variations of the same SKU, a solution that few inventory management systems offer. We had been looking for a cloud based, SAAS (software as a service, pay monthly) system that offered this ability and integrated with Xero for the past four years however found nothing cost effective on the market. Dear's Product Family section allows you to do this quickly and their system doesn't fall over at 50,000 sku's like so many others.

I cannot recommend this system enough, especially to others in the clothing or footwear industry, who have the same requirements as ourselves. Great job Dear!

Hi Lior

Not sure how else to reply to your question other than editing my review... Yes, Dear has multiple suppliers per single SKU, with individual purchase prices so it sounds like this system would suit your distributors requirements.

Arnon Levy  

Hi Arnon - when you mean multiple variations of SKU's, is it possible to have the same product and product code but with different costs? I'm looking for a solution for a distributor who buys the same product but pays 2 different prices depending on who it is purchased from.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Lior

Lior Zehtser  

I am still learning the DEAR inventory system and have sort the help of the Support Team, who are great. During my frustrating times, they are really helpful with quick responses and have made changes that have helped me. The product integrates well Xero.

Dianne Law  

DEAR is an excellent program. It offers sophisticated inventory management in a user friendly package. Our transition was simple and it SEAMLESSLY integrates with Xero. Support is speedy and helpful, often they will make a quick minor change in the program to assist you.

As a food distribution company being able to set expiration dates is priceless. Purchasing is simplified by a Reorder list on the home dashboard. We sleep better at night now because we know exactly where we stand with our perishable inventory and our other assets.

Rare Edibles  

We recently switched from Unleashed to DEAR Invetory as it has the ability for multiple COGS. We have found the software excellent and the customer service is one of the best, awesome product and service. Would highly recommend

Sinead Huggins  

Dear Inventory is a great cloud solution for inventory management. It's ease of use is what sets it apart from many of the other inventory platforms. In order to process inventory, Dear takes you through a series of tabs in sequential order so that no steps are missed. As an accountant, explaining inventory to someone with very little accounting background used to be a daunting task, however with Dear Inventory the entire process is simplified. At our firm ConnectCPA, we actually tested Dear Inventory for the first time as a result of reading through the reviews in the Xero Business Community thread. I am thankful that we did as it has been a great inventory solution for our clients and its intuitive user interface has allowed us to cut down our training time with clients considerably.

Mike Pinkus, CPA, CA
ConnectCPA, Chartered Accountants

Mike Pinkus  

Good product and absolutely amazing support! We did a detailed survey and trial of Tradegecko, Unleashed and Dear Inventory before designing our new Accounting/Inventory/Website. We eventually settled on Xero/Dear/Magento(CE) as the ideal setup. We went live last Monday after 4 months spent testing, transferring old accounting records, stock taking and copying across customer and product records. Inevitably there were teething problems and the Dear Support team have been tremendous: they helped with shaking out the last bugs from the Dear/Magento integration, they added new merge fields to enable us make our shipping labels compliant with Royal Mail (and updated their documentation immediately, which in my 30 years of experience in the industry is a first), they added a new feature to the Magento integration which now works like a charm... all in the space of 3 days this week. I've never come across support like it.

Nigel Titley  

Hi Nigel - what about Dear Inventory did you prefer over Tradegecko?

Emma Allison  

So far I generally like the platform. It does have several rough edges still - especially tying into Xero. Overall I would recommend.

We transitioned from QB Enterprise to Xero & DI. The product that we sell manufactured in FDA traceable lots, and has an expiration dates. The startup of the system takes some time, especially with lot tracking enabled. The previous methods our team used for tracking inventory was pretty loose (not in a good way). Fully implementing the DI system took about 30 hours upfront, but is now paying off with better control of stock.

The system does have an issue with maintaining a connection with Xero, for whatever reason. I have to login in about one or twice a week to re-establish the authorized connection between the two systems. There is no real indication of what, if anything, is triggering this issue.

Other issues that could be addressed:
1. Cost per unit of more than two decimal points - this may be a limitation from Xero, but we have products that may be sold in fractions of a cent.
2. Automatic conversation of units of measure - I think this is on the development radar, but I am uncertain. An example would be taking one box of candy bars, and dividing cost & quantity to sell individual candy bars.
3. Handling zero cost inventory - can't do it on an ongoing basis.
4. A bit spendy if limited number of users, less so if you have lots of users and/or locations.

Dean Wilson