Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Help Center

Xero Business Community

Community > Add-on Reviews >

Started by Xero API -   in Add-on Reviews |Payroll + HR

4.6 out of 5 stars
Based on 38 user ratings
If you are a user of Xero and Deputy, tell us how you are getting on and your experience so far. Any tips?

About Deputy

Brings together people and workplaces in real time with unified scheduling, tasking, attendance, business procedures & Xero payroll integration. For more information, check out Deputy.

Remember if you have questions or need assistance with Deputy, this is not the best place to ask - this forum is for reviews and feedback only.

For general support, check out the Deputy support center or this page for information on connecting Deputy to Xero.

I'd like to say what a relief deputy is and how capable dedicated and proficient a particular operator is , you know who you are Mr A. thank you for your time support and dedication they have been a great help
Tux Akindoyeni Crossguard Group

Tux Akindoyeni  

Deputy has made our rostering, timesheet and payroll systems not only more effecient but has also reduced the amount of mindfulness required to achieve a good result. A big part of this is the easy to use and very functional integration with Xero. Thanks Deputy :-)

Joshua Cuneo  

The trouble I am having is when you have multiple location Xero and Deputy isn't capable of handling more than 2 locations at one time. Can this be fixed?

I also have some issue previously with payrate not syncing with each other ... solutions? I don't know...

Otherwise ... deputy has been wonderful .. :)

Erwin Tanaja  

Has made collecting time sheets simpler, but some features that need work/development
- leave - employees need to be able to enter days as leave days with an approval proceed that is after the event (not before - in the real world people don't always document/ record leave approvals formally before the leave is taken, particularly for sick/personal leave)
- time in lieu - no effective process for recording time in lieu accrual rather than paying overtime
- administrator is not necessarily an employee, may be an advisor, so we don't want to set them up in xero as an employee
- award interpretations, need better/more detailed system for interpreting overtime provisions, overtime or other activity allowances, ability to add or reallocate items where employees are temporarily working in a different role

25/06/15 - have just checked out deputy again, looks like moving in the right direction, although still not across all mobile phone platforms (necessary with a mobile workforce) - looks like the award interpretation process has been tightened up to. Nice to have an organisation being responsive to real world users...

Libby Skipworth  

What was a four hour per week manual entry nightmare is now a 4 minute, full integrated dream. The cost of Deputy is negligible in comparison with the time saved and the increased accuracy that comes from having data imported verbatim.
The best, greatest time saving app we run in conjunction with Xero.
Also, the CEOs videos on the website are probably the greatest intro to a piece of software of all time. Awesome to see a forward thinking company that does things with a sense of humour.
We've recommended the system and the integration to every hospitality operator we know.

Dave Kerr  

Deputy's integration with Xero enabled a major shift in my business. I am now able to manage my own payroll, save time through elimination of duplicate data entry of employee timesheets and improved accuracy.

I would recommend the Deputy <--->Xero integration for any small business looking for efficiency and ease of doing business.

Gena Karpf
SWEETNESS The Patisserie

Gena Karpf  

Deputy has given us the ability to focus on our key strengths - our high quality care and responsiveness to our client's needs - knowing that the 'back end' and detail is taken care of in a way we are thrilled with.

The Deputy/Xero integration has saved us huge amounts of time and money and we couldn't be happier, as we continue to refine the way the two systems 'speak' to each other.

Deputy is an amazing product with fabulous and responsive support. They have been working with us to enable the integration with Xero to work seamlessly.

Alexandra Conroy
Reliant Healthcare

Alexandra Conroy  

Hi - the integration has been great and saves a lot of time.
Improvements could be made around overtime provisions. I have to manually go into the Xero timesheet and change an employees time sheet to reflect overtime worked.
It would also be good to integrate leave taken with the Xero records. At the moment I have to go into Xero and manually enter leave through the employees file

Dominic Osborne  

We have been using Deputy in conjunction with Xero from the 1st of July 2014. The support we have received from Deputy has been fantastic, they are there immediately and have been able to fix things in the background that might have taken us a good amount of time to do. Thank you Deputy team for your continued support great job.

Wendy Guest  

Deputy is awesome!!!!

Umesh Agarwal  

We use Deputy to run our 600 strong payroll and it's Xero integration works like clock work every time. Awesome product backed by a very passionate team...highly recommended!!!

Matthew Knee  

Great system, great service...

Pete Boyce  

Great System, Great Support, and Great Flexibility. The systems work exceptionally well together and have made a HUGE impact in making things SIMPLE for the various platform users at Greenwood.

Malcolm Honey  

Deputy has taken a painful chore of rostering, payroll & timesheets & have made it a pleasurable part of work duties & have helped reduce office time by a massive amount allowing me to do what i know best! Integration into Xero just sweetens the process & makes it a done deal for our company. Have recommended Deputy & Xero to so many people & most of them are or nearly converted!! THANK YOU!!!

Daniel Fean  

Don't know what I would do without Deputy. If it wasn't for this amazing tool my start-up would definitely not be running as smoothly as it is today. I have been running it from day one and am pleased with all that it has to offer, especially it's seamless integration with Xero and our Super have saved me countless hours!

We are a pedicab company doing things pretty differently. Deputy makes taking breaks and communication with our team while we are on the road effortless!

Thanks so much guys!!!

Daniels Langeberg  

No serious problems ever, and excellent support when we need to get coaching.

Jim Thompson  

Deputy certainly has helped our company in regards to our retail operations of store staff.
It is easy and quick to monitor what time staff check in store, without having to call up each morning to see if they have arrived, as we only have 1 staff working in the mornings.

The team communication board is great to use, and is effective in getting messages across to staff members instantly.

We have had some issues in regards to exporting our timesheets/actuals to Xero, and has been a process of having to unlink and reconnect the Deputy-Xero integration. Deputy know about this, and I'm assuming are working on it. We've had issues on the last 3 pay runs, but this week's went by with no issues.

Yellow Earth Australia

hi jake,
deputy and xero work beautifully together. its smooth and seamless.
and yes, it does save me plenty of time.

Adam Rasmussen  

I am not totally satisfied with it. I have spent over half an hour this morning chatting to someone about how It can be better for us, I am still waiting for him to get back to me.
We don't use it for rosters although I can see if we did it would be awesome. I'm finding though that by using deputy it is not saving me anytime. Most of our employees are full time and therefore do a standard of 38 hours a week give or take a few minutes here and there. I've found myself having to manually approve timesheets and having to click the round button everytime, sometimes this ends up more than 38 hours. I then have to adjust manually in xero. If overtime is worked, I then have to change all the times in xero to equal 38 hours and then write down the extra hours and then put in into the time in lieu leave section. As you can see at the moment it isn't saving me much time at all. I am hoping that deputy will get back to me with some ideas on how to get around this.

Jane Stubbs  

Deputy's integration with Xero is fantastic. I have been using Deputy for some time now and really appreciate the time that it has saved me me. I have mounted an iPad on the office wall for my staff to clock in and out. My payroll has never been so accurate.

Well done guys.

Michael Fletcher  

Like many others, this software has been a great relief. I no longer have to use an excel sheet or keep track of my employees. I just overview and approve the hours, export them to xero, and then payroll is done in minutes. Obviously less work for me and my employees can get paid faster!

Kevin Arregoces  

deputy is a great solution thats solves the gap for the timesheet issues that xero has. their support is also fantastic. I got help on a sunday morning. This is when I usually do the pay runs.

Dilip Rao  

The amount of time I have saved by the integration of Xero and Deputy is unbelievable. I have had no issues with exporting and the support that I have received during my learning phase was helped tremendously by the staff at Deputy.

Carole Martin  

Anything that is automatically integrated with my accounting software, is easy to use and generally helps this healthcare provider focus on providing care rather than time spent on accounting is a major plus in my books.

Susan Pausin  

Deputy has been a huge time-saver for our business with its integration with Xero. Whilst it did take some time initially to set up the pay item coding, ultimately, it has shaved hours off our payroll process each week.

Tim Air  

I have several of my clients using Deputy and it is a huge asset! I really like the award pay rates deployment feature. My only issue is having to manually update pay rates in Xero when juniors have a birthday. It would be nice if this could be automated

Mary-Clare Switz  

Great integration makes DIY payroll much easier

Belinda Lai  

The best thing since sliced bread! Works perfectly for my business needs. About to implement the kiosk on an iPad soon which will make it even more useful. The only challenge I have is to make sure all staff signs on and off at all times, but that's not deputy's issue.

Benny Pettersson  

Thanks Ashiki

Cynthia Wu  

As a complete novice to payroll Deputy has been amazing. It just works and makes payroll as easy as can be.

Brady Haseler  

We used to use a timesheet application that was part of LightSpeed POS system that made our store manager go insane on a weekly basis. So I had to find a new solution and keep him sane. Deputy is so cool and easy to process timesheet and saves us at least 2 hours of week (+ some sanity). Great software.

Regards Jim

Jim Pandaz  

Very Happy with deputy, it's made rostering in our 3 stores so much easier. the integration with xero makes processing payroll a breeze. So glad we found out about deputy.

Mark Kostner  

Deputy has made scheduling staff so easy. In the old days a client would ask us "How much did we spend on wages?" Now, we can easily see "How much will we spend on wages?" As a manager of a business you can easily see who is at work and then run the payroll from Xero. It has saved time and money.

Martin Tunley  

Deputy has made staff Rostering soooooo easy. It marries so well with Xero. At the end of each week, in a few quick steps:
1. approve time sheets in Deputy (one click)
2. export time sheets from Deputy to Xero time sheets (for payroll) and invoices (two clicks)
3. approve time sheets in Xero (one click)
4. approve pun run in Xero (one click)
5. approve and email invoices from Xero, using email templates and contact details (two clicks)
6. duplicate this week's roster to next week (one click)

Wow! 8 clicks on a Friday afternoon and:
* my staff are ready for next week
* my staff are paid
* my clients are invoiced

Happy Happy Happy! :)

Lee Graydon  

Deputy makes it simpler to record staff hours, however in my business I need to be able to accrue Time in Lieu - this makes all the benefits void as I have to manually adjust all timesheets in xero :(

Jodi Homer  

Only new to using Deputy but so far, the export of timesheets entered by Staff to Xero has been seamless. Looking forward to seeing what else we can do.

Rowena Cairns  

I was hesitant at first to move across to deputy as I was using another time sheeting system but I decided to give it a trail, If anyone is going to complain its employees :-) and this is the first system they have used where they don't! We have been using it now for 6 months and I had a issue with the Sales budget feed, within minutes of logging my query I had Nahid reply through the app and within 24 hours he had implemented a fix for me. Training videos are great as well. Again its one that new employees can just understand as its simple to use.

Jonathan Grainger  

Its a dream. Integration is good, couple of issues that are mentioned below but I'm sure they will be solved soon. Multi outlet/ zero integration would be great addition.

Easy to use and excellent reporting.

Alister Dyson-Holland  

A terrific software when integrating with Xero. The help desk was excellent when I was having difficulties in setting up the system. It takes less than 3 minutes to do my pay run.

Extremely easy to use. I highly recommend Deputy to any Small/Medium Business Operators

Anthony Wong  

Deputy does some things really well but other things aren't nearly as easy as they could be.

Rostering is good if you have casual staff who work varying shifts and you're having to manually enter their rosters anyway - this is fine in Deputy. But if your team works fairly predictable, regular shifts, there is no way to create a 'recurring' roster or a 'roster template' which repeats indefinitely unless altered. In our case, we have to manually copy each week's roster even if it was the same as last week.

Timesheets in Deputy are great - staff can clock on & off using the iPad 'kiosk' which records start & finish times to the minute. Automatic rounding rules are powerful too. Timesheet export to Xero works well.

Processing leave applications for permanent staff is laborious & error-prone. Before you can approve leave you have to manually type the employee's usual start & finish times for every single day of the proposed leave period, by referring back to their normal roster which you have to have open in another window or tab. You also have to make a manual adjustment for unpaid meal breaks on each day of leave, because Deputy doesn't allow for this in calculating paid leave. So approving say a fortnight's annual leave application can take quite some time for an owner/supervisor, and is not just a matter of ticking a box.

Employees are unable to see their colleague's future approved leave applications meaning it's hard for them to plan their own holidays around co-workers. We have to manually print out a screenshot of the leave applications screen (accessible only to owner/supervisor) and pin it on the noticeboard so that staff can see when other staff have approved leave (so they know not to bother applying for leave at the same time).

Deputy has a messaging function for team communication but the mobile app doesn't seem to have the badge icon function (little red number on the iphone icon) so it's too easy for staff to miss a message. As a result, we have switched to using Facebook messaging for staff news etc.

Deputy's support is very good - fast, efficient responsive & friendly.

I'd say if you have a casual workforce with different shifts every week, clock-on & clock-off requirements, and no annual leave applications to process then Deputy would be awesome. But for a permanent workforce with regular predictable rosters and leave applications to process, things could be much easier than what they currently are.

Dom Willson  

The most efficient add ons for Xero amongst everything I got!!
Save us a lot of time. And not to mention the great service we get.
It is such a good one to recommend.

Yali Lu