Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Help Center

Xero Business Community

Community > Add-on Reviews >

Unleashed Software

Started by Xero API -   in Add-on Reviews |Inventory

4.2 out of 5 stars
Based on 83 user ratings
If you are a user of Xero and Unleashed, tell us how you are getting on and your experience so far. Any tips?

About Unleashed Software

Unleashed provides online inventory software integrated with Xero, allowing accurate costs, margins and stock control. Integration with Xero is seamless and easy. For more information, check out Unleashed.

Remember if you have questions or need assistance with Unleashed, this is not the best place to ask - this forum is for reviews and feedback only.

For general support, check out the Unleashed support centre or this page for information on connecting Unleashed to Xero.

Unleashed is our preferred application we recommend to clients in the manufacturing and distribution industries. Their release of new requested features is the fastest we have seen and they excel at looking after both their partners and customers.

Their software is abundant with excellent features that help businesses grow by streamlining their processes and giving them access to valauble reporting data for decision making.

If distributing or producing stock is your game, you need to be using Unleashed with Xero.

Will McTavish  

We've been using Unleashed now for three years and we love it. If you're looking for inventory management, stock control, reports etc and a clean integration with Xero, then Unleashed is for you.
What we like best is the responsiveness of the support team and the continual updates making the system better. Go Team Unleashed! No wonder you were voted Xero Add-on of the Year!

Danielle Butler  

We had a completely out of date system around 2 years ago which was holding us back and costing too much money to run and maintain. I was informed of XERO for the accounting side and got this up and running straight away.

After this we needed a full on inventory system that would operate with no problems and that could handle thousands of products/stock movements.

Unleashed stood out as THE add-on for us. After setting up (which was easy!) and integrating with XERO (even easier!) we soon found that Unleashed would be the key system to our business. Integrates into our online Magento store too!

If you have thousands of lines, multiple warehousing, mass stock movements and selling in multiple currencies then this is the add-on for you.

(check out the full list of features)

Wouldn't choose anything else!

Thanks Unleashed.

Simon Pashley  

One of my fav add-ons for Xero Unleashed certainly knows inventory. So easy to use yet so powerful with the reports and information you can get out. Unleashed really does take care of the entire inventory process with ease. Integration into Xero, GeoOP and Vend mean businesses who are both tiny and huge can run their entire businesses with ease using Unleashed. We love the real time margin reports and ability to really drill down into what's working for your business.

Steph Hinds  

We are finding stock management to be one of the most requested features for Xero add-ons. Unleashed is a comprehensive solution we specify for businesses of all sizes, most recently for a company with over a $1million in stock. But it works for the smaller businesses too.

It has the best product costing solution that we have worked with in a longtime. The ability for importers to do full foreign currency product costing within Unleashed is a great simplification for business owners.

Getting the set up right at the start is key for anyone. On several occasions we have had to delete an existing set up and start again. This is definitely not a DIY add-on. Get good advice, do your process mapping and make sure you have ongoing support to get the most out of Unleashed.

It is always great to see new enhancements and integrations on a regular basis.

Engine Room Chartered Accountants  

I have no hesitation in recommending Unleashed to anyone wanting to maintain accurate, real-time understanding of their inventory.

With the numerous excellent features this product offers, positive progress is inevitable.

Whether you are simply trading, tracking stock or manufacturing, Unleashed is the ultimate solution for your business.

Take the management of your business to another level when you integrate it with other add-on's like Vend and GeoOp.

There's beauty in simplicity. Unleashed makes managing inventory a beautiful experience.
And you couldn't ask for a better way to empower your staff by enabling them to access the right information at the right time.

Justin Walker  

Be careful before going with Unleashed.
When compared with Xero, Google Apps for Business or Insightly it is slow. Unleashed promises improvements, but in 12 months they do not appear to have ever been significant.

Again when comparing to other Cloud Based applications they are not very responsive to contact or issues.

I agree with the Engine Rooms comments, "this is definitely not a DIY product".

Unleashed does have some nice features, make sure it will fit and understand the implications before committing to it.

Geoff Letcher  

I have a client who will probably want to interface Unleashed via his Magento site and Xero.

Many months ago I did trial Unleashed for my client and found issues with correctly integrating multiple Sales (general ledger) accounts with Unleashed. At that time Unleashed assured me this was possible. In general the set-up certainly was not straight forward, and certainly not DIY. Unleashed were very helpful, albeit, given the time difference with the UK I recall working many unsociable hours.

However, I am concerned to learn of Unleashed running slow.

Since originally posting I have had a response from Unleashed:

Currently you can only have one store front or sales integration – this may be changed in future but I haven’t got any information at this stage.

We have had a few speed issues lately that are mostly resolved, they are generally a result of bugs in the system etc. but some UK/USA customers have advised that the speed is not optimal – this is due to our servers being in New Zealand. However, we in the process of moving our servers to Rack Space and CDN networks which should have a huge improvement on speed, especially for Northern Hemisphere customers so stay posted for more information on this.

John Cotter

Yes Accounting Limited

John Cotter  

I'm a manufacturer and I've tried Unleashed fairly thoroughly on two occasions. On the first attempt the biggest problem was it does not support case conversions i.e. Unleashed cannot calculate that 1 case = X number of units, that is all calculations are set on a base of 1 unit and driven upwards from there. Thus, if you're selling something in ounces but are buying raw materials in 55 gallon drums all measurements are in ounces including your POs for 55 gallon drums. I think it's fair to say this is annoying and really means this isn't a full manufacturing / raw materials inventory software.

On the second attempt at using Unleashed I swallowed the inability to track my raw materials and hoped it would do the rest of the job with aplomb. For the most part it worked great with finished goods until I tried integrating it with my 3PL. If you sell more than a dozen things a day then Unleashed is likely not for you. It does not support any API integrations with 3PLs nor does it even have the capability to export or import the necessary .csv files between yourself and a 3PL. Thus all orders and shipments have to manually entered. Again, a very surprising deficiency for what seems to be a smart software.

What's remarkable is Xero + Unleashed would have Quickbooks + Fishbowl and numerous other softwares licked if they just sorted out these two glaring and somewhat fundamental problems.

According Unleashed's CEO, by way of a conversation with my Xero accountant, none of these issues merit fixing so chances are this will be a half-baked "manufacturing inventory" system for some time yet.

Over all their support was friendly but only available during New Zealand business hours. And much of what's in the support pages is dated.

To see the support pages on case conversions:

Peter Smith  

Slow software, full of bugs that never get fixed properly. Vague passing the buck support and so so so slow.

I moved from Unleashed to Dear - so much better and support that care

Matthew Smith  

Unleashed is S-L-O-W!!! So S-L-O-W that it makes it hard to really assess functionality. I think if it was faster then the architecture would make more sense but just the process of watching and waiting for the database to clunk over while making small talk with your customer who just wants a timely answer is pretty frustrating. Also, back-ordering isn't available in any meaningful way. Unleashed seem to be blithely unaware that more than a good disposition is necessary when dealing with businesses trying to manage/implement key parts of their business. Would be really good to know what's happening with the speed issue as this is the elephant in the room yet Unleashed hasn't sent us an email or any kind of broadcast that I'm aware of ... Also, we tried to integrate with Shopify and Vend. When we signed up we were told this would work but it doesn't: resulted in complete corruption of products across the Vend and Shopify platforms. This is a shame as would be a very compelling offering if all three integrated, along with Xero. Unleashed documentation is not the best either. My overall impression of Unleashed is they are primarily marketers who've employed developers rather than the other way around. Metrics seem wrong.

James Kirton  

Very good communication but unfortunately system couldn't produce labels so unable to use.

Stuart Yarndley  

We have been using only parts of unleashed in the past but due to growth have encompassed it completely in the past two months. With the exceptional help I have received from my support person and a clearer understanding of the product I am confident the programme has been developed in such a logical manner that it will suit a small growing company for the near future and due to the constant upgrading perhaps longer than that.

Sally symes  

As a Premier Partner of Unleashed, Training and Beyond has implemented and trained a considerable amount of clients. Unleashed's perpetual stock inventory is invaluable for business that requires comprehensive stock movements and reports. The multi warehouses, foreign currency and now back orders enable our clients to have transparency and real time data interfaced seamlessly with Xero for their financials. We look forward to continuing to offer business's this fabulous tool and will enjoy future releases with even more functionality.

Melanie Morris  

We went to Unleashed after another system failed to meet our needs and so far they've been brilliant. It's a very easy to use system and the ability to record bins locations for picking with the number of SKUs we have has been critical to the smooth running of our business. The support during set up was excellent and all my questions were always answered and any issues fixed promptly.

Kathryn Gardner  

We recently acquired a small importing and manufacturing business. It was an old and very tired business without much in the way of IT infrastructure. The only near accurate record of stock levels was in the previous owners head.

On the Sunday prior to settlement, we set up the business financial accounts on Xero and the inventory in Unleashed. We imported the product list, stock values, customer lists and supplier lists into Unleashed. Because they talk to one another so seamlessly, I had to do this exercise once only and I could do it from the loungeroom at home at a time that suited me.

When we walked in on Monday morning, we needed a system that could process orders from the three hundred customers and manage the circa 30,000 items in inventory across 350 product lines(SKUs).

Within 20 minutes of arrival we processed our first order. The customer details were on the screen, the products were picked from a list, the invoice and packing slips were printed for us and the warehouse started packing. Most importantly, the person adding products to the order didn’t need to understand the accounting transactions underneath. Unleashed tells Xero what has been sold (or purchased) and Xero handles both the revenue transaction and the changes on the balance sheet.

Now we process the average order in one or two minutes and have complete confidence that our financial records are updated in realtime. I’ve seen this level of capability in a large business running SAP after millions in upfront investment and large teams of staff to support it. Never thought it would be possible for an average SME.

Malcolm Campbell  

Great experience with the support team after a minor issue with signing up some new clients. They were quick, onto it and my problem was solved in no time flat. Thanks guys!

Amy Holdsworth  

Definitely a 5 star from me. I had some major integration issues, complicated by my customised website. What I can say is that Unleashed were more than helpful in resolving this for me. Credit also to Zeald for coming to the party with writing code for this integration! For the Unleashed side, I had one person contact me constantly, who had a great working knowledge, and actually understood what my "non-web-tech" brain wanted to achieve.

Very happy customer!

Thanks to you all.

Rob Holah
Industrial Athletic

Rob Holah  

5 stars from me. Fantastic communication when help is required.

thanks, Rowena

ACME Batteries  

Very good support. Love the fact, they have a phone number to call them for support. Unleashed is great for small to medium sized stock handling. Looking forward to future add-ons that will give us more power in reporting.

San Lee  

We have been working with Unleashed for a number of years. As a cloud based stock management system Unleashed continues to be a good choice that meets our clients growing business needs.

Penny Anderson  

Friendly customer support team. Excellent!

Xiaoning Dong  

We have now rolled out Unleashed to four subsidiaries across four countries. We will, in time, extend Unleashed elsewhere too. This is because Unleashed gives us big business ERP capability at a SME price-point. We are now able to do all sorts of cool things including EDI, e-commerce and field sales in an agile and scalable manner. Furthermore, the reporting - in particular margin reporting - gives us invaluable business intelligence into customer and product trends. However, the best word to describe Unleashed is "responsive": the customer support is ridiculously fast to try to help in the unlikely event we have an issue and, unlike some other app vendors in the Xero ecosystem, Unleashed works really hard to improve functionality in a way that is meaningful for us (by that I mean not merely tinkering around the edges of UX and instead making changes that result in improved business efficiency). Of course, not everyone will be satisfied at the pace at which they are improving, but if you're putting your business onto a SaaS platform, you want to be with people who are committed to listening to their customers and improving their platform. Unleashed are definitely 5 stars in that regard in our opinion.

Shiv Narayan  

For Unleashed we will definitely give 5 stars, your service & support is remarkable. "Unleashed is fantastic!"

Salesh Narayan  

Great product, thanks Unleashed

Maia Royal  

I have dealt with multiple customer service reps, visited alot of the help forums and watched many of the help tutorials while transitioning to unleashed software. This had made the move to Unleashed seemless! I would like to pass on a big thanks to your team for the hard work put into this fantastic business tool.

Ryan Steven  

Excellent for serious stock management. Multiwarehouse and pushing to xero is great. Had great integration help from Jeri Murphy which helped. http://jerimurphy.com/unleashed/

jim test sales  

The help I have received being completely new to unleashed has been amazing.
Thanks for your help in helping us move forward % starts to Ben and unleashed

Anita Vickery  

Customer support has resolved all issues i have had with them

Philip Root  

Unleashed on the surface seemed like a fanastic complement to the Xero accounting system and we anxiously anticipated the updates they assured us were in the works.

Unfortunately the backordering update failed to allow for partial invoicing of orders which makes the update itself fairly useless, no-one in their right mind sends stock out to a customer without invoicing them for the goods. There is a work-around in splitting the order and creating a seperate backorder but this does not show on the customers invoices or paperwork and makes it hard to track from a user perspective also. Have been getting told by support since the shipping update came out that this will be fixed but it still looks like it is months away.

I find unleashed like to try and release numerous fairly insignificant updates to try and look like they are constantly improving without any real improvements of substance. Support has not been too bad but the system is definitely slow.

We are currently looking for alternative options.

Kellie Appleyard  

We are looking for a package for a clothing web-retailer.
Does the variant data come through to Xero in a form to be able to report on Products and product Groups, as well as product variants.

Peter Graham  

we were experiencing server and software issues with our previous accounting system so decided to look at a Cloud-based system for our inventory-heavy distribution business. Enter Unleased! I contacted an Unleased consultant - Will McTavish of Link Solutions, who took plenty of time to talk me through the integration of our business to Unleased and Xero. Through our accountants, our business was already on Xero so Unleased would be the natural add-on.

We have been pleasantly surprised at the ease of operation of Unleased and our calls to Will have dropped to nothing. I am impressed at the quick reactions to the Unleased Team when ever problems arise so we have few complaints these days.

Regular updates are a welcome although there are still a few more I would like to see in the near future perhaps.

chris wong  

Great to commence getting personal assistance from the Unleashed Team with issues and actually talk with someone
this makes the management and time of any issues alot easier for me when in the coalface

Mason Fisher  

We recently have just swapped to Unleashed Inventory Add on as the inbuilt Xero functionality is lacking for what our manufacturing business required. The Unleashed support team have been fantastic in guiding us through the process and how it will integrate for us in our situation. technical support has also been very timely during our swap over period when we ran into things we were not sure how to complete!

Kurt Miglas  

We have worked with Unleashed and a few of our clients at Cloud Accountants now and we find the system very good to use. The most important thing for us though is that the Unleashed team are available both online and in person to help us work through any technical issues that we may have. Nice one guys!

Justin Keen  

We're about to sign up a second company to Unleashed as it works really well for our operations. Generally speaking we've had good responses to any issues or enhancements we've requested.

Becky Sangster  

Unleashed was recommended to our company by our accountant. Our business was growing rapidly and the inventory system we were using was slow and inaccurate. After making the move to Unleashed we now enjoy real time, accurate inventory. Unleashed is easy to use, and the integration with Xero makes it all seamless. Will and Raff from Link Solutions were invaluable through out the set up and training process.

Sarah Chisnall  

I have just started using Unleashed, and have never used a production program before. I decided to move our accounts to Xero and needed something better than my excel spreadsheets for inventory and inventory building.
Getting my head round some of the processes has been made so much easier with their excellent customer support. I cannot praise their support members highly enough. I have never had to wait more than about an hour and a half for email questions (even receiving an answer back at 7.30pm their time), and their phone support is excellent too.
Everything flows through to Xero automatically and so far so good.

Susan Buller  

Am pretty new to Unleashed but did find the integration with Xero to be simple and seamless. Will be working on the Magento integration this week which I imagine will prove a little harder, but I have been impressed to date with the level of help and support available from Unleashed - not something that a Xero user is accustomed to !!

Gill Doms  

We decided to run with Unleashed and Xero to support set up of our distribution in Australia. We've been impressed with the ease of set up and ease of use, which has been done with a few telephone calls and a bit of "in-house" systems knowledge. Training for staff was done on the fly but Unleashed seems very logical and easy to work through. We're about 2 months down the track operationally and it is working very well. Impressed with the reporting and visibility we're getting out of it. A few minor issues along the way but nothing major. Web-based systems - a new experience for us - we run a full ERP system at NZ parent but didn't need the complexity for a relatively small sales & distribution operation. From our perspective this experience has very much been a positive one. The combination of Unleashed and Xero is well worth consideration.

Murray McDonald  

We are new to Xero and Unleashed and have found both to be simple and user friendly. The customer service from Unleashed is excellent.

Peter de Gail  

Great support so far via webinar, videos and skype ... We are just getting set up on Unleashed. Will update once up and running. Thanks Ben and all.

Bonnie Marcello  

I am new to Unleashed but what a great experience, support from Unleashed has been great to date. Great integration, easy process.
I have been using Xero for a while in another business - Unleashed made it so much easier.

Pieter Meiring  

Awesome support - particularly from Ben. We love our interactions with Unleashed, Ben makes problem-solving fun and easy. We get fast and valuable support just by picking up the phone resulting in quick, lasting solutions - just what every business needs. :)

Steven Boyd  

Unleashed is something that is worth every dollar! Finally found a software that is comprehensive, detailed yet user friendly. Wish I had discovered it much sooner. Customer service is excellent as well!

Tina Lagdameo  

Early days for our company but so far no disappointments, the Unleashed team have been attentive and supportive. Looking forward to using the software to it's full potential.

john hannah  

I have been using Xero and unleashed for 6 weeks now and we are loving the potential of this combination.
The implementation process needs better explanation, but once understood it works very well.
The support team are very quick and interested, They sometimes however give you a stock answer without actually reading about the problem.
I would recommend this software to any business, Talk to someone else who has already implemented unleashed and I do not mean an accountant.
Talk to the staff on the front line.

John Carroll  

We have implemented Unleashed for 20+ businesses and found the program meets the needs of most SMEs needing an inventory solution. For businesses where it does meet their needs, it is a very easy to use and very reliable solution, with lots of great features.

Yes, there are gaps in the functionality (such as invoicing of partially shipped orders, which is at last due for release in the next couple of weeks), just as there are gaps in any app. It is important that any prospective user reviews the system before implementing it. No two solutions have the same range of features, just as no two businesses have the same range of needs.

Having reviewed a number of other inventory add ons for Xero we are confident that Unleashed represents the best available solution for most prospective users who approach us.

Rhys Roberts  

I've recently changed companies and moved from a inventory system that was incredibly sophisticated but slow and limiting.
Moving to Unleashed with our Consumer Electronics distribution business has been great. With access anywhere and anytime and I have been surprised at how intuitive and flexible it has been. Of course there were some minor teething problems (use the right browser!) along the way - and I am still discovering aspects of how much I can do.
A key component has been the support offered, which was, in short, excellent (Hi Ben!).
The support quality was well out of proportion to the modest cost to use the software - and much appreciated.
Great software, great team and I'm in for the long-haul, I will look forward to see how Unleashed evolves over the coming months and years.
I am sure that there are other Xero partner products out there, but if you are looking for quality inventory management with excellent support I'd be comfortable in saying 'look no further'.

Carey Dixon  

If you are looking for the ultimate mobile office Unleashed is great add on for any sales driven business. My team can check there availability anywhere, process orders, check customers accounts even send the invoice direct to the customer. We have streamlines business so much i am spending more time looking for new clients instead on sitting in an office balancing books and completing paperwork. i don't know what took me so long to change to something different.

Ben Deguara  

Great way to simplify accounting and inventory and keep track of everything.
Ben, our customer service contact, is awesome and very helpful too!

Vaishali Thirwani  

We are a small mobile business and unleashed has been an amazing platform to manage our stock control from two different warehouses in different parts of the country since 2010. From managing importing to landed costs to sales and balance of stock it works seamlessly. And the timeless link with Xero has been an integral part of our system in terms of managing the income and expenditure for cost of sales etc. More recently VEND has added to this cloud system of managing our direct sales which links with Unleashed for stock control and Xero for income.

Dawn MacLean  

We are a sales and distribution company - We needed to change our operating system to cloud based ,electing to go with Unleashed has proven to be a great decision. We did have some trouble in the set up, but quick responses from the support team had us running smoothly. We are finding the system comprehensive, and user friendly. One month in we are looking forward to being able to use it to its full capacity.

Carole Mitchell  

I've only been using unleashed for a few months but the one on one support is fantastic. I've been dealing with a girl called Em and she is amazing!! would highly reccomend

Carla Carroll  

Well! we had a networking issue this morning that caused a serious disruption to our order processing. This was absolutely nothing to do with Unleashed but everything to do with the poor management of our local ISP.
However, the Unleashed friendly support team fronted by Sianne Hussey took ownership of the problem and carried out a thorough investigation and kept me informed of progress. I now have even greater confidence in Unleashed Software combined with Xero as a safe and secure platform upon which we run our business. Thank you Unleashed.

Doug Clark  

As a new company employee which uses UNLEASHED I found this software incredibly easy to learn, understand and work with. I'm not that tech savvy but this program I understand no problems at all, the support from unleashed is second to none, they offer assistance for any issue or learning curve I come across, they are prompt and understanding to my needs, and openly encourage me to ask questions and raise any concerns I might have.

Thanks Unleashed.

Christopher White  

After some initial glitches with Unleashed mainly due to user errors the client is now managing the process well. We have some exceptional support in recent months with the Unleashed team making every effort to assist the client to come to grips with what they need to do to make the system work efficiently. Ben Berry-Smith has been outstanding in his support and addressing our concerns.

Ashton Wheelans Limited  

Unleashed is a fantastic operation, not only the add on itself but the support that is provided. I was concerned at the start (mainly due to the price) that the support levels would not be there. I have been proven very wrong. As a case example, my company had an issue with Unleashed occur on Friday afternoon, by start of business on Monday it has been basically fixed with many emails being sent around over the weekend to resolve. Don't get me wrong, there are niggles, but the effort that the staff at Unleashed go to help and fix is second to none. Ben and the team from CEO down are clearly partnership focused, and not just customer focused.

Chris Williams  

Unleashed is a tool everyone tracking stock should be using. We find it an excellent tool for tracking sales but also find the reporting capabilities are second to none. The ability to really refine your search in terms of reporting makes for precise reading and allows us to look at our business under a microscope.

The user experience is very clean and tidy and makes teaching new users simple and easy. With the added bonus of them not having to learn a new language.

The team at Unleashed is all great and helpful. They are ready to listen to any issue and really understand that they are selling a service and not just a product.

We will continue to use Unleashed into the future.

Dan Plested  

Unleashed Inventory control integration with Xero is fantastic and seamless.
The software removes the guess work in tracking inventory and orders.
Fantastic customer support from Ben, highly recommended.
Will give it five starts when the package allows me too automatically partial ship and invoice order.
For now there is a work around which is time consuming.

David Fisher  

We work exclusively with iPads on the road, and unleashed reduces our paperwork fourfold. Wouldn't be in business without it. Very responsive service/ support especially in the early days.

David Johnston  

"Unleashed has a great layout and easy interface. The features are plenty and great integration with Xero and Geoop. Stock control is now easy and the custom documents intuitive to create making our documents unique to our business. Support is fast friendly and effective. Unleashed avoids inventory errors and saves me a lot of time - well worth the investment! "

Mike Chilton  

5 stars from me. Good services and we're happy with it. Thanks Guys

Amy Yu  

We made the move to Unleashed this year for our inventory management and have been very pleased with the support when we have had to ask questions. The integration with Xero is really quick which makes it easy to use. I especially like how cloud based systems such as these allow us to use any computer as a makeshift workstation.

Luke FK  

UPDATE 3 March 2015

We've wasted hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars of subscriptions and development time. We’ve had enough and are leaving this silly creation of mad Australians (or wherever they come from).

The best thing about this software is that it rests on spreadsheets/ API and that it's accurate. Apart from that it’s slow & clunky- poor UI design, extremely counterintuitive. Adding basic features takes them years (very slow development- you wouldn’t even be allowed to call it “development” in some states). The single feature they added since aug-2014 is... are you ready? The feature is… wait for it... ladies and gentlemen, this long awaited and amazing feature is: sales/purchase order exchange rate export to xero! There you have it, rejoice pheasants- another feature of this magnitude won’t arrive for another 6 months!

The support was good once- the guys who knew their stuff have left and keep leaving- the new guys are not even aware which buttons show on the user side vs their side and keep telling you to press buttons you cannot see (sic!), not to mention the formatting of their support emails, a disaster you’ll be calling meetings to decipher.

What else is there ah yes: you cannot filter (xero sync) sales/purchase orders based on warehouse code/ location, can't perform simple tasks quickly, cant perform customers sync from xero (even manually pressing the freaking button wont save you- but hey there is some invisible button UNLEAbeliever can see i.e. customer service, and will kindly offer to click it for you).

If they cannot even integrate with xero properly (that is an app generating almost all their users) what can they do, really? Ask yourself that... They cannot even keep their basic documentation in order (you know what I'm talking about boys- field definition pdf's for import templates), and that's the kind of documentation the user uses more than any other- those documents are badly written, ambiguous, confusing and out of date.

There are operations you can perform in one place but not in another, there are always some obscure errors whatever you try to do... e.g. if you want to change the default supplier currency you can do it for some suppliers but not for others... no reason given, ever. They'd rather you spent ages figuring it out on your own than provide a simple pop-up... oh boy... Don't be fooled by the nice shiny red enterprise grade interface... It's hides a bigger mess than you can imagine.

Don't, just don't.

Marcin Lachner  

Customer support are friendly but they don't have the answers to technical questions.
About the software - it is easy to use, but definitely has its flaws. Most apparent is the sync issues which i've had since day 1 and no one has been able to resolve this. Forget this software if you need to integrate Magento with Unleashed and if you have skus tallying in the thousands and your stock levels frequently change. The sync between Magento and Unleashed can take hours upto a week and when you need peace of mind that your inventory is always up to date then this will not do it for you.

Several other issues including the inability to change SOH or delete skus make life difficult. There are workarounds, but this isn't ideal.

Overall the software is easy to use, but some easy solutions are just plain difficult to resolve but the biggest let down is certainly speed. The efficiency of a seamless system is lost when you wait for pages to load or try other ways to workaround a simple stock deletion.

Alex Hsu  

UNLEASED was an epic failure for our business, it missed the mark on so many basic integration issues. Product codes in UNLEASHED were not populated correctly to XERO resulting in massive data massaging for invoice (to allow tracking in xero). Having a single sales account and cost account did not work for our business. Support, well, this was very hit and miss, our success manager was moving on, so we got very below average help in this area . . .

GST was being calculated on full invoice value, not on discounted value, so the GST component on invoices was incorrect. Reading the blog, which I wish I had done earlier, these are all issues that have been around for some time with UNLEASHED and not resolved.

Stock count process was very clunky and not user friendly, with a number of input areas just not functioning as you would expect for a package which is about inventory, mouse click on one line and the field opens up 2 below where you want it, or just greys out . . .

Peter Murphy  

I love Unleashed it works so well with Xero. It is simple to integrate and the staff at Unleashed are grouse. It is great for warehousing and live stock, invoicing is simple, and importing and exporting is really good. The staff at Unleashed are very helpful and always available on the phone, with knowledgeable staff. Em Tantau is grouse, and one of the most helpful people at Unleashed. Her knowledge of Unleashed is terrific, always able to answer any question i have thrown at her.

Accounts Holgate Brewhouse  

Unleashed awesome programme, coupled together with xero you can't go wrong. Special mention to Em your the best thanks for the support over the last couple of months.

Derek Curd  

Hey guys, I've been using Unleashed for about two years and think its awesome. I can easily see our stock levels and see where stock has gone - a heap of info at my finger tips. Oh, and Em in the Unleashed Support Center absolutely rocks.....very friendly and helpful :-)

Ali Pottinger  

Unleashed and it's integratability to other great platforms such as Xero and now Neto makes it the number one choice for online inventory management. We've been using it for almost 2 years and the usability and Unleashed dev team making improvements only makes this software a better solution.
A special mention does have to go out to the Unleashed customer service team, they truly do put all other customer service departments to shame, they are always helpful and forever a pleasure to work with.

Ben Dawson  

What makes Unleashed powerful is the ability to add on the functionally you need for your business as you require it. It is like the xero of stock control. Used within its recommended workflows it can allow you to add retail, service and e-commerce onto the same stock system. Link this to Xero and you have a very powerful, cost effective system.

Michael Davis  

Not being able to handle serialized products is a major negative. Also it cannot handle multiple bin locations which is core to any Inventory solution.

Henk de Kock  

Problems syncing Unleashed, Xero and Lemonstand.
It's hard to believe that we are the only business with this problem and it appears there is a huge gap in the market for a solution that'll take data from an e-comm platform, correctly create new (retail) accounts form it in Unleashed, update stock and order values correctly and provide accounting info all in one. We're using Lemonstand (via OneSaas) for direct to consumer online transactions, Unleashed to generate trade orders and manage stock and Xero for the accounting side. Unleashed appears to sync perfectly with Unleashed but getting our retail web sales to sync with Unleashed simply won't work and we've tried everything we can think of with the various support teams.
Lemonstand will create a generic order in Unleashed but cannot designate the customer type - ie it's mixing retail customers with trade customers in Unleashed all of which need to be manually approved to complete each order and adjust stock.
If a web customer tries to order a second time on our Lemonstand platform, the order is rejected when it reaches Unleashed presumably as it's assuming it should create a new account each time.
The value total is not correct in Unleashed because of a difference in the number of decimal places allowable not being the same.
Unleashed seems fine for trade orders and stock management but as it's only part of our business we'd love an all in one solution that actually works. Does anyone use Unleashed successfully with any other e-comm platforms such as Magento?
I hear Xero are launching a stock management module - maybe that will help by taking one system (Unleashed) out of the equation if the functionality is sufficient in the new module?
Please does anyone have any hints or tips that we could try or know of a system that can cope with online retail orders, trade orders at various pricing levels and accounting function?

Ian Elliot  

Do not try and integrate Unleashed and Vend. Bugs all over the place...

We have been using Xero and Unleashed for a couple of years now but needed stronger retail store and POS functionality so we implemented Vend about 6 months ago.

Its been a disaster!!!

Unleashed is supposed to be the product master and it just never worked even close to properly. Product price changes, product name changes, product code changes and obsolete products - none of them updated in Vend. As a result the stores were selling the wrong goods at the wrong prices and has ruined our inventory management to the point we have to restock take everything. On top of that there are rounding issues, stock on hand issues, no support for refunds, transactions silently failing and not making it back to Unleashed or Xero. We have had to go back and manually reconcile over 600 transactions as we can't trust anything that comes out of Vend.

I spoke to Gareth who is the CEO of Unleashed and he insisted that the integration had been fully tested but this is plainly not the case. This has never been tested in the real world and I have received no notification that any of this issues have been resolved. I am not spending any more time or money bug testing their software.

Philip Bachler  

Really disappointed, especially with such high rating from users.

The process to go from quote to invoice (with Xero) has a huge number of steps and there is no video covering this. There are a few video's but these do not cover everything. Some points to note:

3 x the cost of Zero and no telephone support at all

No ability to delete or void an order

No ability to add the customers payment terms to a quote. This can only be done manually via a text box even given its a field in the customer.

Product development seems really slow. There are requests going back over a year for really basic items.

You cannot quote for anything that has not been created as a stock item first.
They have a weird item called average land costs witch they base their margins on. This means that your margins will be all over the place until you have ordered and invoiced the first quote or manually amend it via a complex upload.

Such a shame, it looks great, it's just not there yet and poor support (i'e no way to talk to anyone makes it even worse).

Matt Phillips  

Great software, especially for company who import thier products. Easy to use & integrate with Xero, Vend, & Magento. It has break down price option that is an asset for this software.
In last 3 years that I am working with them, they improved thier software. I recommend it for everyone.

farzan samsamy  

Disappointed with Unleashed. There is no ability to change the big long sales order number that is totally unnecessary. The stock count couldn't be backdated. i.e. we loaded the count on Jan 5th and it posted it Jan 5th instead of Dec 31st. The multi-currency doesn't work with Xero and I can't get the stock on hand report to balance to Xero.

Anyone thinking of using unleashed should use another software instead.

Tom Allison  

Been using Unleashed for a bit over a year.....but very disappointed with the incredibly slow development process. There are issues and features that have been promised for years, which still have not been carried out. Seemingly simple features like GST inclusive pricing is still not available. Integration with Vend is complicated and unreliable. Have now moved to Cin7, which offer all the features that I require - excellent customisation support, all the features that I expect, easy to use layout and built in POS system.

Sorry Unleashed....couldn't wait any longer for the features you have promised.

Janne Nilsson  

If you are used to the beauty of Xero and its flexibility get ready to be frustrated with Unleashed.

The software runs slow, it does not allow for easy mistake corrections and the company consistently over promises on what they have in the development pipeline.

Think twice before integrating it.

alejandro sanz  

Value for money, very good support, system up and running 99.8% of the time.

Andreas Berns  

Have just started to upload data into Unleashed & Xero. The two programs are not up and running as yet, but I just wanted to comment on "the support" so far.Unleashed appointed a "Customer Success Manager" for any help I might require during the implementation stage. All questions were answered quickly either by phone or email - always available. For a deeper understanding on my more complex topics e.g B.O.M's and assemblies, an online scope session was booked within a day.The support staff have been fantastic and hopefully I will return to update this review with even more positive comments once implementation is complete.

Jenny Anderson  

Hi Andy and Jenny,

Thanks so much for leaving reviews for us, it's always great to hear you're getting the support and implementation assistance you need! We always aim to provide excellent value for money and our Customer Success program is a big part of that. If you need anything at all, don't hesitate to reach out!

The Unleashed Team

Unleashed Team  

We have been using Unleashed / Xero / Magento now for a few years. Unleashed has some serious issues that are still not fixed (yet the Unleashed team will tell you differently). They have made promises to include the GST component into their orders / invoicing now since we started with them and nothing happens.
This is only one of a number of major downfalls with the system that really really limit it's potential to be a great inventory solution. They need to spend less time on making it look pretty, and make it actually work.
BE WARNED it is far from the perfect solution.

Reply from us to response below from Unleashed:
Same response every time. lets see some results. Please less "Moo" and more "Milk" Unleashed!

Paul Arnott  

Hi Paul,

Thanks for raising these concerns - it's important to us to acknowledge and respond to customer feedback. In reference to the GST issue - currently our system uses GST-exclusive pricing, and adds any taxes (as defined by the user and Xero) at the total of the invoice. GST-inclusive pricing, that includes the tax at the level of the product price, is a more advanced feature that our development team intends to release later in the year. It's part of a series of rolling updates to the way we incorporate taxes for a variety of countries and currencies. One reason this has taken some time is because our company has undergone some major restructuring for positive benefits, meaning we have been able to release dozens of major and minor product enhancements this year alone. GST-inclusive pricing has always been on our roadmap, but the foundations had to be laid to ensure it's a strong and flexible improvement.

We are about to release our new User Interface, which will make the software prettier, but also more functional, so navigation is simpler than ever. This update, while worked on in conjunction with the product development team, has primarily been constructed by our design team - updating the UI has not taken any time away from improving product features. It's also the stepping stone for future product enhancements, to improve the overall functionality of the software.

If you'd like to discuss your concerns further, please do email support@unleashedsoftware.com - a lot of the features we develop are done so by incorporating user feedback of what works and doesn't work, such as our recent release of Serial Number Tracking, one of our most requested features.

Thanks for your time,
The Unleashed Team

Unleashed Team  

Unleashed is a serious inventory management system. This will give you an excellent level of stock and inventory information.

It is not for the faint of heart, it is a proper database and will take a while to set up and use. However if you are manufacturing, have many stock lines, and/or many different warehouses this is a very nice piece of work.

John Whyte  

Hi John, thanks for posting a review!

Unleashed is an in-depth inventory management system, as you've said, and proper implementation can take a little time, but yields excellent results in terms of stock management and profit and loss monitoring. We like to put it this way - Xero has a 'light' inventory system as part of its package, and this is suitable for things like the service industry, such as restaurants who carry a small amount of stock they need to track. Unleashed is the right solution for any business that has more demanding inventory needs in product-based industries like manufacturing or eCommerce. This is where being able to track serial numbers, have stock in multiple warehouses and split shipments and invoices really becomes exceptionally useful.

Thanks for providing some feedback, it's always great to hear!
The Unleashed Team

Unleashed Team  

Im just evaluating Unleashed and so far it seems ok but does have some serious limitations.
1. Inability to add a sub-total line in a quote/invoice - This seems a basic need so I don't know why it can't do it
2. Templates are limited. Payment terms MUST be put on a quote. Why can't we customise the templates using all of the possible input boxes?
3. I can't seem to work out how to use the system for general PO's for items that aren't going onto saleable stocks. As part of our process controls, we raise PO's for all purchases. I don't always want things like stationary, coffee supplies etc going onto my inventory.

I'll stick with it for now but I would like to see it more customisable. Ive looked at the demo of the Cin7 system and that seems to do what I need but without a trial first, I'm hesitant about signing up.
I do like the serial number tracking in Unleashed and the ability to buy in one currency and sell in another. This was a key reason for giving it a go

David Townsend  

Hi David, thanks for posting a review!

I think some of these problems for you are solvable, so I'm going to address them in the order you listed them.

1. I've just had a look, and it appears the sub-total line appears as a default on quotes and invoices. If you have a custom invoice/quote, it could have been removed accidentally. To check or add it back in, within the document designer you can click on the tab that says Toolbox, then the category Other Data, and drag and drop the box that says Sub Total onto the document. This will drop two boxes - one is a label that just says 'Sub Total' that you can alter if you wish, and one is a databound field that will pull the sub total from a quote or invoice when the PDF is generated. You can position these two boxes as you like, and see how they look in the preview tab.

2. Payment terms not being available on a quote template is currently something our development team is working on. In the meantime if you list your payment terms in text under the Footer Details in Settings | Organisation | Company | Invoicing, you can drag and drop this component onto a sales quote template - in this manner you can include your payment details. The other option is to use a simple text box, found in the Toolbox tab of the document designer.

3. We have the ability to purchase Never Diminishing items in development at the moment - things you don't want going into your inventory but still purchase or pay for, like coffee. This is slated for release in the next couple of months. In the meantime, you can purchase the items as stock, and then use a stock adjustment to remove that stock from your system before it comes time to replace it - this way the purchases still go through to your accounting software, as well as the stock journal from the stock adjustment, and you have a clear trail of the purchase available for audit at a later date. Products can now have specific COGS accounts assigned to them too, so you can ensure your purchases are going to the right account in Xero automatically.

If you are having a problem that you are struggling with, I encourage you to email our support team at: support@unleashedsoftware.com

Mandy at Unleashed

Unleashed Team  

I am running a business that has a warehouse with the same inventory in 2 countries. I sell each the products out of each warehouse in their own currency and then have that money deposited into that country's bank account in the local currency. I know zero can handle the 2 bank accounts in different currencies, but can this package or any other handle the fact that the inventory in the 2 different warehouse is invoiced and tracked in a different currency? I only do about 150 transactions a month between the 2 warehouses and am looking for the least expensive solutions. Thanks.

Robert Ranger  

Hi Robert!

Unleashed is multi-currency in that it can work with transactions that occur in multiple currencies - so if you have one supplier operating in USD and one in AUD, your purchases with them can be made in their native currencies. However Unleashed only allows one base currency per account - so while you can make those purchases in USD and AUD, if your base currency is NZD, it will give an overhead view of all of your margins in NZD.

If you so choose, you can therefore run only USD transactions from one warehouse and only AUD transactions from another warehouse, and can even set different prices for different currencies on the product using Sell Price Tiers, so the correct currency sell price comes up for each customer. It's with the customer that the currency is set, so you can work with as many currencies as you like, but when viewing reports, Unleashed uses the currency exchange rate you've set to translate all of those multi-currency transactions back to your base currency, i.e. NZD, for ease of reference.

You can learn more about our multi-currency function on our Product Overview page, or contact our sales team to book a one-on-one with one of our Solution Architects, to get an in-depth view of how Unleashed's multi-currency functions might help your business: sales@unleashedsoftware.com

Mandy at Unleashed

Unleashed Team  

Went live 3 weeks ago, had various teething issues which have been superbly dealt with by Danielle in Support and her backup. She even called me in the evening twice from NZ (we are UK based) to give help and advice. Fast responses from support although often I needed to provide more info to get a solution. Changes still need to be made to the system it is a young product at the moment, but we feel the Xero and Unleashed combination will work very well for us long term, and we will grow and change together.

Frances Moss  

Hi Frances,

Good to hear you've had such helpful responses from our dedicated support team, and thank you for leaving a review! Unleashed is a growing product - but we're releasing more feature upgrades and product enhancements than ever, and rely on user feedback as to what improvements to the software are needed most.

We hope we can continue to hear from you and what your business needs are as we grow together :)

Mandy at Unleashed.

Unleashed Team  

On the surface Unleashed has good functionality, however sometimes functionality is not enough.

We've had ongoing issues with support not getting back to us without us following them up and we've been charged for 'premium' support which we feel didn't offer us any benefit.

We also have issues with foreign currency transactions - it's not possible to view a table of sales invoices and have the invoice total show in the invoiced currency unless it's your base currency.

Also just found out that a year of transactions have been posted to Xero with Xero and Unleashed using different exchange rates. I'm now not sure how to fix and not hearing back from support with what we should do.

I feel if the 'premium' support we've paid for was worth anything, we would have had Unleashed driving our implementation, keeping in contact with us, getting back to us when we had questions and making sure we pick up problems.

Very VERY disappointed.

Delaney Van Baalen  

Hi Delaney,

Thanks for posting your feedback. I've checked into your ticket history, and it seems that although most of these tickets were resolved in a timely fashion, unfortunately with your most recent ticket, the follow-up has been a little slow, due to multiple departments being involved to try and address your issue in the best way possible, so we apologise for that. As you do have our premium support package, you can also call us anytime - we're happy to help!

The base currency is shown for all pages except the transaction itself for ease of reporting - many companies purchase and sell to many different countries, so our reporting is shown in your base currency, using the exchange rates you set, so you can see the true financial data or your transactions, including profit margins, in your native currency.

Currently Unleashed will only use the exchange rates you set - when transactions are exported to Xero, Xero assumes control of the exchange rates using XE.com - this is not something we have control over, and you must override this by manually setting an exchange rate for a set time period in Xero. You can read more about this here: https://help.xero.com/au/CurrencySettings

I believe an Unleashed team member will be following up with you directly, but you are always welcome to call our support line or send an email to support@unleashedsoftware.com

Unleashed Team  

Our company has been on Unleashed for about 6 months now and it has done wonders for our inventory management. We have quite a complicated supply chain and other inventory management platforms have failed in terms of supporting our needs. I had started to accept that our business was too complicated and would not find a solution that fit all our needs, but Unleashed kept surprising me the more I started integrating with it. Above all, the reporting gives us data in a format that we can easily utilize and the transparency of our business has never been better. I cannot recommend this platform enough.

Mark Brunjes  

Hi Mark,

Thanks so much for the great feedback, it's always a pleasure to hear our software is the right solution for a business! The best part is, the longer you use Unleashed, the deeper and richer that reporting data will become!

Keep an eye on our blog for product feature updates that will continue to improve your Unleashed experience, and don't hesitate to email support@unleashedsoftware.com if you need anything in future.

Thank you!
Mandy at Unleashed

Unleashed Team  

We have been using Unleashed and Xero for the last year. Over that time I have had to contact Unleashed for customer support. They are exceptional and cannot do enough to help you. I highly recommend using Unleashed if not only for their support.

Hi Annmaree,

Thanks so much for the positive review! Our support team works really hard to help our customers in every way possible, so I'll be sure to pass your lovely feedback on.

Mandy at Unleashed

Unleashed Team  

We've been using Unleashed Software in my business for just over two years. Over the course of this time there have been many relevant updates to enhance the functionality. One of the more recent features offers batch tracking which will add a valuable new benefit to my snack food distribution business.
In fact we've been so impressed we've signed up our UK-based company with the Xero-Unleashed combination. Perfect for both countries where I can log on and navigate around both subscriptions with ease.
However the biggest rave I have for this company is their customer service which we have found to be exemplary. Hat off to Unleashed.

Hugh Cowan  

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for the great review! We are continually updating our software to provide relevant and functional enhancements, and it's fantastic to hear our recent release, batch number tracking, is working so well for you. Our customer engagement team also works hard to ensure we can help our customers in every way possible, so it's good to hear they've been helpful to your business.

Thank you again!
Mandy at Unleashed

Unleashed Team