Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > Feature Requests >
Vote

Account transactions report (new) continues to show old references after amendment

Started by Harry So in Feature Requests | Idea

We use references to facilitate matching and reconciliation. Often we have to amend references. But after amendments, the re-generated report still shows the old references (however, opening up the transaction will show the corrected version). This really defeat the purpose of correction if it is not shown on report. Any help?
Hi Harry
I'm not experiencing this so I suggest you contact support rather than requesting a system enhancement.
Good luck

Tony Finch

Chris from Xero has responded:
We're currently aware of an issue where the reference field isn't updating in the new Account Transactions report when a transaction's reference field has been edited. Our Product Team is currently investigating the issue, and we'll let you know as soon as there's any update.
In the meantime, please use the classic Account Transactions report as this displays the Reference correctly.
My reply to him:
Unfortunately the classic version has many shortcomings (probably why the new version was introduced). The 2 biggest limitations are its inability to group transactions by references and allows selection of only 1 account each time.

Harry So

Tony,
When you said you did not encounter this problem, were you using the new report or the old one which only allows you to select one account for details and is unable to display all transactions for the specified period with them grouped by references?

Harry So

Hi Harry
I'm using the new report and I can select more than 1 account
I know you can only select 1 account on the old version

It appears to me that there is a bug in xero that sometimes (but not always) doesn't refresh the data after you amend a reference
Give me a call 0417954748 if you want to discuss more

Tony Finch

Yes, I use the new report which is better than the old which Xero calls classic and that limits to 1 account and cannot group by reference. In Xero’s report section and hidden under Summary is a Detailed Account Transaction Report (but need to click show more to see it) which is similar to the new version and also allows user to select multiple accounts or group by reference. I have tried that and found it can solve half of my problem by showing the new references if the accounts are P&L type. But if the journal involves bank account as for income received, the bank account still shows the old reference while the income account shows new. Consequently, you could have debits not equal credits for certain references but overall they even out. I suspect it is some control features for fraud prevention which stop user from changing bank accounts. I am OK with that as there are other softwares like SUN for larger corporations which simply won't allow references be changed and must correct by another journal. What is not OK to me is Xero should simply disallow that totally if bank accounts are involved. At lease the users will then know it can't be done. But to accept the changes and then only update some but not banks in the same journal is just plain dumb.
Now I am aware of that report's limitations, I can work around that.
Thanks for your feedbacks.

Harry So