Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > Using Xero >

Non profit organisation reporting by contact groups

Started by Lesley Ferguson -   in Using Xero

We are a non profit organisation and receive regular donations. These are recorded as Money Received Transactions. We do not raise invoices and therefore do not have any Customers. I have set up each donor as a contact and grouped these into different categories depending on how they gift to us etc. I would like to run reports of income received by Contact Group. I don't think this is possible but am new to Xero. Can anyone help with this?
whoops
you need to set these up at tracking categories and NOT as contacts
Then, when you process the bank transactions, you select a tracking category
then you can run a P&L and select compare categories - bottom left on the first tab
Although its a bit of work, depending on how many you have already processed, you can go back and add a tracking category.
You also need to create a separate GL account for "how they gift to us" and then it will all work.
Reach out if you need anything else

Tony Finch  

Thanks for getting back to me Tony. I had started to use the tracking categories as I'd realised there was better reporting options on these. I've had to work my way through a few transactions I'd already reconciled. Its a shame its all quite manual. I am having to set up rules for each individual donor and apply the tracking category in the rule. It would be so helpful to be able to run reports on rules to check everything is as it should be. I

Lesley Ferguson  

you don't have to setup rules.
You can just do the coding.
Rules are useful if there is a way to automatically identify who the transaction is from ie they always put their name in the description and always format it the same way.

Tony Finch