Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Help Center

Xero Business Community

Community > App Reviews >

Shopify

Started by Xero API -   in App Reviews |eCommerce

2.8 out of 5 stars

Based on 43 user ratings
If you are a user of Xero and Shopify, tell us how you are getting on and your experience so far. Any tips?

About Shopify

Create a beautiful Shopify store and seamlessly connect your entire business to Xero for a single, real-time view of sales and business finances. For more information, check out Shopify.

Tip

Remember if you have questions or need assistance with Shopify, this is not the best place to ask - this forum is for reviews and feedback only.

For general support, check out the Shopify support centre or this page for information on connecting Shopify to Xero.

Hi all,

we are new to this Xero Shopify integration and we also have Stripe as payment service on Xero. Now it seems there are data from Shopify is coming to xero and also from stripe. Should we delete Shopify ? since the sales revenue is available from Stripe already? cause it is doubling up our figures just realised!

Thanks, please share your experience!

Urmi Ahmed  

We're using it at First Mats and it's great, really helps keep us moving forward and stops us from getting too bogged down in paperwork. We would like to see more control over what's imported as for some reason the Company Name of our customers is missing from invoices but apart from that it's great.

First Mats  

This integration could be better. Its flow is good but it has created a new vat code for us in Xero which is not good. We should be able to choose what vat code the orders sync up with. We have had to unfortunately uninstall the app.

Fabio Molle  

I have had experience with shopify web design and setup of stores with Xero and we find it helpful. I can also see that Xero are updating it and improving it. Not every integration will be perfect so sometimes we use other integration services like Zapier.

SCOTT DONALD  

There was no indication that there was a limit on how many transactions could be exported to Xero from Shopify. No way to upgrade or make it work either...who thought that this was a good idea? A fantastic way to ruin a business. One of my clients is now in panic mode thanks to this issue.

Dylan Urquhart  

We are a Sydney web design company and have not had great results from integrating Shopify into Xero. It doesn't quite work, there are data sync issues that spit out the need to make manual entries - this gets repetitive and isn't comforting. While the integration is better than nothing, it depends on how complicated your Shopify site is going to be and how many products you have. Don't rely on it for simplicity.

Small Business Web Designs  

Some comments on our experience:
1. Orders in Shopify get pushed to Xero sales invoices on a 1 for 1 basis. So if there are 10 Shopify orders there are 10 Xero sales invoices. We would prefer that the 10 Shopify orders were summed up and pushed to 1 Xero sales invoices - eg like Vend does.

2. Shopify payments - ie Shopify fees and adjustments are pushed to Xero thru the API as either Spend Money/Receive Money or as Manual Journals. You have to correctly specify the Xero bank account in the Shopify Payment account setting otherwise payments for fees and adjustments will be processed as manual journals.

3. Bank recs are more complex - bank rec should be bank = total sales +/- adjustments +/- fees. One issue is there 1 bank entry to many invoice amounts + fees and adjustments. If your accounts are not setup correctly in Shopify then the fees and adjustments will not be pushed to the Xero bank account and therefore you cannot reconcile the account.

So in summary the integration is ok, it works. The impact of various settings could be explained easier.

I would recommend testing all the transactions first (unlike us) to see where they appear in Xero so that there are no surprises at reconciliation time.

Chris Holly  

Hi
Can anyone offer any help with Shopify and Xero integration. ?

I have a new client who has set Shopify up to integrate , stripe and Xero.
However shopify creates lots of transactions into Xero on a daily basis , and a fee charge too, but they do not reconcile with the bank statement.

There is no reference on the statement line to reconcile with all the sales invoice created by Shopify ?

Daily hundreds of transaction automatically generated by Shopify into Xero !!

Has anyone any advice on how best to resolve this issue ?
Thanks
Tracey

Tracey Curtis  

When I first installed the Shopify / Xero integration I ran into a lot of issues around GST (I’m based in NZ) and both organisations were really unhelpful. Finally sorted it, however it cost me in accounting resources. I just introduced Shopify Payments (by Stripe) and again have run into some major issues. As I already use PayPal, it seems Xero cannot accept more than one online payment system (you can add in multiple bank accounts) and now up against a GST Return deadline I’ve found out the Shopify Payments / Xero / Shopify integration has caused double ups so my revenue is inflated. Again, now having to pay my accountant to sort out so I’m deleting the app and do not recommend it. Really disappointed in both Shopify and Xero - how hard is it to get your app working correctly. It has cost me time and money and I’ll have to go back to manually reconciling which is ridiculous. Also the service from Xero and Bold Commerce has been useless.

Alisa Higgins  

The integration seems to be working well for low volumes of data but I need to import all transactions from the beginning of the financial year. Is there a mass upload tool that maps in the same way as the integration?

All the best,

Ian

Ian Mallalue  

I've only started using it so first impressions are good. Integration went well. A few hickups when exporting to Xero, but the error messages were very useful to track down the problems. Exported all current sales, payments and invoices were created in Xero. Nice. Can't figure out how to reconcile with bank feed yet though, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Masoud Varjavandi  

My client uses Shopify for all of their sales and switched to Xero for seamless integration as we were not having much luck with their previous accounting system. Unfortunately it is not proving so seamless as there seems to be a limit on the number of transactions that can be exported in to Xero. Along with this there are always be a number of issues/failures in an export including not exporting some sales/refunds. Basically, what is meant to make the bookkeeping process much quicker is leaving us in the same situation we were in with the previous software which is manually entering all the sales/refunds. When there are hundreds of entries each week you can imagine that the client is not happy at all!

Laura Rudge  

The XERO app integrates reasonably well. However my accountant is having trouble matching the shopify payouts (containing multiple invoices) to the associated sales. He has to practically reverse engineer the orders we have to match them off with the shopify payout. Is there a way to automate this so that the payout reconciles with the associated invoices.

David Bennett  

Hey Karen, sorry to hear you're having issues here. Could you reach out to our support team at support@boldcommerce.com and we'll get you sorted out here? Don't want to discuss account-specific details over a public forum. :-)
-Aubrey from Bold

Bold Commerce  

Hey, I am having issues with mapping my tax codes from zero to link up - I am in NZ and all are filled in correctly but it keeps coming up with incorrect tax code! I have tried to find help but to no avail?! Please can someone help just can't figure it out!
Cheers

KAREN DENNIS  

Hey Marshall. Sorry to hear you were running into issues here. Can you reach out to our support team at support@boldcommerce.com if you're still experiencing this? We've fixed a bunch of export-related issues over the past few weeks.

-Aubrey
Bold Commerce

Bold Commerce  

Currently having a problem with exporting some orders from Shopify to Xero.
Some fail to export and the response is "There was an error. Retry or manually export the order." I have retried many times and nothing has happened.

1. I couldn't guess what the error is, it would be nice to be told what it is.
2. Entering the orders manually takes more time.
3. How can I be certain that I do not end up with a load of duplicates if it corrects itself?

I feel that in this day and age of advances in computer science, this is a little embarrassing.

Marshall Lee  

We have been using Shopify and Xero for almost a year now. We have just become VAT registered and I have struggled to find information on how to process this change in both in Xero and Shopify.
Additionally, I have just installed the Xero app for Shopify to allow automatic upload of orders into Xero.
I would highly recommend that both companies provide better documentation around these points. A technical manual for the Shopify integration would be useful along with a guide on how to move from unregistered to VAT registered. I find it especially surprising that Xero doesn't already provide this as it will be an issue for a large part of their audience.

Paul Mooney  

I am successful with receiving new orders but have recently encountered an issue that I think is a defect.

Usually by the 5th of the month, we close the prior financial period to new entries. If a customer requests a refund based on an original invoice in a prior period, the Shopify -> Xero integration appears to try to post the credit memo into the period of the original invoice. Please advise if there is a setting to control this.

If not, I believe it is a defect as financial adjustments should not be applied to prior periods; the refund should be posting to the current period.

Jon Meyer  

Hi there,
We are really struggling with the reconciliation process for credit card payments from Shopify. There seem to be no matching reference numbers, the customer details don't come through into Xero and the amounts don't match our invoices as fees have been deducted. This makes the reconciliation process very time consuming! Our number 1 reason to sign up for Xero was for us to speed up our reconciliation process. Please can you help? Thank you.

Helen Lambert  

Hi

The only issue I have is that I am B2B but when I export it creates a new customer using First Name and Last name, so I have to manually change this to the Company name.

Have I set some-thing up incorrectly ?

Charles

Charles Mitchell  

I have just set up xero/shopify for a client of mine and so far have come across 2 problems;

1. The discount amount is deducted 10% from it. For example 10% discount is recording as 9.18% and then the balance of the discount is being shown as 'rounding' throwing out our sales amount

2. Where a partial discount has been given we get an error stating that partial line item refunds are not currently supported. That is fine, we can enter them manually but the sync is creating an invoice for the original purchase (which is already in xero) so I have to go in and delete them out.

I'm hoping these are just settings issues but can't see in settings where they can be setup?

Ali Woolford  

HI,

I have created products (variants) in Shopify products. We are using Size and colour variants.
I first create products in Shopify as variants and then want to sync with Xero.

I have got following queries
1. If I create products in Shopify first (and tracked inventory with Shopify and also put in the stock quantity), how will it sync with Xero.
For me it is not syncing as i am getting below infolog in the App after the sync

The following was created in Xero:
0 Invoices
0 Credit notes
0 Contacts
0 Purchase payments
0 Refund payments
0 Items
0 Payouts

2. What is the best way to track inventory so that I do not have to duplicate my efforts of receiving my invenotry in Xero through approved bills and then updating the inventory back again in Shopify manually.

Thanks in advance for your support

KRITI JAIN  

Our Shopify online store sales are linking to Xero but none of our POS sales seem to be coming through using this app. Are POS sales not supported, is there something going wrong, or do we need to do something in the settings?

Robert Kyle  

This integration is in need of a quality review by Xero and redesign. I have random discounts being posted to sales invoices coming in from Shopify. In among correct mapping are sales that suddenly appear in Xero with very unusual discounts applied. I cant even see a pattern based on location of customer. I have switched off the integration and resorted to manual journals for weekly sales so that I know I am getting my VAT correct. This of course is not scalable. Very disappointing that Xero is unable to produce a robust integration which should be Simple. 3 fields to map!!

James Kyle  

Hi Jeremy,

It is possible to do so but it is not recommended. The reason being is that this app was built for a 1 Shopify store to 1 Xero org integration. Having multiple Shopify stores to 1 Xero org can lead into issues like duplicates of certain things on Xero due to the unique identifiers of objects there. This will cause complexity if you have to deal with handling this. Having a 1 to 1 integration will not run into this issue.

Jonathan Chang
Tier 3 Technical Support
Shopify

Jonathan Chang  

I would like to sync from multiple shopify stores into a single xero account, however it doesn't seem possible. When adding the xero app to a different store it will only allow me to use the same chart of accounts as the other store. Is there a way to make this work?

Jeremy Sundell  

Please sync shopify inventory to xero. Seems like a no-brainer and is making my life hell without it. Thanks!

Wendy Feller  

@Michael, can you let Shopify know? This page is just for the review of the integration so can't help much with troubleshooting!

Brittany H (Community Manager)  

We have just installed the Xero App and run a test import on a few sales to find that all the Inventory names, descriptions and prices in Xero are being modified by Shopify. As we run both retail and wholesale channels we need the Xero Inventory to remain as it is currently.

Is there a work around for this? I note a user had issues with this back in Dec 2015 though it appears to have note been fixed unless I am missing a setting?

Michael Jackett  

Hi Richard,

I will need to look more in depth at this, can you contact Shopify support and have them escalate to me (just mention my name and that I am in Tier 3) so that I can look into it?

Jonathan Chang
Tier 3 Technical Support
Shopify

Jonathan Chang  

Just added the Xero App to my Shopify site.

Shopify is not bringing up all of my accounts to link (so I cannot link the correct accounts for shipping or gift card account). I assume this is user error.

Help?

Thanks

Richard Norris  

Hi Mark,

I can take a look into this and see if I can resolve this issue for you. Can you contact Shopify support with your issue and tell them to escalate directly to me, Jonathan Chang in Tier 3 technical support?

Jonathan Chang
Tier 3 Technical Support
Shopify

Jonathan Chang  

I spent a long time looking to find which products would integrate for a an online shop and automated accounting before going with Shopify and Xero. I only have a small business so haven't really looked into how well the 2 products 'spoke' to each other until now, when I have to complete my return for HMRC! Oh dear.
I have come to do my reconciliations between what has been paid into my bank account (mainly manual deposits) and the orders received via Shopify and none of them seem to show up (except the first 2 orders). Really not sure if it is simply the way I have set it up or the products but considering the above discussions I am assuming it is the products.

Any help appreciated as I have a tight deadline.

Current rating is 2 stars I'm afraid. So much potential!!

Regards

Mark

Mark Rudge  

Hi Claire,

Let's address all the points that you brought up.

---
This is still occurring for me and means I have to update each invoice to correct customer without the -1. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
---

For Shopify to know which customer to associate order/invoice to, we would need to create the customer on Xero and then we store the one we create locally. This is how the app knows which customer to associate it to.

Since you already had the customers on Xero side, it creates it with a “-1” as the name has to be unique. I would recommend that you merge the customer account without the “-1” to the customer account with the “-1”. Afterwards you can then edit this customer and remove “-1” from the name as it would be unique now.

---
Also for some reason the invoice populates as INV Order OM1234 - I can't seem to find where to change this in Xero or Shopify. I just want an invoice number to be OM1234. Any ideas where this can be changed / stopped?
---

I took a look if there was a way to change this and there is no way to change this. This is what the app to sends to Xero as is unchangeable in this current version of the app.

---
Lastly when the invoice comes over from Shopify it auto-populates as being due the same day - is there a way of setting the invoice to be due 7 days later?
---

There is no way to setting the invoice to be due at a future date. The invoice that comes over from Shopify to Xero has to have a status of paid or fulfilled. This is the way the app currently works as that denotes that an order is complete. I will relay this feature request to our Xero App developer team so that they are aware of this feature request.

I hope this addresses all your inquiries. If you have anymore questions, please let me know.

Jonathan Chang
Tier 3 Technical Support
Shopify

Jonathan Chang  

Nearly loving the two together but for these little annoyances...
User Julia wrote above: An odd thing regarding customer names: when you first start the integration, it won't lookup and link new sales to existing customers. It'll re-create the customer with a "-1" at the end of the name... So now I have most of my existing customers duplicated. But once the customers are linked, it won't continue to duplicate. Just take note: This will create some cleanup work in the beginning.
This is still occurring for me and means I have to update each invoice to correct customer without the -1. Is there anything I can do to fix this?
Also for some reason the invoice populates as INV Order OM1234 - I can't seem to find where to change this in Xero or Shopify. I just want an invoice number to be OM1234. Any ideas where this can be changed / stopped? In Xero I have found where to stop the INV as a prefix and now have it blank but still it turns up. And no idea where the word Order comes from. And the prefix OM is set in Shopify with no INV or Order in front of it...that I can see / find.
Lastly when the invoice comes over from Shopify it auto-populates as being due the same day - is there a way of setting the invoice to be due 7 days later? Again I have the settings in Xero as default to 7 days. For understanding this further we have customers who are account holders so they don't pay via Shopify to order but they use Shopify to create the order.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Claire McAsh  

Hi Kristen,

Would you mind sending me an email with your store details so we can look into the error message re: Cost of Goods Sold account? Also, you are seeing this in the Shopify app for Xero or in the Shipstation app?

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the high five - appreciate it!

Hi Dimitrius,

I agree -- being punted between two support teams is not ideal, I apologize for that. Once we have a resolution for the rounding issue, we'll send you an email.

Thea @ Shopify  

We chose Xero because of its professed ability to integrate with Shipstation... sadly it's not been great for us.

We are getting errors on the import of many invoices and no amount of searching has turned up reasons for what is happening. Sometimes the invoices come over just fine, other times we get "Cost Of Goods Sold Account must be used with an Inventory Asset Account" and nothing we do will get it to import, so we have to key it in manually.

Additionally, there's no way to have it import invoices that are unpaid - this is the WHOLE reason we need the invoices to import. Customers with net terms pay via check. They check out with "check payment" and their order needs to be sent to xero in order to send them an invoice... but instead we have had to mark invoices paid in shipstation, let them import, then go into xero and delete the payment, then invoice. It is a pain in the ass and a waste of time.

Jenn Warhurst Stevens  

All things start with a beginning. We've been happy to just have the option to do this and not have to go outside to yet another service to get something done. We worked through their earlier issues and for what we do it gets the job done. Could their be deeper integration, reporting, etc. Sure. Does it save you a boatload of time and another nickle and time from a 3rd party service? Yea-yuh!

Andy Ciordia  

I run a UK-based furniture and lighting store with Shopify. Xero looked like a really good accounting system so I decided to give it a try. I was seduced by the instant and seamless integration but found that setting up the tax codes wasn't that easy (for a novice like myself) I contacted shopify, who advised me to speak to Xero, Xero said I should speak to Shopify as there was an issue with the way they were sending information over to Xero.....after nearly a month of paying for an accountancy program that didn't work with Shopify, I decided it was time to leave.

I emailed Xero and told them about my disappointment and with fair dues to them, a friendly chap offered to speak to me on the phone and share my screen and sorted the issue out in around half a minute. It's a shame it took almost four weeks for someone to solve the (simple) issue.

Once this problem was solved, another issue came up...basically, when I issue a discount to a customer in Shopify, instead of showing the discount in Xero, it basically shows the following: 'Rounding adjustment: total price was $257.85' and just deducts the VAT from the discount amount. This figure is pretty useless to my customer and to the Taxman as there is no explanation of it. Also, the figure shows as dollars but the invoice Total shows as Sterling as we are in the UK.

Again, I spoke to Xero, who told me to speak to Shopify. I spoke with shopify and was told that
their developers will look at it and as soon as there is an update, they'll let me know....not really helpful when I'm depending on this thing to provide my invoices to customers.

When I asked how long it might take, I was told 'I couldn't say how long it might take, but our developers are looking in to the issue' I was also told to use the Shopify Order print app for my invoices and maybe look into some other order synching apps for Xero....Not really helpful at all.

Why would you promote an app as 'Seamless reporting of sales, products and taxes in Xero' and not repair an issue that is obviously causing users a problem?

I can only give it two stars as I am not able to send my customers invoices (which was the whole point of me downloading it and subscribing to Xero!)

Such a shame because the rest of the app seems great, this could so easily have been a 5 star review.

Dimitrius Couppis  

Hi Thea and Shopify

Can't give more than 2 stare for now. Most merchants use multiple payment options such as Shopify Payments and Paypal, the fact that this app only can sync one of them is a big problem for us. Please fix.

Alexander Andersson  

Hi Sheriece, Thank you for outlining your integration requests so clearly. The app is being reviewed now, but hard to predict timing for new features/updates. We will update this thread as well as add a notification in the app itself.

Thea @ Shopify  

Any update on V2 and what features we can expect?

We are hoping for the same things as so many above:

1. Inventory management -for us, we list regular retail prices but wholesale buyers can also log in to see wholesale pricing. I would need both types of sales to update from our inventory, ideally.

2. Shopify fees should be Direct Costs and not Expenses

3. Payments from multiple payment methods (especially Shopify payments and Paypal)

4. Syncing to multiple Sales Accounts in order to differentiate sales in different departments.

Any updates would be so appreciated.

Sheriece Morris  

@Lisa -- thanks for letting us know about the transaction descriptions. In the US and Canada it does show Shopify, but not currently for UK and Australia. We've reached out to our contact at Stripe to see if they can updated in these two countries. I will keep you posted!

@Jeremy -- we're looking into how we can make this easier for you. Can you please email me your store URL?

Thea @ Shopify  

I run a Canadian company, however our shopify store (which sells mostly to customers in USA) only uses USD. We use the multi-currency feature in Xero with CAD as our main currency.

The problem I've experienced with this app is that the payout fees and adjustments are exporting in CAD when they should be in USD. Everything else exports in our store currency (USD), but the fees account exports in CAD.

The only workaround I can see is to uncheck the export option for the fees, and manually input the fees in Xero so that they are in the correct currency. Wish there was a way to get this to work for my situation.

Jeremy Sundell  

We have this working successfully (see Hubby's review above) but have now hit an issue related to bank reconciliation of these payments in Xero ... I guess it is not strictly an issue with the plug-in but with Shopify Payments.

We use Shopify Payments (based on Stripe) for sales via Shopify and we use Stripe for self-service payment of Invoices directly into Xero (our accounting system) for non-web channel sales.
When the payments hit our bank both the transaction descriptions are of the format "STRIPE STRIPE-xxxxxxxxxxx".
This causes problems with the automatic bank reconciliation rules we want to set up in Xero as we have no way to distinguish a Shopify payments transaction from a Stripe transaction.
Personally I think the Shopify transaction description should be something like "SHOPIFY STRIPE-xxxxxxxxxxx" - with this we can distinguish the two transaction types in our automatic bank reconciliation rules in Xero.

Lisa King  

Hi Shaun - would love to give you a hand on this. Can you shoot me an email thea@shopify.com and we can trouble shoot.

Thea @ Shopify  

I am doing the integration for a client between Shopify and Xero and have been really disappointed with the support provided around the integration and in particular the Tax Settings section. The support person at at Shopify advised they couldn't find any notes at their end regarding this and advised me to talk to Xero. I did this and Xero told me they were unable to provide detailed support regarding the integration as it was built by Shopify. So i'm left to solve the puzzle myself. Not good enough.

Shaun Wadham  

The service is clean and UI is nice and simple/intuitive. I look forward to integrating the Xero app into my accounting more as I attempt to migrate from Quickbooks.

Josh Dellay  

@Kelley,

For inventory, do you have it set so product inventory is being tracked by Shopify or that it isn't? While you are not able to track COGS in Shopify, it should be able to be tracked within Xero. Please send me an email with more detail so we can look in.

@Dion,

Thank you for your feedback. Adding Paypal to a separate account is something we are considering adding in the future. We will update this thread with any new functionality.

@Daniel,

We've put together a reconciliation guide which explains how the sync between Xero and Shopify work. You can see it here: https://docs.shopify.com/manual/apps/apps-by-shopify/xero/reconciliation. You can reconcile the total order payments + fees with your bank deposit (for Shopify Payments only).

Thea @ Shopify  

Is there someone that can explain the best way to set up integration and how the feed from shopify should integrate into xero?
I import a sales receipt for a sales amount, customer name and item ordered, but the bank deposit is not going to match because shopify fees are automatically removed.
Is there an easy way to match bank import information?

Daniel Glusman  

The Shopify Xero Integration is a start but a terrible product without the ability to Sync Stripe Payments to 1 Account and your PayPal payments to another!

When is V2 going to be available currently its almost costing more time than just manually entering in data.

Im also hoping with V2 your Fees and Transactions along with the Stripe deposits correspond.

Amion Services Pty Ltd Dion Parsons  

I am in the same boat as everyone else. Without a way to keep inventory and assign cost of goods sold you're forced to manually enter every single transaction from a COGS perspective. We left Shopify in search of a better solution and found out that Squarespace is even worse. They cannot even get the sales side right. Does anyone have any suggestions on good commerce offerings that integrate well with Xero?

On that note, we are primarily a B2B company with about 25% of our sales B2C coming from the web. We are using Handshake and are blown away with the ability that Handshake and Xero integrate. For B2B companies definitely check them out.

As for Shopify- Suggestion- grab some programmers from Handshake or pass along this info to your team: "Xero is the source of record in terms of products, cost of products, and only pricing is set in Handshake. This should be the same for Shopify. For customers using Xero, products should be imported from Xero which carry a cost basis and inventory count (which Xero just dialed in). Then, when a product is purchased in Shopify an invoice would be created using the sales/price data from Shopify and the Cost, Inventory, and Product data would come from Xero. Our account syncs every 6 hours or so to reconcile inventory in case you have multiple sales channels (i.e. Shopify-B2C, Handshake-B2B).

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Kelley Smith  

Hi Macartan,
Thanks for your feedback. Other than the multiple payment types, what features are you looking to see in V2?

Thea @ Shopify  

I'm just after syncing my Shopfiy and Xero apps and my initial enthusiasm is giving way to resignation that it isn't what I hope it would be at all. The basics are good, but as pointed out by Mariel, we really need more than 1 Sales line and Bank account as we get paid by EFT/Paypal/Stripe. The volume of transactions we have make removing and redoing a big task.

When is v2 expected to be out?!

COMMENT 2: (29/1/16)

Thanks for coming back to me Thea. I can't seem to be able to add another comment so I've just expanded on this below my original one.

Based on my limited work with the integration to date I would love the following:

1. Ability to map Product Categories between Shopify to Xero so that the Xero P&L Revenue lines can reflect the different types of product sales.
2. Ability to map payment method in Shopify (EFT/Credit Care/Paypal/Stripe etc) to the respective bank account that will be hit in Xero, sharing the gross amount, discount, shipping and fees associated etc.
3. An issue I've had straight away is that invoices are raised and shown inclusive of GST in Shopify but when they are pushed into Xero, they come in exclusive of GST and there is a large rounding amt (typically $20 ish) added on each and every invoice to make it equal the net payment amt received. When you have 100+ transactions a day that is not good! Can you advise why this is happening? I've changed the Xero invoice settings to be inclusive of GST also but that doesn't seem to make a difference or apply to those previously raised. Also, I think that the ability to customise this or at least be made aware of if as part of the integration set up is integral.
4. The most customisations around the info pushing from Shopify into Xero the better so that we can cross check to ensure that there will be consistency in the data and it's form that comes across. I did a trial for 1 days worth of data and it brought up so many issues, hence my comments above.
5. Related to point 4, is there a way to bulk undo a data import from Shopfiy into Xero if for example the settings were not configured correctly the first time around?

Please let me know. Cheers.

ps. No planned date for v2 release then?

Macartan Gaughan  

I really like Xero (tried QuickBooks first but it was too inflexible), and I really like the connection with Shopify, but its hard not to feel a little lost with regard to this integration.

With me just bumbling through it, the integration is going pretty well so far. It would have been great to have a recommended best practices when setting up the two accounts as I didn’t realize that using the inventory tracking system in Xero creates errors with automatic imports of sales data from Shopify. And I’m still trying to figure out how to best work out that process.

Its great that Shopify automatically sends the orders over to Xero, but all my order imports in Xero are causing errors because I initially set up a few products to track inventory in Xero. My inventory tracking in Shopify is imprecise and easily manipulated. I'd rather instantly know the exact value of all my stock, which can ONLY be done if I track inventory in Xero. But automatic order imports don't register the inventory numbers in Xero and if I have any items that have no inventory it causes an error while importing.

I'd also love it if I could have more control over the home page of Xero, so I could instantly see my inventory value, my sales data, and use it as my primary dashboard for checking on my business health.

Andreea Borcea  

We're happy with Xero. Sure there are rough spots around the edges as with any new integration, but the main job of bookkeeping is done. We see sales automatically, our advertising expenses and budgets are tracked with relative ease, and management reports are there in a flash. If it gets too messy I just invite our accountant with a click and he sorts out what's necessary. And... we can check up on it through the mobile app which is also convenient.

Improvement we'de love to see:
1. Multiple bank account (now we manually have to remove and redo PayPal so the balance isn't in the main bank account)
2. Inventory... ideal is API push from Shopify. Less ideal is a CSV report from Shopify. Also need an easy way to add our cost during the import so we have inventory finances.
3. Shopify Payment Fees - each sale has two transactions (sale+fee), and it's hard to correlate between the fee and the order/purchase since the fee debit doesn't indicate the invoice/order number
4. PayPal transaction import - should be simpler

Keep up the good work!

James - kyBoot Walk On Air  

For us the integration has been a great time saver. We might have a slightly simpler setup then some others and as such have not had any issue with any of the limitations mentioned above.

In our case we use Shopify as our central order system for both Wholesale as well as online orders and then use Xero for our central accounting system. All our orders get automatically exported every night from Shopify to Xero and we do the Invoicing for Wholesale in Xero and use the automated reminders.

The real timesaving for us is that we do not need to add transactions manually and all transactions are synced automatically. Both Xero and Shopify being easy to use tools so for us this is a great combination!

Thomas Goepel  

Hi Mariel + Daryl,

First off, thank you for the feedback about the Shopify app for Xero, we appreciate it. For the issues you have addressed, I've added our updates below:

1) Syncs to only 1 Sales Account
We are looking at adding this functionality in V2 and in the process of determining the scope.

2) Does not sync to Item Inventory Codes in Xero
We are brainstorming ways to creatively make this work. Ideally this will be available in V2, but requires additional resources.

3) Syncs to only 1 Bank Account
We are also looking at adding this functionality in V2.

We will post updates on this thread once new features are added.

Thea @ Shopify  

I am having a terrible time with my shopify to xero sync for all of the reasons outlined by Mariel, but she rates both higher much than I would. Xero is okay but I've been waiting for two years for Shopify to do something about their comically inadequate reporting and no luck. I can't even get taxes by month. I have multiple sales channels that aren't captured, different tax scenarios that aren't captured and thousands of skus so a manual excel process isn't really an option. I need database to speak to database and it's definitely not happening now. I'm looking at alternatives, does anyone have any recommendations?

Daryl Aitken  

Update: Hi Daniel Glusman, apparently one can't reply to a post if they've already posted. For the Shopify integration, you can select for Shopify to export the Merchant Fees. If you do this, when you are reconciling you will select Find & Match and then check the box to Show Spent Transactions. Alternatively, you can choose not to export the fees and instead enter the fee at the bottom of the expanded reconcile window. See more here: https://help.xero.com/us/BankAccounts-Reconciliation-BankFee

I LOVE XERO, it's the Shopify to Xero integration that could almost get 1 star. I gave 3 stars because Xero and Shopify individually are 5 star.

1) Syncs to only 1 Sales Account. (more detail below)
2) Does not sync to Item Inventory Codes in Xero
3) Syncs to only 1 Bank Account (so if you receive PayPal and Direct Shopify Checkout, then you have to Remove & Redo payments applied in Xero in order to reconcile the payments to the deposits in the PayPal Bank Feed)

If you only have one product line and Shopify is your only income source, then the integration will work great for you.

If you have one type of product line or Sales department (aka you do not sort your sales in your Chart of Accounts in Xero to show on the Income Statement by department such as Home Goods Sales, Jewelry Sales, Textile Sales and you only have ONE Sales Account, then this app is ok.

Example, if I do sort by Sales Department for granular detail in Xero Reports, then this integration doesn't work. It only exports sales to one account, so I have to login to Shopify to look at their reports to see the product type sales performance, and if I do have sales outside of Shopify, then the records in Xero will not be correct.

This goes for Inventory Items too. If you're trying to maintain accurate records with Inventory in Xero, this app could not care less.

The work around is to export the Shopify Orders to excel to sort and manipulate the data for import into Xero as invoices in order to capture the Items and appropriate Sales Accounts.

I'm all for automation if it makes life easier, but sometimes these shortcuts result in more work and it's easier to do a manual export. I have requested these updates since August 2015, and write this review in good faith that these awesome companies will release these improvements soon.

Mariel Diaz  

I am a small business owner based in the USA with a very limited accounting background and Xero has made the transition to accounting and bookkeeping quite easy. Xero has also kept my accounting tasks to a manageable time allotment. The ease of use is tangible, the plug ins help tremendously and eager to see that list grow. This product is a very smart investment and a key product to the health of my business. Best return on investment I have seen.

Nicole Murphy  

@Scott -

Shoot our support team an email and we can take a look (support@shopify.com) for you.

Thea @ Shopify  

@Bart -

Yes, the integration works worldwide. During app set up, you will need to map your tax rates (applicable to AU, NZ, & UK). Here's how: https://docs.shopify.com/manual/more/official-shopify-apps/xero/set-up#uk-au-nz

Thea @ Shopify  

Overall I am happy with this app and it has improved our daily workflow. We handle over a thousand shopify transactions each month and this app has allowed us to easily reconcile, sales, returns and credits easily.

That being said, the app was originally released prematurely, and caused an issue where sales sent to Xero were marked with strange SH-XXXXX SKU numbers instead of the real SKU numbers I had setup both in Xero and Shopify. Shopify customer service said the issue was fixed going forward (it is) but they had no fix for the retroactive issue other than deleting my products in Shopify and setting them up a second time. This is a major issue for reporting sales by SKU out of Xero. Shopify and Xero should have chilled on the release for a few weeks until this major issue was fixed.

Matt Brown  

The integration has become a huge time saver for most parts. I am, however, having issues with tracking inventory accurately and assigning to cost of goods sold. This is especially true if customers pay via PayPal. I'm currently running Zapier to create invoices in Xero after each successful PayPal transaction, however the transactions aren't pulling in the item code, and as such, inventory (cost of goods) isn't being tracked accurately.

If there's one thing I'd recommend fixing it's this

Andrew Paprocki  

So far I'm pretty happy with the integration of Shopify & Xero. It is better than a couple other platform integrations I have going.
- It syncs and updates automatically on a daily basis.
- Each sale is recorded on an invoice including customer name, address, and order details.
- Payment is applied against each invoice.
- Merchant fees from Shopify are also automatically recorded (daily total). NOTE: the merchant fees are recorded via manual journal each day -- which is somewhat odd. It'll clutter up your MJEs list. I used an integration once that used credit notes for fees on each sale, which was a bit cleaner. But at least the integration is doing the work for me! And it works.
- Merchant fees must be linked to an expense account (rather than a direct cost account), otherwise it won't post. I have a bit of a problem with this since I see these fees as a direct cost that should be included in the gross margin.
- An odd thing regarding customer names: when you first start the integration, it won't lookup and link new sales to existing customers. It'll re-create the customer with a "-1" at the end of the name... So now I have most of my existing customers duplicated. But once the customers are linked, it won't continue to duplicate. Just take note: This will create some cleanup work in the beginning.

------
Hey All,
I just wanted to add a comment about how I handle taking payment from multiple merchant services. My client currently accepts both PayPal and Shopify payments in their store. I mapped to a Clearing account (instead of a bank account), so the bank issue has not been a problem. If you use this method, you won't have to remove a bunch of transactions from one account to another -- avoiding all that busy work. Hope this helps!

Julia Ullrich  

I have it successfully working here in the UK after some initial challenges. Some things to be mindful of:
1.) The Expense account you use for the Shopify/Stripe merchant fees needs to be of sub-type Expense too otherwise it will not appear in the config UI in Shopify.
2.) When testing manually there's a good chance that you'll set the date window to cover one day. Which means there is a reasonable chance that you won't see anything in the fees account since they only get taken off at payout time which is 6 or so days later.
3.) I discovered it was changing my inventory name, description and pricing settings within Xero each time I did an import - very nasty if you're in the UK and retail prices (inc-VAT) have to be shown on the website but your primary business is B2B and inventory pricing in Xero is therefore set as ex-VAT. I had a few email conversations with Shopify about it and they appear to have fixed this but I suggest you run a few manual imports and make sure it is not having any side effects in your inventory settings in Xero first. Check under the History for the inventory item in Xero.
4.) Re: earlier poster: I think the date window may need to be at least one day for you actually export anything.
5.) It does seem to have got slow today as well - the Shopify UI appears to hang on Exporting even though the entries have appeared the other side in Xero. After a while it seems to complete OK.

Yes - it would be good to be able to put the Shopify sales into different accounts according to Product Group - but this is a big step forward from manually entering data.

P.S. My 4* rating is based on where it is now and the business process improvement we have. A few days ago it would have been lower.

Roger King  

I have attempted to export my shopify data to my xero account, it sates that it was successful, But the information is not in Xero, very tedious.

Scott Lattimer  

Is this up and running, even at its basic level, for Xero Australia? Thanks.

Bart Kuiper  

Hi April,
Sorry to hear that there are some key things missing for you. Good news is that we are working on addressing each of them.

1) We have just introduced this feature in the app. You can enable that in the app settings under "Export Settings".

2) We have updated and more detailed documentation coming soon.

3) You are free to set purchase details on the items (such as cost price) and this should give you basic financials since we send over items sold on each invoice. Although you should not have any issues using the integration with tracked inventory, we will be looking at this in more detail to see what features might be needed and to provide more guidance.

Thanks for the feedback April!

Aaron @ Shopify  

The integration is a major step in the right direction. It has the potential to save small businesses significant monthly fees. However, the offering leaves a lot to be desired.

1) data does not sync automatically. The user has to initiate the sync from Shopify. This adds an extra step and increases the risk that the accountant/finance staff does not have up to date information in Shopify.

2) There is little to no documentation available on the Shopify site and no documentation available in xero. Is this still a beta release?

3) It's not clear how inventory management is expected to function. If I want inventory financials in Xero to come from Shopify, do I need to switch to tracked inventory? If so, how do I ensure the items sent from Shopify are correctly matched to the items in Xero? This will require significant setup work and there is no guide on how to do this.

Please beef up the documentation, simplify the setup process, incorporate inventory management for both fracked and untracked inventory, and develop a true real-time transfer capability. This could have been a five star review but the execution feels rushed and incomplete. Hopefully enhancements are coming soon...

April Gabriel