Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Help Center

Xero Business Community

Community > Using Xero Add-ons >

Vend integration - Guidelines

Started by Diego Allera -   in Using Xero Add-ons

Hello, I havent seen any guidelines about the integration with Vend.
Eventhough it should be rather simple, there certain areas that would required a clarification:

Payables Invoices and Inventory. When stock is received in Vend, you can create a Payable Invoice in Xero. However when it reaches Xero, the Invoice doest post the stock on Item level. It comes lines by line, but it doesnt bring the item code, so afterwards is not possible to keep track of the stock in Xero.

Please provide guidelines on this please.

Cheers
Hi Diego

Documentation on integrations is generally on the Add-on partner's website (as they will have built the integration). Vend have a really good page on the integration here: http://support.vendhq.com/entries/20789858-setting-up-xero-integration

To answer your specific question though, stock is best tracked in Vend as they have the full inventory management functionality, the thinking being you can run the reports you need within Vend.

If that isn't giving you enough detail, or there are reports you would like to see in Xero, it would be great to get more detail from you so we can understand your requirements better, and pass it on to Vend.

Ronan

Ronan Quirke (Community Manager)  

Hi Ronan,

I have reviewed the Vend Guidelines thoroughly, but found no answer to my question.
If Vend and Xero are fully integrated, it should allow a match on item level.
Right now, sales and purchases come with line item detail on the description field, but they dont come with item code, which is the enabler for inventory tracking in Xero.

Diego Allera  

Hi Diego,

The current version of the Vend-Xero integration does not include inventory at this stage. This is because, as Ronan mentioned, Xero doesn't have stock tracking functionality; so the item tracking is done in Vend with the payable value being sent through to Xero. The item names are still sent through from Vend and come through as a description, so that you are able to reference this in Xero.

We do appreciate ideas from our users, and I have passed your feedback on to our product team for you. We are working on improving the integration in the next wee while, and part of this is also improving our documentation around the Vend-Xero integration, so hopefully you'll notice a few improvements around this in the near future :-)

--
Kind Regards,
Lauren Taylor

Senior Customer Support at Vend

Vend Support  

Please note some important changes to the Vend-Xero integration posted over on the Vend Support site.

Catherine Walker (Community Manager)  

Terrible Vend – Xero Defect
Vend can use many sales tax rates, but ties each rate to a separate Vend store or inventory item.

For 40+ years, all billing programs I have known could override sales tax rates when invoicing, without requiring separate inventory items for each tax rate. Even small retailers must wholesale occasionally and small wholesalers must retail occasionally. Many companies also may sell in nearby towns or counties, with different tax rates. Vend need not have Avalara’s 15,000 U.S. sales tax districts, but it must let us select a different sales tax rate when invoicing, without needing a different inventory item for each rate.

This is outrageously unacceptable. It is so fundamental that we did not test it before suggesting Vend to a client. They now want a full refund for our QuickBooks to Xero and Vend conversion time, including related integration and training. It is only a Xero issue to the extent that Xero also did not properly test Vend before announcing integration. That is why I most respectfully request that Xero promptly confirm this problem and require a prompt Vend fix, or stop listing Vend as an integrated product.

MIKE BLOCK CPA  

Mike Block QuickBooks Xero CPA • I over-dramatized above because an associate did not involve me quickly, Vend did not answer in a day and it is an insane time of year for CPAs.

Peter Wen, an excellent Xero San Francisco CPA, quickly called and wrote repeatedly. He found a Vend button, next to invoiced sales tax, to quickly and easily delete tax. He also made me recall my 40 year old workaround.

Create billable items for each rate, with no inventory quantity tracking. Price each at with one rate (.07, .08, etc). Enter one, with the invoice total as the quantity, to instantly get any tax needed.

Right after I that I got a nice long email from Nick Houldsworth (nick@vendhq.com), copied to 5 other Vend people. It said Vend will have Tax Groups for all Canadian provinces this week and the U.S. tax changes wanted soon (no ETA). By then I also realized that U.S. taxes were very different from the uniform GST or VAT taxes in New Zealand, Australia and the UK. We can even use several Vend stores, with an inexpensive Bizelo add-on for multi-location sales and inventory.

I will gladly help others having problems, but hope you have more patience than I did.

http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=1415817&type=member&item=229525599&commentID=129720537&report%2Esuccess=8ULbKyXO6NDvmoK7o030UNOYGZKrvdhBhypZ_w8EpQrrQI-BBjkmxwkEOwBjLE28YyDIxcyEO7_TA_giuRN#commentID_129720537

MIKE BLOCK CPA