Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > Feature Requests >
Vote

Statistical Accounts

Started by Greg Andrew in Feature Requests | Idea

I would like the ability to load statistical data into Xero. Things like headcount, venue seating capacity, weather, temperature and so on. We capture this data now but it cannot be incorporated into Xero for use in dashboards except by doing it through Excel outside of Xero with all the inherent issues with spreadsheet data.

I believe the easiest way would be to have an account type that did not roll up to the income statement or the balance sheet.

Does anyone have a current solution for this?
Hi Greg, if you're after more of a conversation with the community you could also seek others thoughts on this in Discussions, across in Xero Central? 🙂

Though it's great to see you're ideas flowing through here in Business Community - I do want to be pretty honest that these sort of stats (temperature, weather, capacity) goes quite far outside the current reporting on offer within Xero - To render within a report there'd need to be a way and place for capturing or recording this data within your Xero organisation.

For now, depending on your line of business and way in which you use Xero, you could look into the use of Tracking, or Contact Groups or Smart Lists. Otherwise, there's also connected apps from our ecosystem that can likely provide the service you're after here.

Kelly M (Community Manager)

Thanks Kelly, we are a Church and so attendance is an important metric to us and weather can impact attendance. We currently report this outside of Xero but would love to be able to include it in our dashboards, and metric calculations off those numbers in our financials would be important.

I have worked in other industries and there are lots of metrics that are important to different industries - floor space, mill capacity, production volumes and so on. Or at least they should be important to their business!!!

I think it would benefit a large number of the Xero users to have these measure integrated with their financial numbers to see the appropriate "per unit" calculation for their company or industry.

Many accounting systems I have worked with in the past provide this by having an account class for statistics and whilst they do not get included in the Profit and Loss or Balance Sheet rollups, they are available to calculate metrics for comparison between units in their business - in our case metrics based on attendance, but it could be cost per sq ft for some other industries, or cost per ton of production.

Greg Andrew

Aaah thanks for the background, Greg - Really helps in the passing through to the teams and their understanding of and purpose in the idea.
We do have another conversation where people would like the ability to set units of measure for line items within Xero, and you may also be interested in joining the idea here, too.

Kelly M (Community Manager)

Agree 100% Greg. We have a small Funds Management business. Funds under management (FUM) are not the asset of the management company but drive most of the key revenue and cots lines. To record FUM statistically would be a great help. In my experience most lager accounting packages offer this facility. I was amazed to find that Xero does not.

Andrew Manning

A headcount report is absolutely needed. Not only is this something that is reported in annual accounts (optional for some countries, necessary for others). This needs to be developed, so that average headcount numbers for a year can be calculated, and also it would be useful to track movements of employee numbers by month

Brian Wright