Xero - beautiful accounting software

Xero Business Community

Xero Business Community

Hi everyone, Come on over to the new discussions in Xero Central. It’s a more intuitive way to connect and chat all things business with one another. Ask questions, dish out answers, and get involved.

You can still view topics in the Xero Business Community to see all the useful knowledge that’s been shared there; and you can restart conversations you feel have been of huge value to you on Xero Central.

If you have brilliant ideas for innovations, you can keep on adding feature requests in the Xero Business Community, and voting on existing requests. There’s more in store, as we come up with the best way to take on your thoughts and share developments
Community > AU Payroll >

AU Payroll: Pay Run - Ad hoc calendar for bonuses/commissions

Started by Lisa Hill -   in AU Payroll

Hi, I'm new to Xero... Trying to enter a employees payroll transaction to include a few special payments ie bonus etc that isn't included in the usual payrun.

I need to be able to enter these details in a 'one off' type pay run and Xero only lets me set up a pay run as a 'weekly', 'monthly' etc type of calendar. There is no one-off payment option.

Can anyone help me with this?

Cheers
Lisa
WA
Official Xero Reply
Hi Kathryn I can see that you’ve been in touch with one of the Support guys, but for the benefit of others here I’ll post the answer you received. To create a bonus payment you’ll need to create a new earnings rate, add a new pay run, and possibly apply a manual tax adjustment to the payment.

First create a new earnings rate (if applicable) called Bonus. Payroll Settings > Pay Items > Add Earnings Rate, Name "Bonus", Select "Fixed Amount" as Rate Type and save.

Then, go into your Pay Runs > Add Pay Run > select employee > Add Earnings Line > select the "Bonus" earnings rate > enter the required amount payable. Alternatively, this could be processed in an unscheduled pay run.

To see if you need to apply a manual tax adjustment line to this payment, please check with the ATO guide on Bonuses and similar payments.

This is important to get correct so do get in touch with Support, or your accountant if you have any further questions.

Brittany H (Community Manager)